A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Buman
Rookie Member

Re: A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Postby Buman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 am

Got myself a Spyderco Delica as my first duty knife. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet but I'm pretty happy with my choice.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:34 pm

I picked up a S&W 1st Responder at MD a little while back as a spare knife... So far it seems like a nice piece of kit.

I was told at work today by a Supervisor (Best not to argue with those who outrank you...) that any knife that can be opened one handed is/are illegal. My understanding is that anything that can open via a switch or centrifugal force are prohib. Assisted opening knives on the other hand are not.

I've checked the Criminal code as well, and it seems to support what I thought.... I obviously dont carry the thing as a weapon. It's a tool much like the Leatherman on my belt... But I keep it as sometimes I just need a knife and its handy to keep a pocket folder on me.

Anyways, Any light that any of you can shed on the subject?

Also lastly, I obviously dont carry around a folder outside of work either... (not much of a need for it downtown...)
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:53 pm

You are correct Tommy. Spring assisted or opened by centrifugal force makes it illegal. If opening it with one hand made it illegal, X-Acto knifes would be illegal. Point that out to your supervisor.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:47 pm

meathead1 wrote:You are correct Tommy. Spring assisted or opened by centrifugal force makes it illegal. If opening it with one hand made it illegal, X-Acto knifes would be illegal. Point that out to your supervisor.

When did spring assisted become illegal?
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 pm

don't know when, but it is.

S. 84 of the Criminal Code:
“prohibited weapon” means

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife,
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Tommy wrote:I picked up a S&W 1st Responder at MD a little while back as a spare knife... So far it seems like a nice piece of kit.

I was told at work today by a Supervisor (Best not to argue with those who outrank you...) that any knife that can be opened one handed is/are illegal. My understanding is that anything that can open via a switch or centrifugal force are prohib. Assisted opening knives on the other hand are not.

I've checked the Criminal code as well, and it seems to support what I thought.... I obviously dont carry the thing as a weapon. It's a tool much like the Leatherman on my belt... But I keep it as sometimes I just need a knife and its handy to keep a pocket folder on me.

Anyways, Any light that any of you can shed on the subject?

Also lastly, I obviously dont carry around a folder outside of work either... (not much of a need for it downtown...)

Maybe your supervisor is just really uncoordinated and is jealous? :mrgreen:

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:17 pm

meathead1 wrote:don't know when, but it is.

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife,

The automatic opening (as spring assist is) is only illegal if it is actuated by pressing a button (etc) on the handle of the knife. Many knives that are spring assisted and legal to carry in Canada are actuated by pressing a protrusion on the blade of the knife.

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 pm

meathead1 wrote:don't know when, but it is.

Oh, right. I actually knew that, just had a brain freeze.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 pm

On a related note, I got a new toy today, which I put to immediate use in preparing a meal:

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:05 pm

meathead1 wrote:You are correct Tommy. Spring assisted or opened by centrifugal force makes it illegal. If opening it with one hand made it illegal, X-Acto knifes would be illegal. Point that out to your supervisor.

This is what I wanted to point out to him, especially considering that They just ordered a bunch of folding box cutters for the warehouse staff... But apparently his father in-law "the cop" told him this, and as I'm sure many of you can appreciate, This was not the hill I was going to die on as it were... If he wants to believe that, he can go right ahead, as long as he doesn't bother me about it...

Goodwitness wrote:Maybe your supervisor is just really uncoordinated and is jealous?

Well.... he IS Navy...... :smirk:
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Sumo_CPO wrote:On a related note, I got a new toy today, which I put to immediate use in preparing a meal:

That looks amazing..........Food looks ok too :D I want a gentleman jim too Sumo, super cool :thumbsup:
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 am

It's a thing of beauty, B. Slim and elegant like the A100, but it's got the Wave. :mrgreen:

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 am

Sumo_CPO wrote:It's a thing of beauty, B. Slim and elegant like the A100, but it's got the Wave. :mrgreen:

I love it. FR...or P-One........Bitchnutz, whatever he wants to be called this week? has a road house and I was really looking into one but.........I got a chance to check out the GJ at a USN meet and fell in love. Such a fast and sleek knife :drool:
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:09 am

Well, after searching for a long time for a good quality rescue tool and listening to the advice of my good friend A.T.R., I finally found exactly what I want. It has the easy-open main blade design similar to Spyderco and has two saw blades: a sharp seatbelt cutter (yeah, yeah ... why not just use the main blade??) and a wide-toothed saw blade designed to saw through laminated windshield glass. It also has a window-breaker spike on the end that I hope I never have to use.

While it has some stuff that seems redundant to me, at least it is a quality item and doesn't have some goofy oxygen tank wrench or whatever those things are on other rescue knives.

I also love the easy one-handed thumb opening design of the main blade and just to show you how sharp the seatbelt and main blades are, I had it less than five minutes before I cut myself and drew blood. Woohoo!

(You can see why I am not allowed to have sharp objects, only safe things like guns ...)

Because it is a Swiss Army Knife, it also has the requisite toothpick and tweezers in the handle, and I have also extensively tested the bottle opener on several bottles of Miller (strictly for testing and journalistic purposes I can assure you.)

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 am

Weird. I had you pegged for a Dos Equis kinda guy.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.