CBSA Boots?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Re: CBSA Boots?

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:32 pm

So a couple of updates here:

- They've changed the boot policy. As previously stated side zippers are now authorized across the board. They have lowered the two year life cycle of boots to a more realistic one year life cycle. Unfortunately they have lowered the allowance from $250 to $225. I realize this means that every two years we technically get $450 instead of $250 however my 5.11 CSA boots came out to $248.51 (including taxes) this year - which means I'd be out of pocket $23.51/year if I continued to buy them. Although I guess that isn't so bad as I am 100% sure they'll last at least a year if not 18+ months so......that brings me to my next update:

- For those interested in the 5.11 ATAC 8" CSA boots - I reccomend them. They took about 4-5 shifts to really break in and become comfortable but now they are fantastic. I have avoided CSA boots for the last few years because I couldn't find an "agency approved" boot that worked well and was comfy. These 5.11 fit the bill for me. They fit my orthotic inserts, are wide enough, and are lighter than many other options.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Safety Guy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Punisher-One wrote:So a couple of updates here:

- They've changed the boot policy. As previously stated side zippers are now authorized across the board. They have lowered the two year life cycle of boots to a more realistic one year life cycle. Unfortunately they have lowered the allowance from $250 to $225. I realize this means that every two years we technically get $450 instead of $250 however my 5.11 CSA boots came out to $248.51 (including taxes) this year - which means I'd be out of pocket $23.51/year if I continued to buy them. Although I guess that isn't so bad as I am 100% sure they'll last at least a year if not 18+ months so......that brings me to my next update:

- For those interested in the 5.11 ATAC 8" CSA boots - I reccomend them. They took about 4-5 shifts to really break in and become comfortable but now they are fantastic. I have avoided CSA boots for the last few years because I couldn't find an "agency approved" boot that worked well and was comfy. These 5.11 fit the bill for me. They fit my orthotic inserts, are wide enough, and are lighter than many other options.

I hope yours hold out better than my last few pairs have.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.
Safety Guy
Sage Member

Postby TMLF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Remember that before they went to the 2 year policy, the annual amount was only $125.
$225/year is pretty good I figure.
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]
TMLF
Grand Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:39 am

TMLF wrote:Remember that before they went to the 2 year policy, the annual amount was only $125.
$225/year is pretty good I figure.

Before we went into the 2 year thing in my region the annual thing was to go to Work Authority and get a pair of boots off of the approved list. Most people got either Magnum or Original SWAT - both of which are over $200.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby deeps » Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 am

The 5.11 ATAC 8" CSA boots do not appear to be thermally insulated as far as I am aware, which is a CBSA boot requirement. Anyone who has these boots, can you confirm their winter usability and if they are acceptable, seems like a few of you peeps got them?

Also, any other boots that are popular these days? I cannot find the Bates GX-8 GTX version anywhere, just the non Goretex version. Apparently, the Canadian version of the Bates site is no more, according to their customer service. I found some on Amazon, but doesn't look like the have the CSA tags (could be an American version...)

Lowa and Hanwag make some pretty cool boots but again I do not see any CSA certified boots which would meet the CBSA requirements.

I may just end of with the Magnum Stealth or Original Swat boots, but was hoping for a Goretex boot.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
deeps
Rookie Member

Postby Punisher-One » Thu May 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Terra has a model that is made in Canada (called Argo) that has 200g insulation in it. Good for all weather. Not a "tactical" boot but it is made in Canada which is nice.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Previous

Return to Clothing and Equipment