Ontario Val Tags

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).
Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Re: Ontario Val Tags

Postby Stinger » Tue May 05, 2009 11:10 am

I've caught someone doing that.

Run the plate it comes back expired, but has a new val tag. Check the number on the val tag and compare it to the number on the sticker that you attach to the back of the registration every time you renew your plates. I've laid a theft charge with that, and won.

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Tue May 05, 2009 8:25 pm

I wouldn't say that it's super common but not uncommon to see. Often I see it with their own stickers from one plate to another but have found stolen stickers on plates before and pinched for the possession of stolen prop. I really like it when they use clear silicone to 'glue' it on.

If you just look at the plate and don't run it, it looks good but as soon as you run it, it shows up expired.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:59 pm

This is probably more common with the new "T" temporary valtags that replaced the 10 day trip permits last summer. We used to find a lot of vehicles with expired trip permits or trip permits from other vehicles displayed on the front window. They would be tagged/towed for being unlicenced. With the new "T" valtags we can't even do an MTO search to check if they expired because they only track when the plate was last valid, not the temporary sticker.
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Tue May 05, 2009 9:16 pm

When we run a plate with a "T" it tells us when the "T" expires.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:29 pm

HwyBear wrote:When we run a plate with a "T" it tells us when the "T" expires.

Really? When they first started appearing we tried to check them with the MTO and all we could get was when the plate's last valtag expired, not the temp ones. I'll have to get the bosses to do a follow up to find out what happened. Thanks for the heads up.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Tue May 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Stinger wrote:I've caught someone doing that.

Run the plate it comes back expired, but has a new val tag. Check the number on the val tag and compare it to the number on the sticker that you attach to the back of the registration every time you renew your plates. I've laid a theft charge with that, and won.

Good catch Stinger. :thumbsup: This was happening at our local Mall a few years back. At least scrapping the stickers back down to the plate will make it difficult enough for the dirt bags so that they just move along. However, those people that put the stickers on the outside of the LP cover instead of the plate, kind of set themselves up for it. :P
Beer Me !

plorentz
Grand Poobah

Postby plorentz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 am

I've personally come across this myself several time. From my experiances people punch in the wrong plate into the automated tellers in the shopping malls and the val tag gets issued but to the wrong plate,.

There is a 1800 # for the MTO that is ava to Police to check this. They can query the valtag serial# and tell you what it should be attached to.

On what to charge with can do the exp val tag and no validated permit.. If its a dirt bag, and the val tag has been expired a while I lay both, but never had any issues. Some people say its a duplicite charge but its not. Just because the val tag for the plate and the permit are on the same paper its still 2diff offences.

If he's a real dirt bag u can always yank the plates and charge them with use validation not furnished for vehicle and the burden wud be on him to prove y those are on it and its a mistake. And its messes up his day car gets towed loses plates. But that takes a special dirt bag for that.

My 2 cents
Stupid people = Job Security

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:41 am

Over here in Qc, we have it worse off then you guys. There are no val tags, so we have to run the plate to see if it's expired or not.

Because of this, I heard from an instructor at the provincial colege (ENPQ) that the SQ were trying out the new automated licence plate readers in the Montreal area, and they had to turn it off, since it kept alerting them of expired plates non-stop.
POLICE OFFICER

plorentz
Grand Poobah

Postby plorentz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:02 pm

polarbear wrote: they had to turn it off, since it kept alerting them of expired plates non-stop.

haha wasnt that the point.. from what i remember i think VPD uses some sort of automated plate scanners..

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm

plorentz wrote:
polarbear wrote: they had to turn it off, since it kept alerting them of expired plates non-stop.

haha wasnt that the point.. from what i remember i think VPD uses some sort of automated plate scanners..

That was the point of the automated plate readers, but there apparently was WAYYYY too many hits. The CPU just kept going nuts. It would help a lot though and once the system would be in place, there would be a lot less expird tags on the road.

However, IMO, the SQ should start by getting RMS programs and getting their officers to write reports and crown briefs by computer instead of by hand before they begin to dabble in the whole plate recognition software and the other new technology that is coming out these days. Every time an SQ officer shows up at my police station for whatever reason, they are always commenting on how they would like to have and RMS like we do to do their paperwork.
POLICE OFFICER

greasespot
Sage Member

Postby greasespot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:21 am

Even better I have had two where the driver took a blue pen and filled the 6 in to make it a 2008 sticker....Guy went to court and had book thrown at him...max fine on all counts.....

GS
**** Police Constable ****

plorentz
Grand Poobah

Postby plorentz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:17 pm

greasespot wrote:Even better I have had two where the driver took a blue pen and filled the 6 in to make it a 2008 sticker....Guy went to court and had book thrown at him...max fine on all counts.....

GS

Maybe he had thought that ud never know and its not like the change the colour configuration year to year.

Isn't there authority to yank the plates with that too?

I know its nsf. But can't recall if u can pull plates

greasespot
Sage Member

Postby greasespot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 am

yup...alter valtag....Plus the usual no insurance...suspended lisc. miss use of plates.....a whole slew of charges.....

Normally they do not only commit one...

GS
**** Police Constable ****

Tank
Rookie Member

Postby Tank » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:14 am

How did he plan on fighting that??

greasespot wrote:Even better I have had two where the driver took a blue pen and filled the 6 in to make it a 2008 sticker....Guy went to court and had book thrown at him...max fine on all counts.....

GS

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:31 pm

GS

Last week I pulled a phony valtag off a plate that looked like it was done on a computer. It was taped over the real valtag that expired a year and a half ago. It was the wrong colour, had the wrong font and the year was on the wrong side. It even had a fake serial number on it. The plates were also unattached so Peel Police dropped by to seize them too. When the PC saw the fake valtag she started laughing at how bad it looked. It was like the idiot didn't even try to make it look like a real one. I just wish the RO could have been there so we could have heard him try to talk his way out of it. :lol: