LED Flashlights

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: LED Flashlights

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:Regarding Dave's comment - yes, I AM afraid of the dark!

Well Pete, I was chatting with Chuck Norris the other day, he tells me the dark is actually afraid of you! ;)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

cruzmisl
Rookie Member

Postby cruzmisl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:35 pm

My flashlight is a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop in. Its rated at 235 lumens and will run 1.5hrs on 2-123's then it drops out of regulation and will go direct drive with reduced output. Beam quality is excellent and has a good blend of spot/flood. It's a great performer. I also use a Blackhawk holster for quick access.

johnleger

Postby johnleger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:07 am

LED disapointements....

Recently took Surefire G3 LED "kit" off duty belt....
Went back to surefire ANX Commander (incand) at 110 lumens, :50min runtime rechargeable.

Why?

G3 output is rated at 80 Lumens, but once you do the research and Surefire does publish honest numbers...it drops to like 65 lumens after 5 minutes? then produces "tactical level" (which they define as 50 lumens min) for almost 6 hrs, with a gradual drop to 1 lumen between 6 hrs and 10 hrs total runtime....

Now if I was somwhere "wild" and needed a light to run forever due to lack of batteries, ten hr runtimes are a bonus...
However, I'm a cop and I've got batteries, veh, duty bag etc...

I decided that 110 real lumens is better for police work, than super duper LED at 60/50 lumens.
Near searches, IE veh stops, room searches the LED is good enough.
But for bush work, marine, longer ranges the trusty old incandes destroys the LEDs so far.

I'm running with a quick draw plastic holster, carry a spare battery in pocket. Back up is a Surefire gen 1, L1 Lumamax. I have a G2LED for K9 assists and a Streamlight twintask for Tr control, with wand.

I would not buy the G3 nor the G2 again, as the LED technology is changing so rapidly, with Surefire and others?
The L1, though only rated at 65/15 lumens (dual switch) is far brighter...due to TIR lense???

I just started looking at Fenix, but their web site leaves a lot unexplained.

I subscibe to professional= professional tools...
Next to your pen, which tool on your Bat-Belt is most often used? Flashlight.
Anyone bragging about their cheapo light is unlikely trusting their safety on it (I hope?)

Mike Gatti

Postby Mike Gatti » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:34 am

johnleger wrote:But for bush work, marine, longer ranges the trusty old incandes destroys the LEDs so far.

Those days are over, check out the Dereelight DBS lights with Cree MC-E emitters, and Tiablo ACE (if you can find one) for throw. In fact any cheaper light from MTE or UltraFire using an MC-E or SSC P7 emitter would probably do as well (although I've never had my hands on one, and have only seen beamshots posted by users on the net). If you're worried about them being Chinese and crapping out, the latter two are cheap enough that you could buy 3 or 4 for the price of the first 2. The irony is that if you get a cheapo LED light that works out of the box, and most of them do, it's more likely to work forever and put up with a beating--incandescents have bulbs that break from falls and burn out, while this is rare with LEDs. In fact the Fenix lights you were checking out are the "Glocks" of flashlights; there are videos of YouTube of someone trying to crush a Fenix T1 in a mechanical press (it finally took 20,500 lbs to squash it).

Of course, as a qualifier I should say that anyone can stack a dozen D-cells behind an incandescent bulb in a flashlight the length of a baseball bat, with a huge light head on the end, and put out a ton of light with great throw. I'm talking effectiveness vis a vis size and practicality when referring to the effectiveness of the above LED lights outdoors.

Also, in your head-to-head comparison in your example, you used a very weak LED light as a contender. The state of the art is far advanced over the LED light you used, and the current crop of Cree R2 LEDs in mini-MagLite-sized units have roughly 3x the light output of that one (some on AA batteries no less). They tend to last around 2 hours at the highest output too, not 5 minutes. Regulated circuits in them also keep them from dimming or flickering during that time, and they stay at full output until the battery's voltage drops too low to support it. The Fenix TK11, which a lot of people on this board rave about, has a confirmed 200m throw. And I've never tried to figure the throw on my faithful Fenix L2D Q5, but flashlight-reviews.com tested an earlier (less powerful) version and found it to have an 88m throw. Not bad for a light the size and width of a crayola marker, running on 2 AA batteries! And if you want to drop a bit more dough, the Cree MC-E or SSC P7 units I mentioned above can output up to a whopping 700 lumens (depending on the pill and battery type used) for 45 to 90 minutes (again depending on the design and power source).

Welcome to the new world of LED flashlights, my friend! I can't point you to the best merchants and deals on the public side, but PM me and I can help hook you up with a new professional tool!
Don't get bitter, get BETTER

Whatever it is, it's not the end of the world. And if it IS the end of the world, there's no use complaining or feeling sorry for yourself, because everyone else is equally F***ED

Herky
Rookie Member

Postby Herky » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:48 am

I suggest a Malkoff Drop in to replace your SF LED module, that way you can keep your G2/G3 and upgrade when newer LEDs come in. Also I'd suggest trying Malkoff's Warm version of drop ins as I find they pierce through tinted windows better and reveal just a bit more detail long distance. Although the warm versions have less lumens due to their layer of special phosphor to make it warmer tinted beam, I find the trade off still worth it versus a normal cooler tinted led.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:32 am

