Expired Tags but parked

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

DantebeaR
Rookie Member

Expired Tags but parked

Postby DantebeaR » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am

I'm in Ontario and I was wondering if there was anything that could be done for a vehicle that has been placed in a long-term parking lot, that has tags from 2016 and the RO has an expired license? I can't ticket under 7(1)(a) of the HTA as the vehicle isn't being driven. I'm at a small detachment here and my supervisors don't really have the answers for me so I figured I'd look around and ask here for some advice.

DantebeaR
Rookie Member

Re: Expired Tags but parked

Postby DantebeaR » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:46 am

I'd also like to add that the vehicle has been moved to different spots within the long term parking which means someone is in fact driving it. We don't have the manpower to sit and watch the vehicle.

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:06 pm

So a vehicle with an expired tag was moved on private property from one space to another?

I had a vehicle with an expired tag that moved around a few times over several years. Driven on private property and towed on roadways. Finally back on the road just recently and a sweet ride now.

Keep an eye out for this vehicle while you're out on the road finding something else to do.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

JeanFrancois
Seasoned Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:20 pm

DantebeaR wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am
I'm in Ontario and I was wondering if there was anything that could be done for a vehicle that has been placed in a long-term parking lot, that has tags from 2016 and the RO has an expired license? I can't ticket under 7(1)(a) of the HTA as the vehicle isn't being driven. I'm at a small detachment here and my supervisors don't really have the answers for me so I figured I'd look around and ask here for some advice.
Is it lawfully parked? What do you mean by long-term lot? Like Impark or a private parking lot; or a lot in the downtown core where they pay $10 per day or $100 per month?

I am assuming you've received a complaint from the private property owner?; or are you just investigating? and if you have (assuming it's not paying for parking or the owner doesn't want the vehicle and you received a complaint) Issue a PON (could be parking, could be trepassing) and then have the vehicle towed.

Maybe a Municipal ordinance in relation to parking?; Maybe look for something in R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 949: PARKING INFRACTIONS under Provincial Offences Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.33

It depends, how interested are you in this vehicle? There is always a way. Have you tried contacting R/O and getting a self-admission that they are driving on public roadways? Plate seizure, No Insurance, Vehicle Seizure. Depends how it come into your lap and how involved you want to be in it

I kinda agree with the other poster...seems like a lot of time spent right now for little result.
CBSA:
App: August 2018
O.T.E.E: Sept 2018
Interview: Jan 21 2019
PAL: Jul 2019
MMPI-2 Testing: Sept 6 2019
Psychologist Appointment: Sept 16 2019

My views and opinions are my own.

DantebeaR
Rookie Member

Postby DantebeaR » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:48 am

JeanFrancois wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:20 pm
DantebeaR wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am
Is it lawfully parked? What do you mean by long-term lot? Like Impark or a private parking lot; or a lot in the downtown core where they pay $10 per day or $100 per month?

I am assuming you've received a complaint from the private property owner?; or are you just investigating? and if you have (assuming it's not paying for parking or the owner doesn't want the vehicle and you received a complaint) Issue a PON (could be parking, could be trepassing) and then have the vehicle towed.

Maybe a Municipal ordinance in relation to parking?; Maybe look for something in R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 949: PARKING INFRACTIONS under Provincial Offences Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.33

It depends, how interested are you in this vehicle? There is always a way. Have you tried contacting R/O and getting a self-admission that they are driving on public roadways? Plate seizure, No Insurance, Vehicle Seizure. Depends how it come into your lap and how involved you want to be in it

I kinda agree with the other poster...seems like a lot of time spent right now for little result.

It is lawfully parked. It's an unofficial long-term parking lot near our airport. It's basically just a square of paved land that people have been using for long-term parking. There is no signage for anything and the town has basically just deemed it long-term parking.

We have had two complaints for it, being parked there by two different town officials however because the car is legally allowed to park there as there is nothing saying they cannot, there isn't much I feel like I can do.

Honestly I wouldn't really care as much if it wasn't the fact that the car has been moved to different spots within the parking lot and the car has expired tags from 2 years ago and the RO has an expired licence. Its more of a **** you to the law enforcement as the RO obviously knows hes in the wrong but I have not been able to catch him driving.

I'm more interested as a new LEO in a small town that isn't busy at all so really researching this is how I am passing my time ontop of researching other random infractions and situations that comes to my mind.

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Sounds like something the property owner could address, if they wanted to. You say that town officials have complained, but does the town own the lot? If so it would seem to be their problem to deal with. If not and the property owner has no issue with it I don't see any recourse nor do I see a problem with the situation.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:00 pm

THIS sounds like a topic for an active-duty LEO to ask of other active-duty LEO...in the LE Only discussion area.

Thus...no more discussion here.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)