Former Paramedic pursuing new career

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
Medic548
Rookie Member

Former Paramedic pursuing new career

Postby Medic548 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Hello everyone and thank you in advance. Long time reader and first time poster. I am looking for some insight/advice, here is a quick backstory...

I have always been interested in emergency services and the type of work that we hope to do and perform. I recently have relocated to Southern Ontario from Northern Ontario due to family reasons. I was employed as a Primary Care Paramedic while living in Northern Ontario but due to the need to relocate, I had to leave my position behind in good standing. I now currently work as a Developmental Support Worker while I explore new career paths. Obviously, given my history as a paramedic, I apply to EMS services in my immediate area to possibly continue that chapter in my life. I have been very interested in a Policing career since I was young and am now more than ever interested in applying. My question is if relevant emergency service experience is in fact an asset when applying to police positions/cadet programs? Should I consider more post-secondary education? I currently posses a college certificate and diploma. Is directly applying to complete the ATS testing the next best thing to consider doing? Perhaps others have gone through a similar change with similar backgrounds that could shed some light. Again, thanks for the time.

th
Veteran Member

Re: Former Paramedic pursuing new career

Postby th » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:06 pm

You have two years of post-secondary and a boatload of really relevant life experience. I wouldn't bother going back to school unless you had a very specific goal in mind.
:wave:

Adamv993

Postby Adamv993 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:02 pm

th wrote:You have two years of post-secondary and a boatload of really relevant life experience. I wouldn't bother going back to school unless you had a very specific goal in mind.

Agreed.. I work with an ex paramedic. He worked in the same area/region but decided to try policing and has not looked back!!

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 am

I work with an ex paramedic also. She's beyond useless. But i'm pretty sure she was the same way when she was a paramedic too.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 am

Hopefully you are not a leftist save the world paramedic that comes to policing to clean up the world.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:23 am

Ex-paramedic on my platoon too. Pretty decent worker.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:23 am

A.T.R. wrote:Hopefully you are not a leftist save the world paramedic that comes to policing to clean up the world.

I work with a few ex-A&D counsellors at my place too. Same statement would apply here. :roll:
Troop 30
March 17-September 8

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Medic548 wrote:Hello everyone and thank you in advance. Long time reader and first time poster. I am looking for some insight/advice, here is a quick backstory...

I have always been interested in emergency services and the type of work that we hope to do and perform. I recently have relocated to Southern Ontario from Northern Ontario due to family reasons. I was employed as a Primary Care Paramedic while living in Northern Ontario but due to the need to relocate, I had to leave my position behind in good standing. I now currently work as a Developmental Support Worker while I explore new career paths. Obviously, given my history as a paramedic, I apply to EMS services in my immediate area to possibly continue that chapter in my life. I have been very interested in a Policing career since I was young and am now more than ever interested in applying. My question is if relevant emergency service experience is in fact an asset when applying to police positions/cadet programs? Should I consider more post-secondary education? I currently posses a college certificate and diploma. Is directly applying to complete the ATS testing the next best thing to consider doing? Perhaps others have gone through a similar change with similar backgrounds that could shed some light. Again, thanks for the time.

No need to get more education,just apply.

Keep your paramedic license as well.

ms76
Rookie Member

Postby ms76 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:30 pm

If you want to move forward you need to complete the ATS testing before you can apply to any service.

Shootey71
Rookie Member

Postby Shootey71 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 pm

meathead1 wrote:I work with an ex paramedic also. She's beyond useless. But i'm pretty sure she was the same way when she was a paramedic too.

I literally LOLed
Last edited by Shootey71 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"half of life is all about making choices, the other half is dealing with those choices"

smitty44
Seasoned Member

Postby smitty44 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

meathead1 wrote:I work with an ex paramedic also. She's beyond useless. But i'm pretty sure she was the same way when she was a paramedic too.

Love it brotha!

canadianmedic10
Rookie Member

Postby canadianmedic10 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:20 pm

LMAO

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Medic548 wrote:My question is if relevant emergency service experience is in fact an asset when applying to police positions/cadet programs?

Paramedic experience would be worth far more than firefighting experience, in my view. Paramedics actually deal with people, under stressful situations, whom on occasion aren't happy to see paramedics. You're placed into a given situation and need to quickly evaluate it for risks, and to an extent figure out what happened to cause you to be called there in the first place. Any firefighters I have seen either stand around, or stand around and put water on things.

I came on with a paramedic and he was a good guy and is doing quite well on the job. I wouldn't bother seeking more education, but I'd follow someone else's recommendation of keeping your professional accreditation current. Not only to keep your skills sharp, but it's something extra to put on the CV.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

CF Medic
Rookie Member

Postby CF Medic » Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi folks. Kind of in the same boat here. I applied to the OPP in 2009 and was advised by the recruiter that the military may be a good idea to gain more experience. At the time I was working full time driving truck on a city route and going to school at night for pre-service fire ( understand that I just thought that a course in the emergency services field would be better than nothing ). So I took his advice and joined the military as a medic. I am coming up on the last year of my commitment and getting ready to apply again. Since joining the military I have received a paramedic certificate and finished the pre-service fire certificate. I also received an apprenticeship certificate from the USAF in Aerospace and Operation physiology, along with other courses and a deployment. I am currently an aeromedical instructor. I feel that I have bettered myself since the first time around, I am just looking for advice in the areas I may be lacking in. Such as volunteer work, computer courses etc. What types of courses would you recommend I try to complete or organizations i should volunteer with before I submit my application again?

Thanks in advance.

johnq

Postby johnq » Sun May 11, 2014 5:55 pm

CF Medic wrote:Hi folks. Kind of in the same boat here. I applied to the OPP in 2009 and was advised by the recruiter that the military may be a good idea to gain more experience. At the time I was working full time driving truck on a city route and going to school at night for pre-service fire ( understand that I just thought that a course in the emergency services field would be better than nothing ). So I took his advice and joined the military as a medic. I am coming up on the last year of my commitment and getting ready to apply again. Since joining the military I have received a paramedic certificate and finished the pre-service fire certificate. I also received an apprenticeship certificate from the USAF in Aerospace and Operation physiology, along with other courses and a deployment. I am currently an aeromedical instructor. I feel that I have bettered myself since the first time around, I am just looking for advice in the areas I may be lacking in. Such as volunteer work, computer courses etc. What types of courses would you recommend I try to complete or organizations i should volunteer with before I submit my application again?

Thanks in advance.

You definitely seem to have gained a bunch of experience since you last applied. I wouldn't stress about what courses or organizations to get involved with. Just let your common sense guide you towards what you like to do, anything that keeps you off the couch. Honestly, you're resume is already fine, you application is going to hinge on your test scores, how well you can articulate your experience into examples for the competencies, and whether there are any issues with your background.

My advice is to look at the interview prep guides or primers offered by the services you're interested in (the rcmp definitely has one) and plan out you examples for the different competencies. If you can't think of a good example, then that gives you an area to brush up on while you wait.

Good luck.