A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
nrdone
Rookie Member

Re: Duty Knives

Postby nrdone » Thu May 14, 2009 11:36 pm

VanB wrote:Yes, because your reason for carrying it is to use it as a weapon, regardless of it's size.

The Criminal Code doesn't specify a blade length at which a knife becomes a prohibited weapon, and this is intentionally left to be subjective. The Criminal Code doesn't have one set of rules for urban areas and one for rural. What may be a reasonable sized knife for practical and legitimate purposes in the middle of nowhere is not necessarily useful in an urban environment. Basically the determination is left up to the officer on the scene to determine the purpose for which the item is being carried. If you are carrying it with the intention that it be used on another person, either for offensive of defensive purposes, it's a weapon. So if you're carrying a 6' blade in downtown toronto and telling people it's for opening letters and cutting twine, I'd say you're likely going to have your knife seized. I suppose you could get a lawyer and make application to have it returned, however I highly doubt that you're going to have any success, or that if you are it's going to be worth your legal fees. You'd likely be lucky to cut your losses and hope you aren't charged beyond just having it seized.

As for the brass knuckles, that's pretty much the dumbest thing I can think of someone carrying on them, and is just begging for a charge of carrying a weapon.

In short, if you feel the need to carry a weapon for personal protection, I'd say it was in your interest to find a new place to live rather than carry "the impaler" around your neighborhood.

okay thanks a lot for the clarification. its not that i dont feel safe in my neighborhood, but i know a lot of crazy people that are out at night.
when im walking back home at 2ish am, it just helps me feel safer carrying those. i could just sell the brass knuckles to some people because i know a lot that want some.. but that would just be foolish. i am best to bring it into the police station.

but when bringing them to the police station, would they question me?
what if i said they were mine, and i felt that it was just stupid to carry, so i decided to get rid of them in a safe manner.. would they charge me?

As for the knife. is a 4" blade reasonable do you think?

and as a last thought... i know you can get "brass" knuckles, but made out of plastic. i figure it would do much less damage, but probably just as illegal correct?

nrdone
Rookie Member

Postby nrdone » Fri May 15, 2009 12:13 am

VanB wrote:
nrdone wrote:
okay thanks a lot for the clarification. its not that i dont feel safe in my neighborhood, but i know a lot of crazy people that are out at night.
when im walking back home at 2ish am, it just helps me feel safer carrying those. i could just sell the brass knuckles to some people because i know a lot that want some.. but that would just be foolish. i am best to bring it into the police station.

what if i said they were mine, and i felt that it was just stupid to carry, so i decided to get rid of them in a safe manner.. would they charge me?

and as a last thought... i know you can get "brass" knuckles, but made out of plastic. i figure it would do much less damage, but probably just as illegal correct?

If you don't feel safe at 2am, don't go out at that hour. If you have to then take a cab or bring a friend, a weapon doesn't make you safer, it just makes you feel safer, which is dangerous.

The size of the blade isn't the issue, as I stated before, the issue is what you can reasonably explain you are carrying it for. You've already stated you're going to be carrying it for defensive purposes, which to me indicates you don't need one for any legal purposes.

Brass Knuckles, regardless of what they are made of are illegal not because of what they are made out of but because of what they are used for. I don't think you understand the explanation I gave above, which applies to virtually anything you could be carrying if you are carrying for use as a weapon.

yes i understand much clearer now, thank you. so my choice of carrying these brass knuckles is just rediculously stupid, and if i get caught, i could be in pretty big trouble. i think i will just bring them into the police station tomorrow. it should be the reasonable thing to do.
Will i get in any type of trouble if i bring them in and tell them that they were mine, but i felt stupid for having them and felt like i should dispose of them in a proper way?

Glockman

Postby Glockman » Fri May 15, 2009 2:33 am

nrdone wrote:
VanB wrote:
nrdone wrote:

If you don't feel safe at 2am, don't go out at that hour. If you have to then take a cab or bring a friend, a weapon doesn't make you safer, it just makes you feel safer, which is dangerous.

The size of the blade isn't the issue, as I stated before, the issue is what you can reasonably explain you are carrying it for. You've already stated you're going to be carrying it for defensive purposes, which to me indicates you don't need one for any legal purposes.

Brass Knuckles, regardless of what they are made of are illegal not because of what they are made out of but because of what they are used for. I don't think you understand the explanation I gave above, which applies to virtually anything you could be carrying if you are carrying for use as a weapon.

yes i understand much clearer now, thank you. so my choice of carrying these brass knuckles is just rediculously stupid, and if i get caught, i could be in pretty big trouble. i think i will just bring them into the police station tomorrow. it should be the reasonable thing to do.
Will i get in any type of trouble if i bring them in and tell them that they were mine, but i felt stupid for having them and felt like i should dispose of them in a proper way?

I think your in the wrong forum. Just turn the knuckle dusters in and say you found it, and you won't get in any trouble. but get RID OF IT!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri May 15, 2009 8:57 am

Quoted from Warriors and Wonders FAQ section of their site:

Q - What are the legalities of owning swords or knives in Canada?
A - It is perfectly legal to own knives and swords in Canada. So long as your purpose for purchasing and or carrying a knife is to use it as a tool. Remember, Canadian law does not allow you to carry a knife for the purpose of "self defense". Carrying a knife for the purpose of "self defense" would identify your knife as a weapon, which is not permited. Some places that you can not carry a knife on you to are airports, court rooms and some other government buildings, as well as businesses that serve alcohol and such.

