Should I get my Masters before applying?

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
alrazavi
Rookie Member

Postby alrazavi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi guys,
this is my first post, nice to meet you all.

I had a question and was wondering if someone here could give me some advise.

I am 21 years old and am currently finishing my 3rd year undergrad at the University of Toronto. I am majoring in Psychology and double minoring in Sociology and Philosophy. I am conversationally proficient in Farsi, German, English and Spanish. I would consider myself fit and I do work out 4 days a week, but I am not really the most muscular guy in the gym; I am average compared to the other guys that are my age. Also I have run 10km in less than 60 minutes before on several occasions,but I would still not consider myself a marathon runner either. If everything goes well, I will graduate and receive my bachelor of science in about 2 years from now.

My question is: I really want to receive a Masters degree in Social Psychology afterwards, but I was wondering whether it is smart to do it before I look into applying for a job as a Law Enforcement Officer. My wish is to join the Toronto Police Department. I should add that I am a Permanent Resident, not a Canadian Citizen.

If anybody has some suggestions, comments or other general recommendation, please let me know I would truly appreciate.

Thanks guys!

Sorry I forgot to add: I have been working in sales now for 5 years (Comission Sales Person) and also have done some volunteer work within my university as a Frosh Group Leader and as part of my Fraternity with the Canadian Blood Services (Blood Donor Clinics and Stem Cell registration events)

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Re: Should I get my Masters before applying?

Postby GPZ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 pm

If you want to be an academic, be an academic.

If you want to be a cop, apply before you spend another nickel on university. Post-secondary is great but university is too bloody expensive unless you are going for a professional designation (teacher, engineer, social worker, etc), or are independently wealthy.

Just my .02 cents.

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:12 pm

I disagree. If it's a goal to get your masters do it now. It will be much tougher (if not damn near impossible) if/after you get hired. I know 3 guys in my outfit who have their masters in various fields.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Yes.

Your 21. Stay in school and have fun. Apply later on. You might change your mind anyway.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm

No.

Apply, continue process of education.

Get hired, continue Masters later on and have employer pay for it.

Degrees for Policing in my opinion are a waste of time for the application process. Get them later on when you can apply real life experience to your mentorship.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm

My service only pays for a minimum and would not cover near the amount for a masters. At that point you're paying for an online master's course which is more expensive anyways. I think your options for a masters in social psychology would be limited online. Do it now. You're young anyways.

alrazavi
Rookie Member

Postby alrazavi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm

I appreciate for all of your helpful responses, thanks guys!

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:56 pm

You're so young! Continue school full time and get your post grad. If you really want it, do it before you get a full time career, family, etc.

Best of luck.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.