Ontario Val Tags

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).
klink1983
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Val Tags

Postby klink1983 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:38 am

GoodWitness wrote:
Respond Wayne wrote:Good 'ol Val Tag Bingo!

Took this pic back in 2009... wonder what the plate looks like now?

Aside from the infraction, do these people not realize that it also just looks absolutely stupid?

Where's 2008?
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.....

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:49 am

klink1983 wrote:
GoodWitness wrote:
Respond Wayne wrote:Good 'ol Val Tag Bingo!

Took this pic back in 2009... wonder what the plate looks like now?

Aside from the infraction, do these people not realize that it also just looks absolutely stupid?

Where's 2008?

Under 2009. You can see the edge of it sticking out.
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Quick question, and here seems like as a good as a thread as any.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to double check before I go through some effort for nothing.

My wife's parents in AB gave her a car. She brought it back to Ontario. It does not have a front license plate mount. I assume that I need to get one so that I can affix the license plate? I have the front plate, it is just sitting in the truck for now.
K division.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Well, at least you have Ontario plates. I have neighbors that drove for the better part of a year with BC plates.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Shawshank wrote:Quick question, and here seems like as a good as a thread as any.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to double check before I go through some effort for nothing.

My wife's parents in AB gave her a car. She brought it back to Ontario. It does not have a front license plate mount. I assume that I need to get one so that I can affix the license plate? I have the front plate, it is just sitting in the truck for now.

Yuuup !

Nearly brought a tear to my eye to have to drill the front of an Anniversary Trans Am last year to install the front plate bracket, but there was no way on that model with any aftermarket adapter to even install a plate bracket from underneath to avoid it. Got gently informed on about the 2nd outing with the car to get the plate installed, had the bracket, but no hardware which was on order from GM. Bought another U.S. car this Spring, but no way I'm drilling this one, it will fit an underslung bracket. Wish Ontario would get rid of the front plate, but not likely to happen any time soon. Don't leave the plate loose on your dash, bad things can happen if it gets tossed at you or a passenger in an accident or sudden move.
Beer Me !

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:53 am

From the HTA:

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,
(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

Short form wording from my Notebook Companion:

"Drive Motor Vehicle - Fail To Display Two Plates", sec. 7(1)(b)(i)
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Thank you, I was hoping there would be an exemption for cars without factory mounts. I will find a mount for it. Any suggestions where to go? Canadian Tire or Princess auto maybe?

Also, I had no intentions of putting the front plate on the dash. Seems like a little safety issue.
Last edited by Shawshank on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K division.

hurley7
Rookie Member

Postby hurley7 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:06 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote:From the HTA:

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,
(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

Short form wording from my Notebook Companion:

"Drive Motor Vehicle - Fail To Display Two Plates", sec. 7(1)(b)(i)

The last time I gave this tag the genius went to court claiming that I made a mistake on the ticket because of this wording. He said "I didn't fail to display TWO plates I was only missing the front one".

Thank you. Guilty.

Molson
Rookie Member

Postby Molson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Shawshank wrote:Thank you, I was hoping there would be an exemption for cars without factory mounts. I will find a mount for it. Any suggestions where to go? Canadian Tire or Princess auto maybe?

You can get the mount from the dealership I would think?

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 pm

A little expensive from a Dealership... maybe try an Auto Wreckers! :thumbsup:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:A little expensive from a Dealership... maybe try an Auto Wreckers! :thumbsup:

That is the route I would take. Dealership was expensive & slow with parts for last one I ordered.
Beer Me !

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Shawshank wrote:...I had no intentions of putting the front plate on the dash. Seems like a little safety issue.
Huge safety issue... plus, that charge would read "Drive Motor Vehicle - Plate Improperly Displayed" (same HTA section) :D

Hurley7 wrote:The last time I gave this tag the genius went to court claiming that I made a mistake on the ticket because of this wording. He said "I didn't fail to display TWO plates I was only missing the front one".

Thank you. Guilty.

POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Don't worry, it was a little tongue in cheek. I firmly believe in having things secured, just in case.
K division.

protector49
Rookie Member

Postby protector49 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread but relevant.

Had an odd one recently. Woman driving her truck. Had a hit on ALPR. Pulled over and found expired insurance. Valid registration. BUT Valid Val Tag.

Driver adamant truck was in public garage that many people had access. Claims no knowledge of who stuck the valid Val Tag on plate. Or even being aware it was on there. We found the real Val Tag owner and he did not even know it was missing (the thing was stacked with more then a few previous years tags). He never reported lost or stolen. I still laid a possession property offence and no insurance. I'm just reaching out for any feedback on what to expect for possible defense of possession. Like I said it's an odd one and don't want to lose on something I missed.

Thanks

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Thu May 21, 2020 12:45 pm

protector49 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:31 pm
Sorry to revive an old thread but relevant.

Had an odd one recently. Woman driving her truck. Had a hit on ALPR. Pulled over and found expired insurance. Valid registration. BUT Valid Val Tag.

Driver adamant truck was in public garage that many people had access. Claims no knowledge of who stuck the valid Val Tag on plate. Or even being aware it was on there. We found the real Val Tag owner and he did not even know it was missing (the thing was stacked with more then a few previous years tags). He never reported lost or stolen. I still laid a possession property offence and no insurance. I'm just reaching out for any feedback on what to expect for possible defense of possession. Like I said it's an odd one and don't want to lose on something I missed.

Thanks
One more reason to ABOLISH LP Validation Tags, move to annual renewal based on date obtained / last renewed, and on-line accounts.

When will the rest of Canada move into the modern world to join SK (no DST / switching, no val tags, 6% PST, low COVID-19 issues, best CFL team, and NOT like ON at all!)
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)