Verbal Judo?

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
darwin
Rookie Member

Verbal Judo?

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:51 am

I've been seeing this discussed lately and have seen a few job adds that list training in verbal judo "considered an asset".

I did some reading, may grab a book. Where is training offered in the GTA?

Jessew
Rookie Member

Re: Verbal Judo?

Postby Jessew » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:37 pm

While I cannot help with where training is available, I did buy Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion by George Thompson.

Just from what I read in this book, it definately changed the way I speak to people and the way they react.
I was working Loss Prevention at the time, and was able to diffuse most situations, and talk people back into the store, alot more successfully, and more often, than I was able to before I read this book.

DEFINATELY worth it.
K-Div RM

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks, I grabbed the book today, going to give it a chance and see what it does.

fozofallfoz
Rookie Member

Postby fozofallfoz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:20 pm

I am a Verbal Judo Instructor, well I do not agree with some of the material it is a very useful course. Generally the courses last 2 days, I found that the way I communicate with subjects now has significantly changed. I even use it to get out of arguments with the significant other :swords:

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Sorry but books don't "do" anything. If you can't already talk to people, Verbal Judo won't help you.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

fozofallfoz
Rookie Member

Postby fozofallfoz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Jim Street wrote:Sorry but books don't "do" anything. If you can't already talk to people, Verbal Judo won't help you.

To each their own opinion, from my experience with the course I've found it very beneficial. I know a lot of the RCMP are starting to do this training swell as all the Alberta CPO's take it.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:55 pm

And I am of the opinion that one still needs a basic understanding of social interaction. I've read Verbal Judo, it's not new. Lots of agencies have been teaching variants of it for a long time.

Like I said, just reading it does nothing. You have to put the principles to use.

For more LE specific, I'd recommend "Arresting Communication" by Jim Glennon
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Jim Street wrote:And I am of the opinion that one still needs a basic understanding of social interaction. I've read Verbal Judo, it's not new. Lots of agencies have been teaching variants of it for a long time.

Like I said, just reading it does nothing. You have to put the principles to use.

For more LE specific, I'd recommend "Arresting Communication" by Jim Glennon

An interview of Jim Glennon about the book,"Arresting Communication."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL6C5_T2ebw
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

UofAPO
Rookie Member

Postby UofAPO » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:30 pm

As fozofallfoz has indicated, it is pretty much considered the gold standard here in Alberta. It is now part of the Alberta Solicitor General's Peace Officer Induction Training, and most police agencies I am aware of use it as well. We do yearly recerts for it in my agency, and although I cannot say I fallow it to the letter all the time, there are situations where I have found it very useful. If you ever have the opportunity to take it from the guy who runs the Canadian side of it, Darcy Pennock, I'd recommend taking the time to do so. He's a very good instructor, and he understands the job and the challenges we can face. You can find more info on the website here: http://www.verbaljudo.ca/

fozofallfoz
Rookie Member

Postby fozofallfoz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 pm

UofAPO wrote:As fozofallfoz has indicated, it is pretty much considered the gold standard here in Alberta. It is now part of the Alberta Solicitor General's Peace Officer Induction Training, and most police agencies I am aware of use it as well. We do yearly recerts for it in my agency, and although I cannot say I fallow it to the letter all the time, there are situations where I have found it very useful. If you ever have the opportunity to take it from the guy who runs the Canadian side of it, Darcy Pennock, I'd recommend taking the time to do so. He's a very good instructor, and he understands the job and the challenges we can face. You can find more info on the website here: http://www.verbaljudo.ca/

Sounds like you were in my class in Medicine Hat :thumbsup:

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Lol, are you this darcy peacock?

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 pm

My department trains everyone on it. It's a good system, especially for vehicle stops. It gives you something to fall back on when you don't know what to say. It doesn't work in every situation, however, its a good thing to know. I highly recommend verbal judo.
Police Constable

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I did the Verbal Judo course a few months back. It was great and I would recommend it to anyone that deals with difficult people as a career.

It's not a replacement for common sense and being able to read people though.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

UofAPO
Rookie Member

Postby UofAPO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 pm

darwin - No I'm not Darcy Peacock, or Pennock for that matter. I have met and trained with the guy though, and he really is a great trainer (and trust me, I've sat through enough awful courses to differentiate).

fazofallfoz - I haven't taken it in Medicine Hat, but if Darcy taught it I'm sure it was a great course.

Soon2BRCMP - Vehicle stops are where it really shines in my world, I've had successful convictions in court based on the fact that I can definitively say that I said and did X, Y, and Z because I ALWAYS do my stops according to the Verbal Judo 8 step. The Judges, Crown Prosecutors, and ticket "agents" around Edmonton are becoming very familiar with it as the EPS train it as well.

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 am

UofAPO wrote:darwin - No I'm not Darcy Peacock, or Pennock for that matter. I have met and trained with the guy though, and he really is a great trainer (and trust me, I've sat through enough awful courses to differentiate).

fazofallfoz - I haven't taken it in Medicine Hat, but if Darcy taught it I'm sure it was a great course.

Soon2BRCMP - Vehicle stops are where it really shines in my world, I've had successful convictions in court based on the fact that I can definitively say that I said and did X, Y, and Z because I ALWAYS do my stops according to the Verbal Judo 8 step. The Judges, Crown Prosecutors, and ticket "agents" around Edmonton are becoming very familiar with it as the EPS train it as well.

I agree with 100%. I work over at the UofS so we are definatly on the same page. Its so ingrained into my mind on a traffic stops I don't even have to think about it. Works wonders on traffic stops and makes you look extremely professional.
Police Constable