A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
NaOH
Rookie Member

Re: A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Postby NaOH » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't own an emerson personally, but I know the guys on this forum really like emersons. I personally use a ZT350 serrated at work.

What do you think of the 350 for a work knife? I have a ZT 302 that I really like but I'm not sure the recurve blade would be for duty use.

wonka1990
Veteran Member

Postby wonka1990 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:30 pm

NaOH wrote:
I don't own an emerson personally, but I know the guys on this forum really like emersons. I personally use a ZT350 serrated at work.

What do you think of the 350 for a work knife? I have a ZT 302 that I really like but I'm not sure the recurve blade would be for duty use.

I've never had a problem with it. It is my favourite knife to use while working. I have had many others (CRKT, SOG, Smith and Wesson) but the 350 is my favourite. I don't see much of a difference in the blade for the 302 to the 350...
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

NaOH
Rookie Member

Postby NaOH » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Good to hear.

Very similar knives. The 302 is just about 10% bigger in each direction.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Sun May 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Warriors and Wonders is running a Spyderco sale with Endura's starting at $49 until May 10th. Check it out!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon May 02, 2011 7:53 am

NatWood wrote:Warriors and Wonders is running a Spyderco sale with Endura's starting at $49 until May 10th. Check it out!

This is group buy pricing. Taxes/Shipping. Still an excellent deal.

The best one imho is the FG Endura CE. $48. I would also get the Grey FFG Endura.

Zero Tolerance has the Hinderer/ZT 0550 out. That is a beautiful collaboration knife. I would strongly advise if you can get one for the $200 mark, do so.

They are releasing it again but as a "Flipper" model.

Someone many pages back posted their G/F bought them the CRKT Ripple. I handled the all black Titanium model the other day. OMG I was impressed. Outstanding smaller "Gentleman" style folder for suit wear.

If I made an off comment about the Ripple in that post, I totally take it back.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Did that CRKT Ripple have the IKBS? I need to buy something with that bearing system so I can try it out, it's supposed to be super smooth.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Warriors and Wonders has the knife I want and it's on sale. I wonder if S&R can get it in- i don't see it on their site.
http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyderco/Spyderco_Para_Military_2_Black_Plain_Edge_w_Digi_Camo_Handle
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue May 03, 2011 8:44 am

NatWood wrote:Did that CRKT Ripple have the IKBS? I need to buy something with that bearing system so I can try it out, it's supposed to be super smooth.

It does have the IKBS.

OMG for a production knife it is so smooth. Im going to get it as well as the cousin to it the Eros. I have a few knives just sitting in a box Im not using so Im going to trade them in.

meathead1 wrote:Warriors and Wonders has the knife I want and it's on sale. I wonder if S&R can get it in- i don't see it on their site.
http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyderco/Spyderco_Para_Military_2_Black_Plain_Edge_w_Digi_Camo_Handle

I was there the other day. I think I saw that P2, but not sure. Call them and have Rodney do a price match. At least you will be saving taxes and shipping.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue May 03, 2011 8:44 am

Im also going to get the Spyderco PPT.......again.......and keep it this time.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Tue May 03, 2011 9:47 pm

meathead1 wrote:Warriors and Wonders has the knife I want and it's on sale. I wonder if S&R can get it in- i don't see it on their site.

Damn, I'll have to check when I get home if they offer that in black/grey digi-camo handle!
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Fri May 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Picked up this for under $30 bucks while on vacation. Awesome little knife..........

Spyderco Ambitious.......Really solid lock up, full flat grind, spyder hole and really good jimping. All in all a very solid little knife for every day use.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Chuk750

Postby Chuk750 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Well, I picked up the CQC 10.
So far no complaints, I really like the sturdy feel of the knife. Didnt have any quality control issues either, and what really surprised me was how sharp it was out of the box. I've heard lots of people compaining about the grinds of the different Emersons and how dull they are. If this is a dull knife then my Spyderco's might as well be butter knives.
The big I have noticed though is the weight, for EDC I still carrry my Endura but on duty the Emerson is with me all the time now.
I was going to pick up another one, but damn now that I've made this jump I think I'm going to start hiding a 20 here and a 20 there and grabbing a Strider.

Wonder what the divorce is going to cost me.... 88)
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 am

Chuk750 wrote:I've heard lots of people compaining about the grinds of the different Emersons and how dull they are.

Those poor, unenlightened chumps are referring to the countless EKI knockoffs that are floating around. Real Emersons are sharp enough to cut you if you look at them wrong.

And congrats on taking the plunge! :alright:
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat May 07, 2011 11:26 am

Well I traded in a few knives at S&R and got a very very fare trade value for them. They will sell them and make a bit of a profit so Im happy with that.

In return I got a Spyderco PPT and some other stuff, including a new smaller compact padded knife bag.

The PPT is a very robust, compact EDC.

Ripples were sold out and so were the Boker Haddocks.

I did get in the mail yesterday an Emerson CQC-14 (Stubby). It has a full sized handle with choil, but the blade is 3 inches, making it legal in the more stricter US States.

This is by far, the best Emerson I have ever owned. Much like the PPT, it becomes part of the hand and the blade disappears when you wield it.

Duty carry? Maybe not, but I could see it. EDC carry? Absolutley. Small 3 inch blades are an amazing standard fro SD purposes. Michael Janich swears by the Spyderco Delica, over the Endura, and the things he can do with such a small blade is unreal.

For those wanting a smaller blade, the CQC-14 is your choice when you move up in the market. IVe got just the lanyard from Sumo_Cpo to put on it as well.

Chuk750 wrote:Well, I picked up the CQC 10.
So far no complaints, I really like the sturdy feel of the knife. Didnt have any quality control issues either, and what really surprised me was how sharp it was out of the box. I've heard lots of people compaining about the grinds of the different Emersons and how dull they are. If this is a dull knife then my Spyderco's might as well be butter knives.
The big I have noticed though is the weight, for EDC I still carrry my Endura but on duty the Emerson is with me all the time now.
I was going to pick up another one, but damn now that I've made this jump I think I'm going to start hiding a 20 here and a 20 there and grabbing a Strider.

Wonder what the divorce is going to cost me.... 88)

The CQC 10 is an amazing choice. I had one, but I didn't feel for the smaller oval hole in the blade. I love the Emerson thumb stud. I passed it on to someone who will use it.

Good choice.

TwE@k wrote:Picked up this for under $30 bucks while on vacation. Awesome little knife..........

Spyderco Ambitious.......Really solid lock up, full flat grind, spyder hole and really good jimping. All in all a very solid little knife for every day use.

The utility following of the Ambitious is huge. Excellent for back pocket carry at work for task work. Keep it sharp.