Courses

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
mikestr
Rookie Member

Courses

Postby mikestr » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I have been thinking about taking some courses part time any ideas on the type I should take that are related to policing? I was wondering people's opinion....

Thanks in advance...

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Re: Courses

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Your question there is a bit broad, what types of courses are you looking for (college or university) what is your location etc.

These are all important key features to know when suggesting courses.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

mikestr
Rookie Member

Postby mikestr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:01 am

Continuing education courses available in Community Colleges such as Seneca. Such as:

1. Criminal Justice System & Community Services
2. Criminal Law & The Charter of Rights & Freedoms
3. Rules of Evidence
4. Decision Making - Training for Police Officers
5. Principles of Ethical Reasoning
6. Interpersonal Relations and Conflict Management

I was wondering if any of these would benefit me.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:16 am

Take a second language or something to do with computers, advanced MS Office or something. You'll learn all that other stuff if/when you get to the academy.
:wave:

mikestr
Rookie Member

Postby mikestr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:45 am

th wrote:Take a second language or something to do with computers, advanced MS Office or something. You'll learn all that other stuff if/when you get to the academy.

I already known Italian Fluently, I have 13+ as an IT Network Engineer. ;) I have to find other education to give me the edge.... suggestions?

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:40 pm

mikestr wrote:
th wrote:Take a second language or something to do with computers, advanced MS Office or something. You'll learn all that other stuff if/when you get to the academy.

I already known Italian Fluently, I have 13+ as an IT Network Engineer. ;) I have to find other education to give me the edge.... suggestions?

more languages. cultural diversity classes (not just Italian). report writing classes. etc...
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:46 pm

mikestr wrote:

Not that I am opposed to people improving themselves, but is there some reason that you feel you are particularly uncompetitive?

Why not just take something that sounds interesting to you? The History of Modern Germany, Canadian Politics and Policy, Comparative World Religions ...
:wave:

mikestr
Rookie Member

Postby mikestr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 pm

th wrote:
mikestr wrote:

Not that I am opposed to people improving themselves, but is there some reason that you feel you are particularly uncompetitive?

Why not just take something that sounds interesting to you? The History of Modern Germany, Canadian Politics and Policy, Comparative World Religions ...

heh, it is not that I feel uncompetitive. But I believe that you cannot be too prepared enough or be competitive enough when it comes to this process. Especially when there are 1000+ applicants for so little spots. World Religions, yeah I recall that from catholic school, I think one semester of that is MORE than enough. LOL

mikestr
Rookie Member

Postby mikestr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:26 pm

John014 wrote:
mikestr wrote:

more languages. cultural diversity classes (not just Italian). report writing classes. etc...

Interestingly enough I spoke to a recruiter in person today and I expressed my interest in learning a 3 language (Spanish, very similar to Italian) and he said not to bother. I was not expecting that answer. :? He also stated, "you what you are" doing more now will help only a little (disagreed with that as well). Cultural diversity is a great suggestion, although 10 years working for one of Canada's largest banks surrounded by all races I believe would be considered first hand exposure to cultural diversity. BUT what do I know! :ponder:

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Why not just apply and see what happens. If you get rejected, take more courses, do other things etc to improve your resume further during your deferral period, but right now you might as well toss in, best case scenario you get hired, worst case scenario, they tell you to come back in a year or two.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

ArmedSteno
Rookie Member

Postby ArmedSteno » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Humber has a great Introduction to dress-making class you might find interesting.
CAN'T PEOPLE FORM A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU FOR BEING UNPROFESSIONAL?
-BarneyEvans

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRDS THE WORD!!!
-Peter GRIFFIN

Policing is a lot like pissing into a dark black pair of pants. You get that nice warm feeling but almost noone notices.

QueensCowboy
Rookie Member

Postby QueensCowboy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 am

..take courses in subject matters that are of interest to -you- Any post-secondary education is helpful, but to gear your education solely towards enhancing your ability to get into a Police Academy is not in your best interest, imho.