Q - What is the maximum blades size one is allowed to carry in Canada?
A - There is no blade size restriction for carry in Canadian law. However, the larger the size of the blade, the more difficult it would be to identify it as a tool for everyday use. For example; if you are hunting, then a large fixed blade knife on your side is perfectly acceptable. Carrying the same large fixed blade knife on your side in downtown Vancovuer would obviously be a different matter.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Fri May 15, 2009 12:27 pm

I always found it odd that you are legally allowed to defend yourself but the Feds give you no means to actually do so.
I'd like to see some kind of Concealed Weapon permit for trained civilians. I know they exist now but in reality very few people get them.

nrdone
Rookie Member

Postby nrdone » Fri May 15, 2009 4:18 pm

NatWood wrote:I always found it odd that you are legally allowed to defend yourself but the Feds give you no means to actually do so.
I'd like to see some kind of Concealed Weapon permit for trained civilians. I know they exist now but in reality very few people get them.

i know you can get a permit in the states, but i dont think you can do so in canada.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Fri May 15, 2009 10:23 pm

nrdone wrote:
NatWood wrote:I always found it odd that you are legally allowed to defend yourself but the Feds give you no means to actually do so.

i know you can get a permit in the states, but i dont think you can do so in canada.

There is provision in the firearms act for concealed carry by a private citizen if the CFO can be convinced there is a reasonable need. I know of one case in Toronto where it was approved (the person was a good friend of certain politicains). He even used the firearm to protect himself during a robbery and no charges were laid.

For mere mortals without political connections, you have a much better chance of winning the 6-49 tomorrow than getting a concealed cary permit. And good luck avoiding charges if you shoot someone, assuming you actually get one.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Mike Gatti

Postby Mike Gatti » Sat May 16, 2009 1:19 am

I remember Maj-Gen Lewis McKenzie, commander of the Canadian Forces in Bosnia during the 90s, got one when he came back to Canada after death threats were made against him.
Don't get bitter, get BETTER

Whatever it is, it's not the end of the world. And if it IS the end of the world, there's no use complaining or feeling sorry for yourself, because everyone else is equally F***ED

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 pm

nrdone wrote:sorry, i am not a police officer, but i am interested in getting a knife for everyday use and self defense knife.
i live in ontario, so im not too sure about the laws. what happens if i get caught with a knife such as the spyderco military, or police?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImYpuM0B1Ew

what is the law with the length? what happens if i get caught with this by the police?
i know this may sound stupid, but i currently have brass knuckles as self defence...
brass knuckles may sound harsh, but atleast you can control your damage, unlike a knife, if you stab, you cause alot more damage.
ive seen pictures of riot control officers using some brass knuckles also.
what would happen if i got caught with thoes on me?

i think the punishment would probably be worst then a knife no? just because of the nature of the wepon?
if so, i would like to get rid of them and just get a knife.

thanks alot!

Isn't your dad a Mountie? If so, why the heck havn't you asked him about the legalities of what you are carrying down the road?
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

nrdone
Rookie Member

Postby nrdone » Sat May 16, 2009 7:17 pm

RemingtonSteel wrote:
nrdone wrote:sorry, i am not a police officer, but i am interested in getting a knife for everyday use and self defense knife.
i live in ontario, so im not too sure about the laws. what happens if i get caught with a knife such as the spyderco military, or police?

what is the law with the length? what happens if i get caught with this by the police?
i know this may sound stupid, but i currently have brass knuckles as self defence...
brass knuckles may sound harsh, but atleast you can control your damage, unlike a knife, if you stab, you cause alot more damage.

i think the punishment would probably be worst then a knife no? just because of the nature of the wepon?

thanks alot!

Isn't your dad a Mountie? If so, why the heck havn't you asked him about the legalities of what you are carrying down the road?

how do you know that my dad is a mountie? i dont want to ask him because i dont want him to think im getting involved in some sort of gang or something. i got rid of the knuckles, as you guys told me to.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat May 16, 2009 7:30 pm

We are spying on you.......your computer is bugged and there's a Blueline satellite zeroed in on you.

Well that and you said in one of your posts that he was :crazy:

You don't talk to him much and methinks you should change that. You sound extremely young and immature.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sat May 16, 2009 9:20 pm

nrdone wrote:
RemingtonSteel wrote:

thanks alot!

how do you know that my dad is a mountie? i dont want to ask him because i dont want him to think im getting involved in some sort of gang or something. i got rid of the knuckles, as you guys told me to.

Okay, this is a great piece of advice for you. If you wouldn't want to ask your dad because he might think your involved in a gang, chances are you probably shouldnt be involved in whatever it is your doing/carrying.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat May 16, 2009 9:25 pm

Jim Street wrote:We are spying on you.......your computer is bugged and there's a Blueline satellite zeroed in on you.

Well that and you said in one of your posts that he was :crazy:

This is like when you go into a store and know the first name of the person who is serving you... when they ask "do I know you?" or "how did you know my name?"... you point out the name tag they are wearing on their shirt... true story...
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)