Toronto Eaton's Center Security

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.
Mongo
Veteran Member

Re: Toronto Eaton's Center Security

Postby Mongo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:59 pm

The one commonality on this board seems to be that the people who most firmly believe that security is great experience for policing are the ones who are in security and not in policing. :ponder:

Curious.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

bcw

Postby bcw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:26 pm

CCPFPR wrote:
Bcwan wrote:Try Yorkdale or Scarborough Town. Although they all start part time. Pay is pretty good for a security job as well. Just don't make it a career.

That's key.

I actually forgot about Yorkdale, come to think of it I don't go there unless the lady wants to go. I should apply there.

Thanks for the info fuego123, that was priceless. Do you know if Yorkdale guards make as much as Eaton Center Security? because I know shoplifters keeps 32 Division busy with all the calls, then mall security has to come ban them, so I know there's never a dull moment there.

Thanks for the link "gotchya" but that's in Alberta, Eaton Center is in Toronto Ontario.

Currently $17.90 an hour when you reach their maximum wage. When you start you will start off $2 less then their maximum. There is a $0.35 raise each year as of 2010 August. You will be employed by Oxford properties (a division of OMERS). I would recommend them as the experience is pretty good. Some people think otherwise but I'm not here to debate about that. I'll here to give my advise on people using inhouse mall security as a stepping stone for any LEO position. I done it, it help me obtain the two LEO position I hold.

CCPFPR
Rookie Member

Postby CCPFPR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Mongo wrote:The one commonality on this board seems to be that the people who most firmly believe that security is great experience for policing are the ones who are in security and not in policing. :ponder:

Curious.

Please don't read this the wrong way, but in retrospect I have never stated anywhere that Security is the best step towards policing and I was not making any reference back to the community stating that Security was "the hidden key" towards policing. I was asking for other people's for help and suggestions - I don't believe also that your statement was fair because your not 100% sure on other peoples personal history. For instance me, I have worked in various retail company's, a bank, done hours of volunteer work, helped homeless worked in schools and so on, so Security in my aspect is one of my last goals before applying to the Police Service. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back but trying to make a fair point. Thanks

Bcwan wrote:
Currently $17.90 an hour when you reach their maximum wage. When you start you will start off $2 less then their maximum. There is a $0.35 raise each year as of 2010 August. You will be employed by Oxford properties (a division of OMERS). I would recommend them as the experience is pretty good. Some people think otherwise but I'm not here to debate about that. I'll here to give my advise on people using inhouse mall security as a stepping stone for any LEO position. I done it, it help me obtain the two LEO position I hold.

Wow, priceless information. So if I understand correctly your only starting off with around $15 per hour and working for the owner of the mall which is Oxford?

bcw

Postby bcw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 pm

CCPFPR wrote:
Mongo wrote:The one commonality on this board seems to be that the people who most firmly believe that security is great experience for policing are the ones who are in security and not in policing. :ponder:

Curious.

Please don't read this the wrong way, but in retrospect I have never stated anywhere that Security is the best step towards policing and I was not making any reference back to the community stating that Security was "the hidden key" towards policing. I was asking for other people's for help and suggestions - I don't believe also that your statement was fair because your not 100% sure on other peoples personal history. For instance me, I have worked in various retail company's, a bank, done hours of volunteer work, helped homeless worked in schools and so on, so Security in my aspect is one of my last goals before applying to the Police Service. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back but trying to make a fair point. Thanks

Bcwan wrote:

Wow, priceless information. So if I understand correctly your only starting off with around $15 per hour and working for the owner of the mall which is Oxford?

Yep. Your wage increase every $0.50 every 6 month until you reach their maximum. You also get the yearly unioned increase as agreed in their collective agreement. You are employed by Oxford properties a division of OMERS. Don't ask why I know so much haha.

fuego123
Rookie Member

Postby fuego123 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 pm

york dale uses black exterior and carry batons. We use interior, and where about to get white exterior vests ... :S CF doesnt want security guards..... they want customer service reps ... a few months a go they wanted to get rid of our cargo pants and turn our uniforms into suits.... York dale and Scarb are way better places... I wish I worked in one of thouse malls then eatons

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 pm

fuego123 wrote:york dale uses black exterior and carry batons. We use interior, and where about to get white exterior vests ... :S CF doesnt want security guards..... they want customer service reps ... a few months a go they wanted to get rid of our cargo pants and turn our uniforms into suits.... York dale and Scarb are way better places... I wish I worked in one of thouse malls then eatons

Fuego123, why are they better than Eatons Centre (CF)? This has been the whole underlying issue in a portion of the security industry; want-to-be mindset. Cargo pants, black vests and batons do make a security guard professional or better in any way. Malls and business towers don't want an appearance of a heavy handed security presence. They want tact and diplomacy for their customers.

Your comments tell the story. You don't like the the Eatons Centre because they don't want security guards looking like or acting like cops. You want to work for a place that lets you dress up with a black vest carrier and cargo pants. Think about that. Why? Do you honestly think you would be a better security guard? If you answer yes to that then you have some deep, deep issues. Part of being a security guard is understanding that you are in fact a security guard and not a police officer. There is and shall always be a difference.

The look of a uniform is never going to change what security guards do.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

CCPFPR
Rookie Member

Postby CCPFPR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:
fuego123 wrote:york dale uses black exterior and carry batons. We use interior, and where about to get white exterior vests ... :S CF doesnt want security guards..... they want customer service reps ... a few months a go they wanted to get rid of our cargo pants and turn our uniforms into suits.... York dale and Scarb are way better places... I wish I worked in one of thouse malls then eatons

Fuego123, why are they better than Eatons Centre (CF)? This has been the whole underlying issue in a portion of the security industry; want-to-be mindset. Cargo pants, black vests and batons do make a security guard professional or better in any way. Malls and business towers don't want an appearance of a heavy handed security presence. They want tact and diplomacy for their customers.

