A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:18 pm

No.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 pm

My Hinderer XM-24 arrived the other day.

I can say without a doubt this is the ultimate EDC/Duty carry knife I have ever handled.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

jhack
Rookie Member

Postby jhack » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Hello everyone. long time reader, first time posting. What are you guys using to keep an edge on your knives?
I just bought the lansky Sharpener online from mec, wondering if anyone has had any luck with it. I was tempted
to buy the edge pro apex or better yet the wicked edge system, but that's a lot of cash to drop on something your not gonna use that often.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Any of those sharpening systems will serve you well.

Practice is the key and maintaining the proper angles for the edges.

What do I use?

I have my knives sharpened by a professional, or by a guy with wet stones.

I cannot, never have, never will, posses what it takes to properly sharpen a knife and maintain it's appearance.

Canadian Knife maker George Tichbourne (RIP) used to have his shop down the street from me, and he re profiled my Strider for me so it was surgically sharp.

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm

So I've gotten the bug. Started off innocently, now I'm up to 9 or 10 blades.

Just picked up a Zero Tolerance ZT0350, and love it.

"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 pm

^The 350's are sweet, and they now come in tiger striped blades.

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 pm

SPC wrote:So I've gotten the bug. Started off innocently, now I'm up to 9 or 10 blades.

Just picked up a Zero Tolerance ZT0350, and love it.

Carry one everyday. Probably my favourite knife

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 am

I love these knives; they remind me of the benchmade skirmish knife.

Btw ATR how can I get my hands on one. If you have one, name your price.

Also I have a link that you will be very interested in so I sent you a PM let me know what you think.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

wonka1990
Veteran Member

Postby wonka1990 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:50 pm

I have all kinds of knives, including an emerson, and by far my favourite is my ZT0350, I carry it everyday.
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Just bought the CRKT ringed Razel knife. Can’t wait to get it :D
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 pm

^Razels are the bomb.

I still have not picked one up, but a very form and functional tool for duty and personal carry.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Got it for 75 bucks, regular price is 130.

POLICE OFFICER

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 pm

jhack wrote:Hello everyone. long time reader, first time posting. What are you guys using to keep an edge on your knives?
I just bought the lansky Sharpener online from mec, wondering if anyone has had any luck with it. I was tempted
to buy the edge pro apex or better yet the wicked edge system, but that's a lot of cash to drop on something your not gonna use that often.

Lee Valley has a good assortment of sharpening equipment... If you go to the Lee Valley (.ca) site, go to Woodworking section, then they have an entire section for Sharpening.

I have a few of their wet stones and a honing guide, and some of their micro-abrasive sheets. They work really well, but you have to have some patience and learn some technique to get it right.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Does anyone have any experience or opinions (informed or not :) ) on Blade-Tech knives? I saw them at a show in Seattle last fall and they appeared to have some very nice stuff. They make most of it in their plant just south of Seattle. They also private-brand for 5.11 and others, from what I understand.
Last edited by mark y on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Bladetech is mid range stuff upto higher end productions. They are good to go. My son has a bright blue Mouse model.

The 5.11 folders are shit, pure shit. Fine for just utility pocket stuff, but not duty material at all.

However that doe not include the 5.11 Tarani Karambits, or their fixed blades.

There is also the Mike Vellencamp (SP?) 5.11 folders, which are pretty good.

For those loacl in the GTA, the weekend of MArch 9th 2013, is the Canadian Knife Makers Guild Show in Rexdale.

I "May" or "May Not" be working a table offering higher end duty carry stuff.

Pop buy for LEO table top offerings.