Traffic Tickets

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

How many traffic tickets have you received?

Total votes: 0

katerina68

Postby katerina68 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:13 pm

TheWidowsSon wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:My dad used to be a druck driver
I'm sure you're typo was the "d" as in truck and not the "c" as in drunk. :D

:jump:

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:27 am

SD_SC1 wrote:It has always been my understanding that when you come to a stop sign, your front bumper should be stopped slightly before the stop sign and that a complete stop means you stop for three real seconds before proceeding if there's no traffic.

It makes sense to me and I've never had any issues with it.
What I really hate is when I roll up to an intersection, there is another vehicle there before me and it's stopped... I arrive at the intersection and make my stop, and the other vehicle just sits there... Many times I have just proceeded through before the other vehicle...

Does this make me a bad person? :ponder:

And NO, I don't have any lights flashing at the time! :roll:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

NinjaNikki
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby NinjaNikki » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 am

I wish more people would realize that they have to stop. I always count out my 3 seconds before proceeding and I don't know how many times I hear the "sreech" as the car behind me had no intentions of stopping.

Bookm

Postby Bookm » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:25 am

NinjaNikki wrote: I always count out my 3 seconds before proceeding...
This is a prime example of where the Act lacks enough detail. 3 seconds is just a Driver Ed number. It has no basis in law. Perhaps some folks prefer to wait 5 seconds... or 20! The act doesn't necessarily prohibit this. It says the driver "may" proceed, not "must" proceed. If 20 seconds is considered illegal, then 3 seconds should be, too. Sitting there counting "mississipi's" is just going to aggrevate the line of cars behind you, and serves no real purpose.

Wow, I had no intention of thoroughly highjacking this thread. I'll lay low for a while ;)

Book
Forget the House!... Let's see the Shop!!

Starsky
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Starsky » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:27 am

Once your wheels have stopped turning, then you can move your vehicle again. To know that the wheels have stopped, the rule of thumb for the driver was always three seconds.
"A recent police study found that you're much more likely to get shot by a fat cop if you run.
-- Dennis Miller "

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:39 pm

NinjaNikki wrote:I wish more people would realize that they have to stop. I always count out my 3 seconds before proceeding and I don't know how many times I hear the "sreech" as the car behind me had no intentions of stopping.
I was heading home and stopped for the RED light at Jetliner & Silver Dart, buddy behind me taps the back of my car with his... I had my old Crown Victoria at the time, so he only hit the trailer hitch... He gets out to apologize, I asked him if he noticed the RED light (no, not the ones in my back window) :smirk: ... And he tells me that no one ever comes to a complete stop at that intersection... Crazy Airport workers, sniffing too much jet fuel fumes. :roll:
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Postby SD_SC1 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Bookm wrote:
NinjaNikki wrote: I always count out my 3 seconds before proceeding...
This is a prime example of where the Act lacks enough detail. 3 seconds is just a Driver Ed number. It has no basis in law. Perhaps some folks prefer to wait 5 seconds... or 20! The act doesn't necessarily prohibit this. It says the driver "may" proceed, not "must" proceed. If 20 seconds is considered illegal, then 3 seconds should be, too. Sitting there counting "mississipi's" is just going to aggrevate the line of cars behind you, and serves no real purpose.

Wow, I had no intention of thoroughly highjacking this thread. I'll lay low for a while ;)

Book
Yes, but do that on a road test and you'll get points for failure to accept the right of way. People who stop for unreasonable amounts of time confuse traffic flow.
Sed libera nos a malo.

NinjaNikki
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby NinjaNikki » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 am

The whole point of the "3 seconds" is to ensure one comes to a complete stop and to ensure the intersection is clear before proceeding. I don't know how many times I've done this to have some kid dart out infront of me or some yahoo blow his stop sign. Too many people like to do the rolling stop the problem with that is if everyone is doing a rolling eventually someone will get hit/hurt/killed etc.

exkalibur

Postby exkalibur » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:16 pm

It's probably not a bad idea. What's 3 seconds in the big picture? You'll be glad you spent the extra time when some nutjob figures he isn't going to stop at the 4-way stop because "everyone else is going to stop".

And yes, you'll loose points on your road test if you stop for 3 seconds. Remember, they are testing you on how you can follow the rules, not how defensive you can be. I lost points by speeding up and getting out of a lane on the QEW because some jackass was riding my a$$, I got told I went above the speed limit - when I explained why, the examiner just told me "he was breaking the law, not you"...right, tell that one to my parents when he hits me and I go out in a flame ball.

SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Postby SD_SC1 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:18 pm

exkalibur wrote:It's probably not a bad idea. What's 3 seconds in the big picture? You'll be glad you spent the extra time when some nutjob figures he isn't going to stop at the 4-way stop because "everyone else is going to stop".

And yes, you'll loose points on your road test if you stop for 3 seconds. Remember, they are testing you on how you can follow the rules, not how defensive you can be. I lost points by speeding up and getting out of a lane on the QEW because some jackass was riding my a$$, I got told I went above the speed limit - when I explained why, the examiner just told me "he was breaking the law, not you"...right, tell that one to my parents when he hits me and I go out in a flame ball.
You won't lose points for waiting three seconds. It's when you wait an unreasonable amount of time.

Here if you hit a jaywalker you fail your road test. If you stop or slow down for him, you fail too for confusing traffic by stopping or slowing down when unnecessary.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Fry

Postby Fry » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:37 pm

I had a perfectly clean driving record since I was 18... so a little over 4 years, until tonight!

I got a ticket for failure to come to a complete stopsign and passing over a median. Granted I coudln't see the median because of salt/sand on the road, I'm real familiar with the road but missed the broken line by about 20 feet. I'm not contesting the tickets, but I'm guessing this is going to kill my chances with recruiting. Nevertheless I'm going to call them tomorrow and let them know. I'm sure they'll find it anyway but it doesn't hurt to be honest about it.

I know of a few members with traffic tickets during recruiting but so close to the end right now... this just shows that I'm not even capable of stopping at a stop sign... this guy definately shouldn't police.
My grandfather, a ww2 vet, told me some very good advice not too long ago. He told me "Too much of any one thing isn't good for you." How true.

"Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it."

Fry

Postby Fry » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 pm

dbl post
My grandfather, a ww2 vet, told me some very good advice not too long ago. He told me "Too much of any one thing isn't good for you." How true.

"Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it."

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:51 pm

SD_SC1 is that you hijacking someone's account? :ponder:
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

Stinger
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Stinger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:21 pm

Fry wrote:I had a perfectly clean driving record since I was 18... so a little over 4 years, until tonight!

I got a ticket for failure to come to a complete stopsign and passing over a median. Granted I coudln't see the median because of salt/sand on the road, I'm real familiar with the road but missed the broken line by about 20 feet. I'm not contesting the tickets, but I'm guessing this is going to kill my chances with recruiting. Nevertheless I'm going to call them tomorrow and let them know. I'm sure they'll find it anyway but it doesn't hurt to be honest about it.

I know of a few members with traffic tickets during recruiting but so close to the end right now... this just shows that I'm not even capable of stopping at a stop sign... this guy definately shouldn't police.

Don't worry. When I was in the BGI stage, I got into a rear end collision. It was my fault. We settled out of it all. The damage was under 1000. So we didn;t call police, and I paid for a new bumper.

I called OPP HR and told them. They told me, it was okay and they appreciated that I called them and told them.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:29 am

Fry wrote:I had a perfectly clean driving record since I was 18... so a little over 4 years, until tonight!

I don't think this will spell the end and they'll likely appreciate you being honest about it without being asked.

CO