LED Flashlights

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Banned
Rookie Member

LED Flashlights

Postby Banned » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:35 am

I am sure this issue has probably been done to death but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for (not saying it wasn't there though).

I am interested in switching to an LED flashlight but am wondering if they are any good long range. I have been using my Stinger since 1993 and am not dissapointed (obvious I guess as I've kept it for 15 years). I like the white light that the LEDs produce but spend a lot of my time in fields etc. and am wondering if the new led lights are any good at long distances or if I need to stick with Xenon flashlights for that??

Your input would be very helpful.
I didn't say it would be easy - I said it would be worth it: Art Williams

Pete Broccolo

Re: LED Flashlights

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Banned wrote:I am sure this issue has probably been done to death but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for (not saying it wasn't there though).

I am interested in switching to an LED flashlight but am wondering if they are any good long range. I have been using my Stinger since 1993 and am not dissapointed (obvious I guess as I've kept it for 15 years). I like the white light that the LEDs produce but spend a lot of my time in fields etc. and am wondering if the new led lights are any good at long distances or if I need to stick with Xenon flashlights for that??

Your input would be very helpful.

If you buy the HP up-grade for your Stinger, you COULD buy a TerraLux TLE-HP3 emitter for Streamlight HP or Ultrastinger.

My Coporal is very happy with his Pelican 7060.

My Mag 2 D with TerraLux TLE-300M for Maglite 4 to 6 D-sized lights, running on 2 x 18650 cells, performed extremely well this weekend, but DOES get warm.

I have read good things about the Fenix TK10 and TK11, but have yet to handle one.

Here are some other suggestions:
LumaPower MRV Digitial Tactical Special Edition;
LumaPower DX1;
LumaPower MVP;
Olight T20M (220 lumens);
Night-Ops Gladius (80 lumens);
Insight Technologies Typhoon (re-branded N-O Gladius);
Romisen R-G4 (150 lumens, 1 Cree emitter);
Romisen RC-S5 (500 lumens, 3 Cree emitters);
Romisen RC-T5 (670 lumens, 4 Cree emitters).

ALWAYS go with lithium-ion rechargeable cells, either CR123A / 16340, 18550 or 18650 size. At a minimum, use NiMH cells where recommended.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

AnotherBeginning
Seasoned Member

Postby AnotherBeginning » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:11 pm

I have the Fenix TK10, I have found it to be outstanding, when we are out and the coworkers use their stingers or streamlights there is a perceptible difference in the sheer amount of light coming out the end.

Bang
Rookie Member

Postby Bang » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:45 am

The current torch im useing is probably the best mini-mag style LED light i've ever used...and were did i get it Wal-mart for $10 bucks :D

It's not a stinger or even a maglite by any means but it does the job!!! lol!

OPPhopeful
Rookie Member

Postby OPPhopeful » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Based on some of the other reviews that I had read I recently purchased the Pelican 7060. While I don't use it in a LE capacity I think it might be one of the best flashlights that I have ever used; I would definitely recommend it. The only issue that I can think of is that if the battery dies mid-shift I don't know what you would do since the battery isn't a standard size.
Hope that helps.
Applied OPP: Oct 14, 2008
Interview: December 10, 2008
Psych Eval: January 16, 2009
Med/Uni/Fngrprnt: January 17, 2009
BGI: Started January 29, 2009
Home Visit: February 04, 2009
Offer of Hire: March 16, 2009

z24
Rookie Member

Postby z24 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Been using a surefire g2 LED and it's nice and light and bright. Kinda regret not getting the 6P LED though for the looks.

Banned
Rookie Member

Postby Banned » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks so much guys.

I am figuring out that the LED will probably do fine. I like the fact that the Pilican 7060 is made by Streamlight and therfore charges the same. I just don't like the size. Doing a lot of plain clothes surveillance stuff lately and even the Stinger is too big to hide.

I am leaning towards either the Surefire E2D LED Defender or the Fenix TK10. Both are small and have a belt clip which really helps for concealing it as I don't then need a pouch. Fenix quotes 225 Lumens and is half the cost of the Surefire with 120. Anyone know why?

Tacklebox
Veteran Member

Postby Tacklebox » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:52 pm

The Pelican 7060 is actually, surprisingly enough, made by Pelican, StreamLight has nothing to do with it. I also carry the 7060 for work, and after mine arrived a number of co-workers also ordered them. I recently took part in a night shoot utilizing a number of different flashlight techniques (Ayoob, Marine, Cirillo, Harries, and FBI) where the 7060 also garnered some interest. Due to the fact that it has both a mid-body switch and a tail-cap switch, it can be utilized for any of the aforementioned techniques with a certain degree of competency. The only complaint I have with it, is that it gives virtually no warning when the battery dies, a quick blink or two, and it goes from full power to complete dark.

