Distance learning Police Studies in Canada?

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
mPI
Rookie Member

Distance learning Police Studies in Canada?

Postby mPI » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:22 am

I'm looking into getting a diploma via distance learning while I'm working full time. So far Lethbridge College looks like the most promising, but does anyone have some input on any other Canadian accredited institutions that offer a distance police studies/criminal justice diploma?

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Re: Distance learning Police Studies in Canada?

Postby NorthernProtector » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:43 am

Dalhousie University has a Police Leadership distance learning program.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:33 am

NorthernProtector wrote:Dalhousie University has a Police Leadership distance learning program.

I did that one years ago. I stopped because its not recognized by anyone.

Distance education such as these are no replacement for actual institutions.

Dont waste your time.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Last edited by Regular Guy on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:51 pm

See my post above.

My partner is formerly of HR.

These degrees/diplomas are not recognized and score you no points on your application.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:21 pm

I took the Lethbridge College CJ program in its early stages back in 2007. At the time you were unable to complete the entire diploma program online but I believe that has since changed. I really enjoyed the course and would recommend it. It's recognized out west by lots of agencies. You also are able to transfer credits from the Lethbridge College CJ program towards a CJ degree through the University of Lethbridge.
Police Constable

markwoodca
Rookie Member

Postby markwoodca » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 am

St. Lawrence College in Ontario offers their entire Police Foundations Diploma online, fitness courses and all.

Link removed by Mod ~VS~
Not sure if this is something that might interest you.

Buman
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:39 am

Your suggesting a course with basically zero human interaction to help you get a job that is largely based on people skills? You'd be better off getting a part time Mcjob to get competencies and make some extra beer money.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

rro92
Rookie Member

Postby rro92 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Buman wrote:Your suggesting a course with basically zero human interaction to help you get a job that is largely based on people skills? You'd be better off getting a part time Mcjob to get competencies and make some extra beer money.

Yet sitting in a lecture with 499 other students is good "human interaction" when you do nothing but listening to professor talk for three hours? :crazy:

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:49 am

There's nothing wrong with police studies. What you get out of it is what you put into it. Sure it limits your job prospective to one industry (public safety) but there's always jobs like mice analyst, support officer etc if you don't want to be or cannot become some sort of peace officer.

I know of several police studies programs in Ontario where the instructors are all retired or current serving provincial or municipal police officers. They come from all areas (vice, gangs, recruiting, sex crimes, traffic, marine, mounted, courts, intelligence, public safety etc).

Sure, the course material might not be that great. What you may learn from the instructors personal experiences, however, is worth it's weight in gold. They might also give you a character reference when applying for a role in the future. To me, that's worth it too. You will also learn police acts, the criminal code and hopefully work on your fitness which all assists you in the future.

Do you need a police studies, police foundations, criminology or criminal justice diploma or degree? No.

Can you derive some value out of it? Sure.