Your comments tell the story. You don't like the the Eatons Centre because they don't want security guards looking like or acting like cops. You want to work for a place that lets you dress up with a black vest carrier and cargo pants. Think about that. Why? Do you honestly think you would be a better security guard? If you answer yes to that then you have some deep, deep issues. Part of being a security guard is understanding that you are in fact a security guard and not a police officer. There is and shall always be a difference.

The look of a uniform is never going to change what security guards do.

I agree with you to a degree. I mean I would never want to look like a Tactical Police Officer while being a security guard, that it self is asking for trouble. But I would not say that they should look defenseless either, because you want to have a known presence to prevent/deter crime. I also support the use of a vest for people that request it, anybody read this article? (http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/ ... ng-at-mall)

Bulletproof Vest Saves Yorkdale Security Guard's Life After Shooting At Mall

A bulletproof vest is the reason a Yorkdale mall security guard is still alive.

The guard was shot in the chest during a confrontation with two robbery suspects Thursday afternoon. The noise of the gunfire sent frightened shoppers running.

" I didn't see the gun, I heard it," Lucy Izon notes. "I had people in front of me and everybody just scattered and I ran down the hall and into the men's washroom."

Fortunately the guard wasn't seriously hurt thanks to his protective vest. The situation began outside the mall with a gunpoint robbery in the parking lot.

The suspects entered the mall and headed toward the subway with mall guards in pursuit. The takedown happened as they approached the TTC station, and that's apparently when the gun was fired.

"During the arrest (there was) a bit of struggle and the firearm was discharged. (A) mall security officer was struck," explains Const. Wendy Drummond of Toronto Police.

Some customers expressed concern about why the takedown occurred in a busy area and not somewhere less travelled.

Two suspects, aged 15 and 17, were taken into custody. It's alleged the 15-year-old was carrying the gun.

Ontario's Special Investigations Unit was later called to the scene when it was discovered the 17-year-old had been shot in the leg. The wound was reportedly discovered upon his arrival to 32 Division and the teen was transported to hospital.

Just because you never know what can happen before police arrive. Question to officers, are Security allowed to wear vest under their clothing? Maybe that would help take some of the aggressive factor off. In my view Security should have a presence and appearance that would let you know that there on scene to offer assistance. They shouldn't look all out like a constable, I believe in the fine line between Policing and Security.

But back to the topic, would Yorkdale require a certain amount of prior Security experience?

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:07 am

I should not sigh from reading............Stop with the tac-tarted Security guard crap!! Use what they give you and don't bitch about it. Do the job to the best of your abilities and then move on when you have learned all you can. It's pretty simple really.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

bcw

Postby bcw » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 am

Dave Jenkins wrote:(CF)?

I believe its short for Cadillac Fairview. I can be wrong though. Seem right as its in context.

http://yorkdale.com/guest-services/safe ... ty/#tc-0,4

Requirements are listed in that link.

From what I know, Yorkdale hires people with prior experience in the security field. If you have lack of experience in that field you can compensate with post secondary education in a recognized institute. They require you to have a G license and a clean driving record. (They will request driver abstract) Those are the insider details.

CCPFPR wrote:I agree with you to a degree. I mean I would never want to look like a Tactical Police Officer while being a security guard, that it self is asking for trouble. But I would not say that they should look defenseless either, because you want to have a known presence to prevent/deter crime. I also support the use of a vest for people that request it, anybody read this article? (http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/ ... ng-at-mall)

Things happen. Just because of this event doesn't mean security guards would be equipped with SWAT gear. Word of advise; avoid confrontation if not necessary. You are not superman. Call the police. At the end of the day, its just a pay cheque.

Who cares if they use interior or exterior vest? The purpose of the vest is protection. If your employer provides them, great! Why does it matter if you look "kool" or not. The vest and baton is not what defuses a situation; its the way you literate yourself. Communication if your greatest tool. Some LEO positions and police officers uses interior vest. I know I do, I don't complain.
Last edited by bcw on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CCPFPR
Rookie Member

Postby CCPFPR » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for the tips.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:56 am

Bcwan wrote:Who cares if they use interior or exterior vest? The purpose of the vest is protection. If your employer provides them, great! Why does it matter if you look "kool" or not. The vest and baton is not what defuses a situation; its the way you literate yourself. Communication if your greatest tool. Some LEO positions and police officers uses interior vest. I know I do, I don't complain.

I knew "CF" was for Cadillac Fairview and that is why it followed Eatons Centre in brackets. The "?" was because the sentence was a question. ;)

As for vests. I think they should have them. My point was that fuego123 seemed focuses on the colour (black) of the carrier rather than the vest itself .
Why would a black carrier be better than any other colour? Intimidation factor perhaps?

Little things like that are what draw attention to the issue of the "want-to-be" factor in some security.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

co_to_pc

Postby co_to_pc » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Security is not the "golden key" to becoming a police officer.

I worked security before I got on with Courts. I did a lot of different things. I did armed work, close protection, mobile, I worked at a mall and at a university.

All of those positions gave me the experience to do well as a CO. The experiences as a CO gave me a leg up and prepared me to be a Copper. My previous experience gave me a HUGE advantage when I went to OPC. I wasn't scared to deal with with the people in the scenarios and take action like most of my classmates. My knowledge in Courts made fed stats much, much easier.

It's not for everyone, and doesn't guarantee you're going to become a cop or make a good cop. Like most jobs you get out of it what you put into it. People in policing come from a wide variety of backgrounds. There is no magic formula to get on.

It did however work for me. Just my opinion.