Am I on the right track?

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Am I on the right track?

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clachambre
Rookie Member

Re: Am I on the right track?

Postby clachambre » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:44 am

It seems that you have a decent grasp of the english language, which is a huge head start for someone your age. Being well-spoken is a very important factor if you want to work in law enforcement.

-Stay out of trouble. Always think carfully about your actions and how they may affect your career (that will seem exhausting at first but you will get used to it). Always ask yourself "what would a good, moral person do in this situation?" - and the answer to that question is what you should do.
-Separate yourself from "friends" who have a negative impact on your life (ie they smoke pot or drive after having a few beers).
-Get life experience. Volunteer and find a job where you have to interact with people every day (it doesn't have to be a security type job). If you do get a security type job, KNOW YOUR AUTHORITIES and NEVER act outside of them. This has the potential for sewering your career faster than anything else.

Good luck.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:59 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clachambre
Rookie Member

Postby clachambre » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:49 am

On a side note, the lack of responses to your post is because on blueline this question gets asked all the time by people in your situation. Use the search funtion and you'll find more useful info.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnq

Postby johnq » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:07 am

As a young applicant about to graduate from university, I can not emphasise enough how important the point about making good life choices is. As a 21 year old I know so many people gonged from the RCMP application process for seemingly minor transgressions that most other young people do not even think about. You're young and probably still at home so you haven't had a chance to do too much stupid stuff, but you seriously need to make sure that you think of each decision you make and how a background investigator would percieve it.

I personally know people who have been booted for: trying weed once at a party. going to a party where people were smoking weed and not leaving. downloading movies. getting drunk too much. buying liquor for their 18 year old girlfriend when they recently turned 19 (All different people of course).

You are young and already know what you want to do. The people above (and people like them) are not evil, immoral people (although some of the people on this forum might say they are) but they were careless and made bad choices. You don't have to.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:52 pm

johnq wrote:I personally know people who have been booted for: trying weed once at a party. going to a party where people were smoking weed and not leaving. downloading movies. getting drunk too much. buying liquor for their 18 year old girlfriend when they recently turned 19 (All different people of course).

You mean people that tried/did what you speak of or people that did and 'forgot' to mention the facts on pre-poly?

To OP, dude, you are very lucky to find this site at your age.
Seems you have a good head on your shoulders as it is, with pointers from memebers of this site you can accomplish good things.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:37 pm

My advice to you...don't take that year off after highschool. It's VERY hard to go back to school once your out
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

johnq

Postby johnq » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:32 am

Tango5 wrote:You mean people that tried/did what you speak of or people that did and 'forgot' to mention the facts on pre-poly?

They disclosed it on the prepoly and were asked to apply again in 1-3 years depending on what it was, but as far as the OP is concerned thats irrelevant. He doesn't have to be in a position to have anything like that to disclose if he keeps his head up. Those kind of things are common mistakes (and in the case of going to a party with weed at it by most standards it isn't even much of a mistake) in university but as the OP knows he wants to be a policeman he can hold himself to a higher standard and avoid them.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:00 pm

recceguy wrote:My advice to you...don't take that year off after highschool. It's VERY hard to go back to school once your out

agreed. I was going to do that but stayed in school an extra year to upgrade some marks then went to school. My brother took a few years off and found it hard to go back to school when he was making good money at work.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:15 pm

If I were you I would set myself up with a trade or something else that would make me employable. You never know and having a backup plan is good to have. You might get injured or have a disease that will make you medically unfit.

Also explore other services other than the RCMP. They're many police services in Canada all offer just as much as the RCMP.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun May 05, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am

johnq wrote:I personally know people who have been booted for: trying weed once at a party. going to a party where people were smoking weed and not leaving. downloading movies. getting drunk too much. buying liquor for their 18 year old girlfriend when they recently turned 19 (All different people of course).

Really? Man, I've done nearly all of those things. Some of them I still do...though I finally stopped buying liquor for my 18-year old girlfriend, she's a wreck when she drinks.

Guess it's a good thing I never applied to the RCMP...
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?