A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Duty Knives

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:26 pm

goaliegibson wrote:Let's hope the Government makes a knife registry at some point to keep us safe. :wave:

^^^ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:33 pm

I just picked this up finally. The Kershaw Lahar. It's one of their "Flipper" deployed knives.

Outstanding so far. And for the price, cannot beat it.

If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 pm

A.T.R. wrote:
^^^ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Also nice flipper!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Didn't think anyone would get it.

Might be my next tat.

I liked the Lahar because it is sort of similar to the more expensive custom Hinderer XM-18. Zero Tolerance is releasing four new knives very soon, and two are flippers, very nice indeed.

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 pm

off topic but know any good tat places in the GTA? I've heard a few but I it's a big decision. Don't want someone messing up my tat to be.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 pm

goaliegibson wrote:off topic but know any good tat places in the GTA? I've heard a few but I it's a big decision. Don't want someone messing up my tat to be.

PM me. I will refer you to my guy.

Many referals there, zero complaints. Its in Toronto.

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 pm

goaliegibson wrote:off topic but know any good tat places in the GTA? I've heard a few but I it's a big decision. Don't want someone messing up my tat to be.

Bob Tyrell used to work out of Toronto every few times during the year, not sure if he still is. Here is his Detroit page:
http://www.bobtyrrell.com/

Blackline Studio is constantly bringing in guest artists from the states and europe that are really good. Take a word of advice though, don't use the guys who work for the shop. They suck. http://www.blacklinestudio.ca/?id=2

Also King of Fools has a guy named Shane Faulkner who is really good. http://www.myspace.com/kingoffoolstattoos

And of course check out TC's place. They do some good work too.

Just check their portfolio's before getting anything, and pick the artist you want. It's something that will live with you forever.
Last edited by TPS on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 pm

thanks for the replies. Should start a tattoo thread some day. I will take you up on your guy when I have some cash in hand. :thumbsup:
A.T.R. how do you find the flipper opener with gloves? They always say in the ads their great for gloves, but I don't see how they could be any better than a typical thumb stud or spyderco's "hole" haha.

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:49 am

goaliegibson wrote:thanks for the replies. Should start a tattoo thread some day. I will take you up on your guy when I have some cash in hand. :thumbsup:
A.T.R. how do you find the flipper opener with gloves? They always say in the ads their great for gloves, but I don't see how they could be any better than a typical thumb stud or spyderco's "hole" haha.

You ever try to open a knife with a thumb stud or hole while wearing gloves? It ain't easy, brah.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "flipper" on any knife, but it does work rather well while gloved up.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:09 am

Im trying it today, but I have to tell you the assisted opening knives like ZT and the larger CRKT knives work best for this.

I have the M21-G10 in my pocket lately and that works out real well wearing gloves and then deploying with the flipper. The spring action then takes over and locks out the blade.

I might go buy a few more of the CRKT models just to try them out. Very reasonable prices for economy knives that work.

I do like the M4 model. With just the black handles. Heavy knife but very sturdy and robust.

Discontinued in this handle.

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

I've found knives like this http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/military-rescue-knives.htm (sorry about the small pictures) with the flat lip on the top of the blade aren't too bad with leather/kevlar gloves. I've never tried the thumb stud/spyderco versions though. :ponder:

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:16 pm

A.T.R. wrote:I do like the M4 model. With just the black handles. Heavy knife but very sturdy and robust.

Discontinued in this handle.

I seem to recall seeing a similar handle on a custom knife a few years back. Can't remember if it was a Carson or not, though. Still, it's a nice looking piece.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:44 pm

A.T.R. wrote:
Burick wrote:Where did you pick up the Matriarch at? I like.

i got it from a friend who scours the internet forums for deals. I said I wanted it and he is very charitable, so he sold it to me.

It's apart right now. The clip and screw are drying with a new coat of flat black primer, and the FRN handles are going tot get a scrub of dish soap to get some of the grime out. And then a nice oil rub down.

The ATR I got, Im strongly thinking of sending that down for the Up-Armored Dura-Coat.

I read that Spyderco might do a sprint run of Matriarchs this year. They've been discontinued for a while and therefore command higher prices. I've got one too- carried on occassion, never used ;)

three-six
Rookie Member

Postby three-six » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:12 pm

I use a flipper and love it. Really handy with gloves on or if you only have one hand free.
--

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:07 pm

My Kershaw is amazing for having gloves on. A little pressure on the thumb stud and the assist opens it right up quick! Love it!