johnleger wrote:LED disapointements....
Recently took Surefire G3 LED "kit" off duty belt....
Went back to surefire ANX Commander (incand) at 110 lumens, :50min runtime rechargeable.
Why?
G3 output is rated at 80 Lumens, but once you do the research and Surefire does publish honest numbers...it drops to like 65 lumens after 5 minutes? then produces "tactical level" (which they define as 50 lumens min) for almost 6 hrs, with a gradual drop to 1 lumen between 6 hrs and 10 hrs total runtime....
Now if I was somwhere "wild" and needed a light to run forever due to lack of batteries, ten hr runtimes are a bonus...
However, I'm a cop and I've got batteries, veh, duty bag etc...
I decided that 110 real lumens is better for police work, than super duper LED at 60/50 lumens.
Near searches, IE veh stops, room searches the LED is good enough.
But for bush work, marine, longer ranges the trusty old incandes destroys the LEDs so far.
I'm running with a quick draw plastic holster, carry a spare battery in pocket. Back up is a Surefire gen 1, L1 Lumamax. I have a G2LED for K9 assists and a Streamlight twintask for Tr control, with wand.
I would not buy the G3 nor the G2 again, as the LED technology is changing so rapidly, with Surefire and others?
The L1, though only rated at 65/15 lumens (dual switch) is far brighter...due to TIR lense???
I just started looking at Fenix, but their web site leaves a lot unexplained.
I subscibe to professional= professional tools...
Next to your pen, which tool on your Bat-Belt is most often used? Flashlight.
Anyone bragging about their cheapo light is unlikely trusting their safety on it (I hope?)

Not a lot of us on here are talking about "cheap" lights, either in quality NOR price. Generally, we are talking about the BEST value-for-the-money, either incandescent OR LED.
Much like Mike Gatti has offered to you, I could also help you with some info on illumination tools, light sources, power sources and sellers, but do not wish to violate forum policies, so would prefer that you PM or E-mail me. Please include your real name and LE Agency contact info, as I prefer knowing that I am corresponding with a sister / brother LEO / PO, and will confirm my ID in return (that does not mean that I will confirm OR deny those vicious rumours of my being Dave Brown's older, wiser and better looking, yet lousier-shot-than, brother!)
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Pete, you said you wouldn't tell anyone!

All those years you made me ride the short school bus every day. (And we were home-schooled ...)

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:08 am

I'm a big fan of the E2D-Defender by streamlight, LED is 120 lumens, halogen is 60. it has the beveled edge so that it can be used as a striking tool as well, light, compact and durable, i have been very happy with mine.
:pistols: Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

ACS1719
Rookie Member

Postby ACS1719 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:55 pm

There are lots out there... and alot of really good choices these days. Personally I use the Streamlight Strion LED C4 right now and I love it. However I went through the following light to get to that light:

Maglite Mini Mag
Maglite 3D
Maglite 4D
Streamlight Scorpion
Streamlight Stinger XT
Surefire 6P
Streamlight Strion Original
Pelican M6 2320
Pelican M6 2390 3W
Streamlight Stinger DS LED
Fenix TK11
Streamlight Scorpion LED C4
Surefire 6P LED
Surefire E2D LED
Surefire E1B
Pelican 7060
Pelican 8060
Streamlight Polystinger LED C4
Then, Finally, the Streanlight Strion LED C4

I like flashlights was to much and spend way to much money on them... Call me crazy.
If an eye for an eye leave the whole world blind, why the **** are gun toting gangbangers still hitting things?!!

vanislemountie
Rookie Member

Postby vanislemountie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Go for the Surefire....the 6p is a sick light, well built, and super durable. I dropped a Dealextreme LED Module in mine a couple months ago for a whopping $10, and wow, I can't say enough about it. Outperforms a Gladius by far and makes most guys who have a Strion or Stinger, look like they are holding a minimag. The surefires are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

abc123
Rookie Member

Postby abc123 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:18 am

anyone care to comment on Olight M20 Warrior R2 vs Wolf-Eyes Fox IX vs Tiablo A10, I'm looking to get a decent flashlight and not spend a fortune, any input would be appreciated.

Mike Gatti

Postby Mike Gatti » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:08 pm

abc123 wrote:anyone care to comment on Olight M20 Warrior R2 vs Wolf-Eyes Fox IX vs Tiablo A10, I'm looking to get a decent flashlight and not spend a fortune, any input would be appreciated.

I can't speak to the others, but I have a Tiablo ACE-G which is about the same size and shape as the A10. It's not a belt flashlight for sure, given the size of the huge head. If you're looking for something to keep on your belt, you should consider one of the others, which are both high-quality lights. Actually, if you want a flashlight that gives you the best bang for your buck as far as taking up space on your belt, I suggest trading a few extra lumens for the EagleTac P10A2, or the Olight T25 Tactical. Both have quick-draw elastic holsters that don't require you to make that velcro ripping sound in the dark. As an added bonus, they run on rechargeable NiMH AA batteries, which will definitely save you a ton of cash over CR123As in the long run. Here's a fantastic comparison review of all the 2xAA LED lights (note the EagleTac P10A2 puts out the highest light output):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=214890

Personally, I carry a Fenix L2D LED light on the belt (the older version of the slightly more efficient LD20), which is more than enough for clearing rooms, vehicle searches, etc. For applications where I need more raw power, I keep a Tiablo ACE-G in the duty bag, and grab it when I'm going to check parks, fields, etc. in pitch black conditions. The two make an awesome team!
Don't get bitter, get BETTER

Whatever it is, it's not the end of the world. And if it IS the end of the world, there's no use complaining or feeling sorry for yourself, because everyone else is equally F***ED

MS

Postby MS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:00 am

Go to costco, get the the 2 pack of Aluminum bodied LED flashlights that are AA compatible. Bullet proof lights, 2 for $24, and bright for miles! You won't be disappointed.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:13 am

Has anyone fondled the new Olight M30? It's an MCE putting out 700lumens (probably closer to 500 out the front) Just wondering if it's too big for duty carry. I would use the 3 cell configuration.