Humber College MUNICIPAL BY-LAW Certificate program

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
ToyCopp

Re: Humber College MUNICIPAL BY-LAW Certificate program

Postby ToyCopp » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:34 pm

devilwoman wrote:My hubby has years of by-law experience, years of private security management (operations supervisor, patrol supervisor, scheduling, corporate security manager) a law enforcement diploma and a squeaky clean employment record yet he applies for these positions and doesn't even get a call back for testing, let alone an interview. I've met some people in these positions that have ZERO background and yet are hired. Figure that one out.

As an experiment, I applied to a couple he did. Even with my current position and background I didn't get a call. I'm not saying I'm the be all and end all, but I wonder what "qualifications" they are actually looking for.

And....if I dare bring up a blast from the past, look at our infamous poster here, Munenlawofficer. He was a drop out from ADT alarm response....a guy who did more damage to vehicles in the time that he was there then my whole platoon and he got hired on making great cash doing enforcement in Kitchener Waterloo area. He was a complete tool and was known to do burnouts in his work vehicle. Yet, he was still hired.

Sometimes I wonder if, when applying to these positions, its not what you know its who you blow.

I hear you in all of that!
Im in the same position.

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:34 pm

No one will hire people that know more or are more educated than themselves, they fear that they will be shown up. If they hire a chimp and then train the chimp in all the chimpy ways known to them, then those apes that hired the chimps look good to thier bosses. If you want to get into something like bylaw dumb down your resume, cause chances are the person doing the hiring has little education.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Perhaps it's like Policing. No relevant experience is necessary. What's more important is the type of person applying. Anyone can be taught to observe an offence and write a report. It's your personality traits and ability to deal with people that make you a good cop. Perhaps it's the same with these jobs.

CO

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:55 pm

I suspect it may be something to do with the type of By-Law enforcement as well right, I mean my city uses by law officers for various jobs such as property standards and pollution control, so in those capacities particularly in property standards I would think a bit of knowledge in things like house inspection would be looked at favourably as opposed to a security background. Having said that, it's mere speculation on my behalf since I do not work in by law enforcement.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 pm

For specialized enforcement (i.e. pollution control) I completely understand the need to hire people who may have no enforcement background but a background in certain areas. I'm cool with that and think its the best way to go. As CO said, anyone can be trained in how to write a ticket or a report.

With that being said, I think that people who have a background in private security and the other areas I mentioned, have most likely dealt with people ALOT and know their ways around dealing with conflict effectively. I know most people think that security people are tools, but, in all seriousness, you can't do that job effectively for long if you can't talk your way out of sticky situations or know how to talk to people. I did private enforcement and patrols for Toronto Housing (by this I mean fire route, handicapped, visitor) and that made me develop great "people" skills...never mind the ability to dodge pumpkins that were lobbed at me from the 20th floors. LOL

I'm just frustrated on behalf of my hubby......it seems like, after meeting some of the people hired for these spots who can barely put together a coherent sentence or even make small talk, I :banghead: that he can't even get an interview or testing.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 pm

devilwoman wrote: I did private enforcement and patrols for Toronto Housing (by this I mean fire route, handicapped, visitor) and that made me develop great "people" skills...never mind the ability to dodge pumpkins that were lobbed at me from the 20th floors. LOL

Ahhhh the memories, where you had to park the security car under the door weather shield or you'd come out to find a TV imbeded in your car windshield lol.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Smokeman
Rookie Member

Postby Smokeman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:59 am

TacticsPT wrote:No one will hire people that know more or are more educated than themselves, they fear that they will be shown up. If they hire a chimp and then train the chimp in all the chimpy ways known to them, then those apes that hired the chimps look good to thier bosses. If you want to get into something like bylaw dumb down your resume, cause chances are the person doing the hiring has little education.

When I was in bylaws my manager was a 'career' manager from the township. The line managers have more education than me. (ex-cop, all trained up in property standards/ licensing, etc).

I found when I got hired in bylaws - they hire us young and train them up the way they want you to be. Funny though, people get stolen all the time after they are 'trained up', that of course include myself... One thing about being young is that we don't walk into the depatment acting like know it alls.... you just sit there pay attention and learn!!

I guess bylaw is more like traditional business - networking is key to success.

rob_ambro
Rookie Member

Postby rob_ambro » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:14 pm

devilwoman wrote:Sometimes I wonder if, when applying to these positions, its not what you know its who you blow.

Lol... too often this is probably the case :pistols:

ArmedSteno
Rookie Member

Postby ArmedSteno » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Wow, I had no idea that people actually WANT to be Bylaw Officers.
CAN'T PEOPLE FORM A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU FOR BEING UNPROFESSIONAL?
-BarneyEvans

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRDS THE WORD!!!
-Peter GRIFFIN

Policing is a lot like pissing into a dark black pair of pants. You get that nice warm feeling but almost noone notices.

Smokeman
Rookie Member

Postby Smokeman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:59 pm

ArmedSteno wrote:Wow, I had no idea that people actually WANT to be Bylaw Officers.

$60,000 + with pension, benefits, in some municipality, working Monday to Friday 9 to 5 (No "staying behind", No shift work, no weekend, all holidays OFF) Easy life if you ask me.

I know a lot of ex-cops want to be bylaw guys too - those double dippers :D

kanderson
Rookie Member

Postby kanderson » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 am

The problem is that in most cities they interview internal applicants first, regardless of whether they have any relevant skills or legal knowledge. Usually existing city employees get the entry level by-law jobs and work their way up. The good paying jobs in by-law / compliance almost never go to someone applying off the street. A secretary on a 6 month contract with the city is more likle to get hired than someone from outside, regardless of experience. It would seem as though zero emphasis is placed on finding the most qualified applicant.