44 Years Old and Want to Apply. Need some advice.

Ideas in police education and training. Discussion for programs such as police foundations, law & security, criminology, police college training, etc.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

flyersfan88
Rookie Member

44 Years Old and Want to Apply. Need some advice.

Postby flyersfan88 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 am

Hello everyone, I'm 44 yrs young and want to apply in the new year (2019). I've been working for the same employer for the last 28 years with a excellent track record and beyond a model employee. I do however only have a High School diploma, I know that is the basic requirement but in your opinion do you think I would need more to land a position?
I do have volunteer hours coaching a variety of sports, I have CPR and First aid, firearms licence, boating licence, along with other valuable training I've received at my current workplace. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

steen15

Re: 44 Years Old and Want to Apply. Need some advice.

Postby steen15 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:47 pm

flyersfan88 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm 44 yrs young and want to apply in the new year (2019). I've been working for the same employer for the last 28 years with a excellent track record and beyond a model employee. I do however only have a High School diploma, I know that is the basic requirement but in your opinion do you think I would need more to land a position?
I do have volunteer hours coaching a variety of sports, I have CPR and First aid, firearms licence, boating licence, along with other valuable training I've received at my current workplace. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Not sure which service you are thinking about applying for but I know many people who are on the job with different services that have only high school and others with university degrees or college diplomas. I'm late to the party as well, turning 40 in the new year and will be heading to Depot a few months after. The only way to know is just apply and see where it takes you.

Casey Jones
Poobah Overlord

Postby Casey Jones » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Here's some advice that I wish someone would have told me before I started this job..

Be a fire fighter.

flyersfan88
Rookie Member

Postby flyersfan88 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks for the reply Steen. It's reassuring to hear I've got a shot with only having my HS diploma. I know I have alot going for me, years of work experience , life experience along with other qualities the OPP should like. Like you said I can only go for it and see what happens.
Congratulations to you, good luck at Depot.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 am

Just apply.

See what happens.

TPS is on a major hiring initiative and mature candidTes bring a lot to the table.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Casey Jones wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:28 pm
Here's some advice that I wish someone would have told me before I started this job..

Be a fire fighter.
HAHAHA that's so ironic, I'm going the other way.

CanadianRedacted
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianRedacted » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:58 pm

flyersfan88 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 am
Hello everyone, I'm 44 yrs young and want to apply in the new year (2019). I've been working for the same employer for the last 28 years with a excellent track record and beyond a model employee. I do however only have a High School diploma, I know that is the basic requirement but in your opinion do you think I would need more to land a position?
the cbsa is always hiring and they value life experience. you already have most of the prereq's to apply and you don't need a degree.