Science majors in the force?

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
EsivarT
Rookie Member

Re: Science majors in the force?

Postby EsivarT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Had a great conversation with a WRPS Recruiter.

"It doesn't matter what you take. As long as you like it."

I think it's also important to be able to take what you're doing and be able to relate it to policing in some way. I'm majoring in sociology because I like looking at the interactions between people in society. It'll also lead me to a basic understanding of the relationship between the public and police as we always have debates and etc in class.

Really truly though... don't waste your money on something you won't like.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
York Auxiliary

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Biology.

I could see you swing this by way of an interest in forensics. CBRNE.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I know this is only relevant to Ontario, but aren't the changes coming in to the police services act requiring post secondary? I remember seeing something about that for new appointments.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:20 pm

yea, here's the wording.

So 110(1)(f)(iv) might allow for someone to not have post secondary but sounds like it will come with other requirements.

Bill 175, Safer Ontario Act, 2017

Appointment of police officer

110 (1) No person shall be appointed as a police officer unless he or she,
(a) is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
(b) is at least 18 years of age;
(c) is physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard to his or her own safety and the safety of members of the public;
(d) is of good character;
(e) has completed the prescribed training or has been exempted from this requirement in accordance with the regulations; and
(f) meets one of the following conditions:
(i) he or she has,
(A) a university degree, or
(B) a degree from a college of applied arts and technology authorized to grant the degree,
(ii) he or she has a diploma or advanced diploma granted by a college of applied arts and technology following successful completion of a program that is the equivalent in class hours of a full-time program of at least four academic semesters,
(iii) he or she has been granted a certificate or other document by a post-secondary institution evidencing successful completion of a program that the regulations prescribe as being equivalent to a degree or diploma described in subclause (i) or (ii),
(iv) if additional criteria have been prescribed, he or she has a secondary school diploma and meets the additional criteria.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Just a side note... long time no see Haweater! :wave:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Haweater wrote:I know this is only relevant to Ontario, but aren't the changes coming in to the police services act requiring post secondary? I remember seeing something about that for new appointments.

I think this is a good move on the policing side as it puts more of an emphasis on the professionalism of the career path.

Also with the evolution of where technology and laws are taking us this also falls into order.

However it doesn’t say what the post secondary education has to be in.

I still am a firm believer that going for full on university degrees for policing is a waste of time.

Why put that many years to waste only to push a car for near a decade. Or have to pay off debt.

But a college or academia diploma in a trade or in business is more fitting.

We have university level courses available now through the workplace. Better to take it then.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

hermes
Rookie Member

Postby hermes » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Any opinions of applying with an incomplete university degree? Is this frowned upon, or is it an acceptable level of education? I'm currently a student working for CBSA, in my 3rd year of a BSc in Kinesiology. Policing is my end-goal eventually and some of my colleagues are encouraging me to apply ASAP, while others are telling me to finish my degree. I'll likely finish in 1.5-2 years, as I'm taking less than a full course load, so obviously if I can get in sooner that'd be great. I have excellent volunteering experience and I am quadrilingual BUT I am only 22 so that might work against me ... I'll probably just hand in an application to find out for sure though!