Ticketing RO

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Cujie
Veteran Member

Ticketing RO

Postby Cujie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 am

I'm not sure of the way this works in Ontario. If someone passes a school bus while it's lights are flashing and children are getting off the bus, and only a plate was obtained and reported to police afterwards, can the registered owner be ticketed, as they can't ID the driver?
Men are like fine wine . . . They start out as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

Pete Broccolo

Re: Ticketing RO

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 am

Cujie wrote:I'm not sure of the way this works in Ontario. If someone passes a school bus while it's lights are flashing and children are getting off the bus, and only a plate was obtained and reported to police afterwards, can the registered owner be ticketed, as they can't ID the driver?
Can be done in SK, as I did lots of them that way.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Cujie wrote:I'm not sure of the way this works in Ontario. If someone passes a school bus while it's lights are flashing and children are getting off the bus, and only a plate was obtained and reported to police afterwards, can the registered owner be ticketed, as they can't ID the driver?
Can be done in SK, as I did lots of them that way.
AB allows for that too.

smitty
Seasoned Member

Postby smitty » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Yes in Ontario the registered owner can be charged and convicted for failing to stop for a school bus. No different than a red light camera or parking ticket really.

mikemike
Rookie Member

Postby mikemike » Wed May 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Same goes for BC apparently. I had a fail to stop for police file recently and the car was later abandoned by the lone occupant (who was male) + the R/O was female. Traffic NCO told me to write the female R/O a fail to stop VT even though she was not in the vehicle at the time of the incident. I was a bit surprised, but seems like it's doable.

Hattie
Seasoned Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 pm

mikemike wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:02 pm
Same goes for BC apparently. I had a fail to stop for police file recently and the car was later abandoned by the lone occupant (who was male) + the R/O was female. Traffic NCO told me to write the female R/O a fail to stop VT even though she was not in the vehicle at the time of the incident. I was a bit surprised, but seems like it's doable.
For Alberta it holds people responsible for who they allow to drive their vehicles. Unless the vehicle was taken without authorization, RO is on the hook. Caveat being no demerit points for RO moving violations. Used quite frequently for commercial vehicle enforcement purposes.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm

You can also use:

Fail to furnish required information.

Used for when ROs or companies cannot provide operator info.

That’s how I used to charge parents when their kids were involved in fail to remains.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.