Security Interview

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
TrainerMom
Rookie Member

Security Interview

Postby TrainerMom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 pm

I just completed my security licence and just dipping my feet into this before I upgrade my education.

Curious for those who work in security now, what the interview process was like. I have been self employed for so long I have no idea what to expect.

I researched the company the best I could (I only have today as my interview is tomorrow), I have some questions to ask at the end.

Just not sure if they ask "typical" interview questions aka "what are your weaknesses, why do you want to work here,etc" .....?

I have applied to G4S and I realize this is low end....entry level to start. But everyone has to start somewhere.....

Any tips or advice is much appreciated.
Personal Trainer/Nutritional Therapist/Crossfitter

Paleo Mommy to 5 girls!

Angerman
Rookie Member

Re: Security Interview

Postby Angerman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 pm

I wouldn't worry, if you pass the mirror test you're in.

TrainerMom
Rookie Member

Postby TrainerMom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 pm

I'm sorry, I don't follow?

Paleo Mommy to 5 girls!

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Place the mirror near the nose & mouth. If it fogs up you are breathing.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:43 pm

You may find that some of the responses on here appear sarcastic. That is not always the intent, but it's a good idea to do a good search of previous topics to see if your question has already been answered. There is a lot of information in the "Applicants" section on job interviews. Although not aimed at the private security industry, the principles in any interview should be the same.

Unfortunately, there is a strong history in the security world of just hiring bodies with no thought to whether the applicant is any good as a guard or can communicate well. If you've got your SG license you can get a job with someone. Just don't expect much more than minimum wage unless you get an in-house security job (i.e. hotel or hospital).
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Angerman
Rookie Member

Postby Angerman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Contract security companies generally suffer from high attrition rates and must continually hire to meet their commitments, the application/interview process is usually little more than an opportunity for them to sell you on the merits of working hard, putting up with short notice schedule changes, on-call arrangements and strange working conditions as "paying your dues" and eventually climbing the ladder/gaining valuable experience.

If you possess a security licence, are literate and have reliable transportation you're who they're looking for.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Approach it like any other interview.

Look good, be polite, and choose your words and answers.

You should do fine.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

TrainerMom
Rookie Member

Postby TrainerMom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Thank you for the responses.

I expected that it would only be a low paying job, which sucks, but you have to start somewhere, right?

I am hoping to use this entry level position as a stepping stone, however, from doing some reading on here, and on the G4S Google reviews, it appears its hard to move up with them.

Paleo Mommy to 5 girls!

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 pm

TrainerMom wrote:Thank you for the responses.

I expected that it would only be a low paying job, which sucks, but you have to start somewhere, right?

I am hoping to use this entry level position as a stepping stone, however, from doing some reading on here, and on the G4S Google reviews, it appears its hard to move up with them.

My first uniform security job was with G4S. I hit the ceiling of the pay scale (not counting the bank truck guys) within a month, it was not hard at all. Like ATR said, Dress well be nice and when you do get hired try not to perpetuate the stereotype (slepping/being a dick for no reason/Lazy/Hero complex ect...).
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

TrainerMom
Rookie Member

Postby TrainerMom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Does everyone start bottom of the line in security? Min. wage will be hard to live on but if I have to I will if I know it will help me build up.
Does anyone ever start with a good paying security job? I don't even know where to look!
I did do a search on here, and grabbed some company names, and I read that working "in house" is best. How do I find/land a job like that?

Paleo Mommy to 5 girls!

TheCanadian
Veteran Member

Postby TheCanadian » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Angerman wrote:I wouldn't worry, if you pass the mirror test you're in.

Haha just saw this on Nat Geo !

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:16 pm

Approach the job with intent to move into mgt.

I don't know your credentials or background, but security mgt. isn't always a bad gig.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:50 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Approach the job with intent to move into mgt.

I don't know your credentials or background, but security mgt. isn't always a bad gig.

Especially if you can get an in-house corporate security gig.

TrainerMom
Rookie Member

Postby TrainerMom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 am

What type of education/courses would I need to "move up the ladder?"

Currently my background is fitness training, and before that I worked in Developmental Services.

Paleo Mommy to 5 girls!

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

I'm curious to know why you decided to move from the fitness/nutrition industry to security. It can't be for the working conditions, hours, or the pay. Or job security, for that matter (no pun intended), with a lot of the work being contract-based and the wealth of companies willing to be the low bidder. Are you seeing it as a means to a different end?