Aside from that, it is a good bright light, built like a tank.

TB

z24
Rookie Member

Postby z24 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 am

The 7060 does look like a good flashlight, but it looks a tad too big for my liking. Doesn't look very compact for a duty belt setup. I'm not a fan of them hanging far past my waist.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 am

I now use the Fenix TK10 that I got a couple of weeks ago.

I have no complaints about the light, as it serves me very well at work. The only problem with it, is that I am up north, where the cost of CR123s can be in the area of about 20$ per battery. I buy batteries for it in bulk when I am in Ottawa or Montreal, and bring them up with me, hoping that I bought enough to las me until my next holidays.

I am also a little bit disappointed, as the TK11 came out a couple of days after I purchased my TK10. If I would've known, I would waited an bought the TK11 instead, as the battery life is extended.
POLICE OFFICER

Banned
Rookie Member

Postby Banned » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:57 pm

polarbear wrote:I now use the Fenix TK10 that I got a couple of weeks ago.

I have no complaints about the light, as it serves me very well at work. The only problem with it, is that I am up north, where the cost of CR123s can be in the area of about 20$ per battery. I buy batteries for it in bulk when I am in Ottawa or Montreal, and bring them up with me, hoping that I bought enough to las me until my next holidays.

I am also a little bit disappointed, as the TK11 came out a couple of days after I purchased my TK10. If I would've known, I would waited an bought the TK11 instead, as the battery life is extended.

Have you considered rechargable CR123a's or a rechargable 18650 battery? I finally switched and am VERY happy with the results of the rechargable 123's. I just ordered a rechargable 18650 and charger and am waiting for them to arrive. There is a noticable difference in the light output with the 3.7v over the 3v 123's.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:45 pm

Banned wrote:
polarbear wrote:I now use the Fenix TK10 that I got a couple of weeks ago.

Have you considered rechargable CR123a's or a rechargable 18650 battery? I finally switched and am VERY happy with the results of the rechargable 123's. I just ordered a rechargable 18650 and charger and am waiting for them to arrive. There is a noticable difference in the light output with the 3.7v over the 3v 123's.

I will definately look into that when I go back "down south" on my next holidays.
POLICE OFFICER

Safeman
Rookie Member

Postby Safeman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:54 am

You want to see a real nice flash light that is cheep. Check out these Coast LEd's I picked one up in Lowes in the states for $49 US
It takes 3 AAA batterys (detachment supplied of course) And it has an amazing bright light, alot better then my Strion rechargeable.
I carry both with me incase my Strion dies during the shift.
I just noticed the 4 AAA one and might look at getting that one.

It has a real white light which I like at night when your searching yards. It shines real nice under trees and into bushes.
Now the focusing is not that great, like it won't go from 20' Dia to a 3' Dia, but will go from about 10' to 3'
For the price its not bad.

I also like the free batterys

Safeman

http://www.coastportland.com/displayPro ... &prodnums=¿934¡933¡902¡932¡268¡264¡263¡260¡270¡276¡271¡272¡273¡274¡275¡936¡935¡937¡261¡262¿&mastCat=5
RCMP- Posted to Manitoba

Tacklebox
Veteran Member

Postby Tacklebox » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:04 am

Regarding the 7060 not being a belt light, to each their own. I wear mine on my belt each and every day, without complaint. With the provided holster, it rides in a very simialr fashion to a baton. I have my light right behind my baton, the base of the light is about flush with the base of the baton, and the baton actually sticks up higher than the light.

TB

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 am

Safeman wrote:You want to see a real nice flash light that is cheep. Check out these Coast LEd's I picked one up in Lowes in the states for $49 US
It takes 3 AAA batterys (detachment supplied of course) And it has an amazing bright light, alot better then my Strion rechargeable.
I carry both with me incase my Strion dies during the shift.
I just noticed the 4 AAA one and might look at getting that one.

It has a real white light which I like at night when your searching yards. It shines real nice under trees and into bushes.
Now the focusing is not that great, like it won't go from 20' Dia to a 3' Dia, but will go from about 10' to 3'
For the price its not bad.

I also like the free batterys

Safeman

http://www.coastportland.com/displayPro ... &prodnums=¿934¡933¡902¡932¡268¡264¡263¡260¡270¡276¡271¡272¡273¡274¡275¡936¡935¡937¡261¡262¿&mastCat=5

I also own a Coast LED Lenser, and I use this light as a back-up, in case I run out of cr123s in my village. It is a low priced light witha LONG battery life that uses inexpensive batteries. The one I have has an output of 60 Lumens, or the same as the low setting ont he Fenix TK10 or TK11.
POLICE OFFICER