Typing test

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Typing test

Postby Ottawa_CBSA » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi,

I am currently applying to be a Deputy Sheriff in B.C and I need to take a typing test. The recruiter said that most high schools, Universities, and colleges would offer this service. I have called Algonquin, Carleton, and Ottawa U and they all said they do not offer it.

Does anyone in Ottawa know where I can get this done?

Thanks
BSO Position
Applied: Jan 15th, 2008
BSOT: Feb 12th, 2009
BSOT Passed: Mar 1st, 2009
First Aid: Have
PAL: Have
Interview: November 23rd - Passed
Rigaud - Graduated July 24th, 2010
Ottawa_CBSA

Re: Typing test

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:22 pm

I knew that I've seen this topic before... It's buried in the Ask an RCMP Recruiter thread...

Tom Ace wrote:I did my typing test online. My recruiter sent me an email telling me to go to typingmaster.com. I did the test, the results got emailed to me and then I forwarded the results to my recruiter. And it was FREE.

What's good for the RCMP must be good for others... but I would confirm this with H/R Department first. ;)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Janitor

Postby Ottawa_CBSA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks Wayne,

I did read through that post; however, they will not accept the online test. Makes sense to me, I mean really it could be anyone typing the test for you. I was actually surprised to see that the RCMP would accept that.

Thanks
BSO Position
Ottawa_CBSA

Postby gotchya » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:19 am

There is a catch to getting in done online. You have to have somebody verify the results (i.e. say that you actually did the test and that you didn't cheat). At least that's what the recruiter said at the RCMP presentations. I think that the Typing test should be removed from the application process. Most people now-a-days have grown up with computers and can type fast. I guess they are trying to eliminate the indexers (those are people who type with their index fingers, and search the keyboard for every letter, most people grow out of this phase, and graduate to proper typing...and some don't and they can't be come LE officers...LOL!).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage
gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:22 pm

gotchya wrote:There is a catch to getting in done online. You have to have somebody verify the results (i.e. say that you actually did the test and that you didn't cheat). At least that's what the recruiter said at the RCMP presentations. I think that the Typing test should be removed from the application process. Most people now-a-days have grown up with computers and can type fast. I guess they are trying to eliminate the indexers (those are people who type with their index fingers, and search the keyboard for every letter, most people grow out of this phase, and graduate to proper typing...and some don't and they can't be come LE officers...LOL!).

Even most indexers can type faster than 13 wpm.

I just did my typing test for my telecomms application. 68 wpm error free! I did it at the school here for only $14, which when you think about it isn't that expensive.

My computer teacher in high school didn't like me. I could type really fast without looking at the keys, without making errors, but I used all the wrong fingers.
Sed libera nos a malo.
SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:57 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:...My computer teacher in high school didn't like me...

Better roll out the Tanker for this one...

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Janitor

Postby Ottawa_CBSA » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:20 am

Maybe I will call the recruiter and see if I can do an online test and have a Police officer sign it or something.

Thanks guys,
BSO Position
Ottawa_CBSA

Postby Ottawa_CBSA » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:25 am

Hi,

I have contacted a bunch of places, including that place, and they do not offer it. I will keep searching.

Thanks everyone for your help.
BSO Position
Ottawa_CBSA

Postby DataCentre » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:58 am

You could just go to London Drugs or some other type of store that sells computer stuff, and purchase a Typing Tutor program which you can do at home on your own computer. Use that to get your typing speeds up prior to taking the test. I type up so many damn RCCs I'm probably over 100 wpm now.
DataCentre
Rookie Member

Postby Banned » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 am

Ottawa_CBSA wrote:Hi,

I am currently applying to be a Deputy Sheriff in B.C and I need to take a typing test. The recruiter said that most high schools, Universities, and colleges would offer this service. I have called Algonquin, Carleton, and Ottawa U and they all said they do not offer it.

Does anyone in Ottawa know where I can get this done?

Thanks

Any of the private post secondary places like Sprott Shaw, or whatever you have in Ottawa will do it. Call around and you will find that with most of them, for $50.00 you can walk in off the street and have your typing certified in 5 minutes. The BCSS will not accept something you printed off of the internet. You need to provide a signed or sealed certificate (this can be a letter on the school's letterhead).

The other option is to attend a typing or keyboarding class through Continuing Education through any public school district. Not only will they provide a certificate but, if your skills are weak or you want to improve them, you have that opportunity. If you want the in and out 5 minute deal, go through the Schools section of your yellow pages and start calling.

Good luck
I didn't say it would be easy - I said it would be worth it: Art Williams
Banned
Sage Member

Postby Ottawa_CBSA » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks everyone,

I decided to call Algonquin College again and see if I could find someone else to speak with. I told them what I needed and the she said "we do not offer this type of thing; however, I think I hear _______ tell someone to come in during her class and she will administer a test" So she transferred me to her extension and yeah, she said come in during her class and she will do the test and type up a letter for me.

And it's the last thing on my list for my application.

Thanks again,
BSO Position
Ottawa_CBSA

Return to Education and Training