Toronto Eaton's Center Security

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
ice512
Rookie Member

Toronto Eaton's Center Security

Postby ice512 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 pm

Was thinking of applying to TEC security since it's in house from Cadillac Fariview and I heard it pays pretty well.

But this past week I noticed there was an I-garde guard walking the mall with her radio. It doesnt look like she was off duty or anything. If she was doing one of those in-store loss prevention duties she wouldnt need a radio....

Does anyone know if TEC has contracted it security deaprtment ? I still saw some the of the CF guys walking around, but the appearance of the I-garde lady made me wonder...... :?:

Thanks !!!

SteeL
Rookie Member

Re: Toronto Eaton's Center Security

Postby SteeL » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:06 am

Eaton Centre is inhouse. Most likely the I-garde was working security detail in one of the stores and was heading to the food court, washroom, or wherever.

Tank
Rookie Member

Postby Tank » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 pm

They are in house still. Apparently the security guys are joining a union. it pays up to 17-18 an hour.

ice512
Rookie Member

Postby ice512 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Thank god...

MisterB
Rookie Member

Postby MisterB » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:10 am

I used to work for CF at TD Centre. What they do there is they have a core group of in-house employees, but they do contract with those bozos at Intelligarde to supplement coverage. At Eaton Centre, non-supervisory positions are unionised. Their dispatchers are not. Unionised guards are treated pretty well; supervisors and managers, not so much.

ArmedSteno
Rookie Member

Postby ArmedSteno » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm

The Igarde guard was probably busy investigating a homicide
CAN'T PEOPLE FORM A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU FOR BEING UNPROFESSIONAL?
-BarneyEvans

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRDS THE WORD!!!
-Peter GRIFFIN

Policing is a lot like pissing into a dark black pair of pants. You get that nice warm feeling but almost noone notices.

ice512
Rookie Member

Postby ice512 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:01 am

MisterB wrote:I used to work for CF at TD Centre. What they do there is they have a core group of in-house employees, but they do contract with those bozos at Intelligarde to supplement coverage. At Eaton Centre, non-supervisory positions are unionised. Their dispatchers are not. Unionised guards are treated pretty well; supervisors and managers, not so much.

is getting a job at CF hard? I read over their requirements for some other sites and it says uve to have 2 years of expereicne plus a whole bunch of other knowledge....i know its gonna be higher than some of the clown companies out there but wuts teh standard like? Are they gonna take some fresh uni graduates?

psni
Rookie Member

Postby psni » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:59 am

TEC uses Intelligarde employees to fill spots if TEC guards are off sick etc. Also if anybody here is looking at moving into policing Intelligarde is probably the best stepping stone...look into it!
faber est quisque fortunae suae
every man is an architect of his own fortune

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:21 pm

psni wrote:TEC uses Intelligarde employees to fill spots if TEC guards are off sick etc. Also if anybody here is looking at moving into policing Intelligarde is probably the best stepping stone...look into it!

You haven't perused the threads of this site very deeply have you? :P

The general opinion of Intelligarde is not a favorable one for the most part here. I had the misfortune of seeing first hand a former I-garde as a recruit with our service. Wannabe extraordinaire! He ....um, er...well, move on to other things! :roll:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:35 pm

psni wrote:TEC uses Intelligarde employees to fill spots if TEC guards are off sick etc. Also if anybody here is looking at moving into policing Intelligarde is probably the best stepping stone...look into it!

:banghead:

I see another thread derail, like dave said Igarde is not looked upon favourably by many people. And there are quite a few former employees on this site that can attest to that.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:35 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:

You haven't perused the threads of this site very deeply have you? :P

The general opinion of Intelligarde is not a favorable one for the most part here. I had the misfortune of seeing first hand a former I-garde as a recruit with our service. Wannabe extraordinaire! He ....um, er...well, move on to other things! :roll:

Riiiight, being a security guard is not even close to being the best stepping stone to getting into policing or any LE career for that matter. I still can't figure out why people,mostly those who are young and inexperienced in life, feel security guard work is this amazing stepping stone, like some kind of hidden secret. Someone who has only ever worked as a security guard brings very little in the way of work experience,life experince and skills to the table.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Cadillac Fairview is a large property holder. It has the resources to afford employees better benefit packages and pay relative to vocation. Most in-house security will pay better and provide a more solid employment base. Further, in-house are just that and they are not out to rake in customers by portraying themselves as an alternate to police.

I have had a close working relationship with members of the Hamilton Health Sciences security group and find them a highly professional in-house agency. The folks up at Lime Ridge Mall (CF holding) also seem pretty solid (from what I've seen and heard). Over the years I've had contact with contracted security and they very greatly from professional to extremely unprofessional and oddly enough the company they worked for seemed to have an influence on that.

Security is cost of doing business for a company and those that want a competent security force to protect their assets in a suitable fashion will support a professional in-house security group. Again, like everything else, you get what you pay for.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

MisterB
Rookie Member

Postby MisterB » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:16 pm

ice512 wrote:is getting a job at CF hard? I read over their requirements for some other sites and it says uve to have 2 years of expereicne plus a whole bunch of other knowledge....i know its gonna be higher than some of the clown companies out there but wuts teh standard like? Are they gonna take some fresh uni graduates?

I wouldn't say it's hard. The standards are definitely higher than with any contract companies. If you don't meet one or two of the items on the job posting, don't worry about it. Apply anyway. Most of the people they hire tend to have some experience working for security companies, but don't let it discourage you if you don't have that experience.

ice512
Rookie Member

Postby ice512 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:52 am

Bald Man wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:
psni wrote:Someone who has only ever worked as a security guard brings very little in the way of work experience,life experince and skills to the table.

I wouldnt argue with you over this fact as you do posses a hell lot of experience than I do...but the fact is I am seeing a lot of my collegues getting hired on the police force, or at least moving on to some well paying security or parapolice careers. Security as we all know have many varities. If you can barely speak english and sit in a condo/construction site 12hours a day yes I can agree with you. But if you deal with constant incidents/guest service issues, I think the experience they gained there should be valued by the polcie forces. as a matter of fact, some of my collegues' parents are actually current or ex police officers, they do encourage their son/daughter to work security to get the experience, just be careful what company/site you work for.

PS: sorry for the bad grammar/wording/spelling im half drunk right now...

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:33 am

Life experience is just that. As for sitting in a condo or at a construction site you must open your mind to what might take place at these locations.

A “posh” condo for instance will no doubt have residents or visitors that will have attitude towards those they see as subservient. How you would choose to deal with them will show how adaptable you are. Going toe to toe with such people tends to leave you looking for new employment whether you were right or wrong (assuming you are the security guard at the condo in this case). Adaptability in your day to day dealings with them will demonstrate you experience.

Construction sites can be very interesting places. A lot of theft and mischief can take place at construction site where there are underlying trades wars going on. For instance a large job where two firms are subcontracted to do a similar job and firm A is trying to sink firm B to get them pushed out of the job. At some point you as site security will become involved in that mess.

So you can’t automatically discount those types of sites as offering no experience. The same as working a high traffic downtown site will offer up mostly incidents where you will deal repeatedly with shit-rats. This repeated exposure to only negative situations can cause predisposition to wrongly judge people before truly assessing them.

Another bit of life experience is – don’t announce to the world you are drunk. People tend to draw conclusions whether right or wrong about your character. You will experience this if you continue to announce such a condition.
-Mahatma Gandhi