Ontario Val Tags

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Ontario Val Tags

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:27 pm

I've had some dandys too. The ones done in marker are nice. I had a great insurance card once too. The expiry date scratched off with a fingernail and then retyped over top with a manual type writer.

CO

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:57 pm

Not VAL tags, but sort of related.
Notice the yellow annual inspection tags on my truck & trailer are all but bleached out white & barely ledgeable. MTO must have really cheaped out on the sticker material this year. These tags are less than 6 months old & the truck was garaged for half that time. Usually they are still bright yellow when I go to have the inspections redone, at this rate the tags will be nothing more than a white patch with holes in them in another month or so.
Beer Me !

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:31 am

CourtOfficer wrote:I've had some dandys too. The ones done in marker are nice. I had a great insurance card once too. The expiry date scratched off with a fingernail and then retyped over top with a manual type writer.

CO

The best one for me was the guy who had put fake plates on his car. I went to issue a ticket for what I thought was an expired valtag and noticed that the back plate was smudged. When I looked closer I realized it wasn't actually a license plate, it was a PICTURE of a license plate! The idiot had photographed a real plate, enlarged the picture to full size, printed it out, covered it in a plastic sheet and then put a tinted plate cover over top of it. The paper still managed to get moisture on it somehow and the ink started to run. I checked the front plate and it was the same thing, a phony. Peel Police came and seized the "plates" while I towed the car. I've never seen anything like that before and neither has anybody I work with. If some people put as much effort into obeying the law as they did trying to get around it, we might be out of work. God bless stupid people! :D
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

railcop
Grand Poobah

Postby railcop » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:I've had some dandys too. The ones done in marker are nice. I had a great insurance card once too. The expiry date scratched off with a fingernail and then retyped over top with a manual type writer.

CO

See, traffic can be entertaining.
railcop
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.

plorentz
Grand Poobah

Postby plorentz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:30 pm

railcop wrote:

CO

See, traffic can be entertaining.

Not to mention produce false evidence first offense is 15K. :)
Stupid people = Job Security

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am

I don't want to start a new thread about validation tags when there is one already here, so I apoligize for bringing this one back from the dead.

I wanted to see what Ontario LEOs think of people putting their val tags wherever they want on their plate, versus the top right corner of the plate as per the instructions. Every once in a while I see plates that have stickers on all 4 corners, and some even in the middle between the letters or on those licence plate covers that can be stolen with a screw driver.

Is this something that would warrant a fine?
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.....

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:59 am

klink1983 wrote:I don't want to start a new thread about validation tags when there is one already here, so I apoligize for bringing this one back from the dead.

I wanted to see what Ontario LEOs think of people putting their val tags wherever they want on their plate, versus the top right corner of the plate as per the instructions. Every once in a while I see plates that have stickers on all 4 corners, and some even in the middle between the letters or on those licence plate covers that can be stolen with a screw driver.

Is this something that would warrant a fine?

Yes

HTA, O Reg 628 9(1)(b)

Number Plates

9. (1) Evidence of validation issued for use on a number plate shall be affixed,

(a) where the permit is for a commercial motor vehicle, in the upper right corner of the number plate exposed on the front of the motor vehicle; and

(b) in all other cases, in the upper right corner of the number plate exposed on the rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (1).

Set Fine

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do- ... hedule-43/

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:06 am

48highlander wrote:Yes

HTA, O Reg 628 9(1)(b)

Number Plates

9. (1) Evidence of validation issued for use on a number plate shall be affixed,

(a) where the permit is for a commercial motor vehicle, in the upper right corner of the number plate exposed on the front of the motor vehicle; and

(b) in all other cases, in the upper right corner of the number plate exposed on the rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (1).

Set Fine

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do- ... hedule-43/

Msg passed to the Mother-in-Law. lol
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.....

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 pm

klink1983 wrote:Is this something that would warrant a fine?

yep. I've layed that ticket before, more than a few times. It's usually reserved for people who have attitude problems.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Good 'ol Val Tag Bingo!

Took this pic back in 2009... wonder what the plate looks like now?

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 pm

I know I've mentioned this before on a different thread but I love the morons that put their val tag on the licence plate cover. It just screams "steal me"... :roll:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:Good 'ol Val Tag Bingo!

I asked my question because I saw a plate quite like this on the weekend at home. The driver was getting into his car when I was walking to Canadian Tire and he had this clueless and oblivious look about him so I wasn't all that surprised.

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote:I know I've mentioned this before on a different thread but I love the morons that put their val tag on the licence plate cover. It just screams "steal me"... :roll:

I see that one every single day. :roll: One time I saw one with validation stickers going back over 15 years lining the edges of the plate like a picture frame. I don't know why it is so difficult for so many people to follow such simple instructions for affixing the validation sticker to the license plate. The sticker itself should be idiot proof because the upper right corner is rounded and the other three corners are right angles. That alone should suggest to anybody with a lick of common sense that it goes in the upper right corner of the license plate. Image
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 am

Parking159 wrote:
No 20 Year Medal wrote:I know I've mentioned this before on a different thread but I love the morons that put their val tag on the licence plate cover. It just screams "steal me"... :roll:

That alone should suggest to anybody with a lick of common sense that it goes in the upper right corner of the license plate.

You said it right here

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 am

Respond Wayne wrote:Good 'ol Val Tag Bingo!

Aside from the infraction, do these people not realize that it also just looks absolutely stupid?