New look for the Toronto PS

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
User avatar
No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:10 pm
Location: Collecting shoulder flashes in the CFL Club
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:37 pm

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto-police-halt-new-militaristic-cars-after-council-steps-in-1.3155070

Toronto's chief of police has stopped the rollout of redesigned grey police cars after city council asked the force to keep its old white, red and blue design. Coun. Michael Thompson brought the issue to council because he said residents were concerned about the "militaristic" look of the squad cars. On Thursday, council passed Thompson's motion calling on police to halt the purchase and distribution of the cars. The new cars started rolling out earlier this year, and were to be phased in over the next few years. They have a grey body with grey and white text, deviating from the traditional white, red and blue style.

Chief Mark Saunders made the announcement that he has decided to stop phasing in the new cars in a news release sent out Thursday afternoon. "There are people who like them. There are people who don't like them," the statement reads. "The concern that has been expressed has convinced me that further work is necessary." The statement neither mentioned council's vote, nor did it discuss residents' reasons for disliking the car design. But Thompson's motion sheds more light on potential reasons.

The document distributed to councillors suggests that Torontonians may not instantly recognize the new cars as belonging to police. "The proposed stealth grey colour scheme appears to be at odds with Toronto's desire for a publicly engaged, community-focused police service," the motion reads. The document explains that it has to do with the psychology of colour -- people subconsciously associate white, red and blue with values like clarity, courage and intelligence respectively. "Studies have also discovered that at its best, grey evokes neutrality and at its worst projects a lack of confidence, depression, remoteness and a lack of energy," it says."
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

User avatar
mack_silent
Rookie Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:36 am
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby mack_silent » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:27 pm

The word "POLICE" on all four sides and the large lightbar on top should be clear indications that it is a police car. :mrgreen:
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby FedCO » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:53 am

No 20 Year Medal wrote:http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto-police-halt-new-militaristic-cars-after-council-steps-in-1.3155070

Toronto's chief of police has stopped the rollout of redesigned grey police cars after city council asked the force to keep its old white, red and blue design. Coun. Michael Thompson brought the issue to council because he said residents were concerned about the "militaristic" look of the squad cars. On Thursday, council passed Thompson's motion calling on police to halt the purchase and distribution of the cars. The new cars started rolling out earlier this year, and were to be phased in over the next few years. They have a grey body with grey and white text, deviating from the traditional white, red and blue style.

Chief Mark Saunders made the announcement that he has decided to stop phasing in the new cars in a news release sent out Thursday afternoon. "There are people who like them. There are people who don't like them," the statement reads. "The concern that has been expressed has convinced me that further work is necessary." The statement neither mentioned council's vote, nor did it discuss residents' reasons for disliking the car design. But Thompson's motion sheds more light on potential reasons.

The document distributed to councillors suggests that Torontonians may not instantly recognize the new cars as belonging to police. "The proposed stealth grey colour scheme appears to be at odds with Toronto's desire for a publicly engaged, community-focused police service," the motion reads. The document explains that it has to do with the psychology of colour -- people subconsciously associate white, red and blue with values like clarity, courage and intelligence respectively. "Studies have also discovered that at its best, grey evokes neutrality and at its worst projects a lack of confidence, depression, remoteness and a lack of energy," it says."


That is unreal. Who ever thought? Its just a car. Hell put rainbows and hugs on the side. I say go back to navy blue and white. Huge POLICE on all four sides. :)

User avatar
ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 am
Location: British Columbia
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby ShadowBrooks » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Or the classic black/white cars

Image
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

User avatar
mark y
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby mark y » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Saanich PD's (just outside Victoria, BC) Blue & Whites look great...
Image

User avatar
ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 am
Location: British Columbia
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby ShadowBrooks » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Only looks cool because its a newer car :P haha
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

User avatar
MC07
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby MC07 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:21 am

So they have a vehicle design survey out.


https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TPS_Vehi ... -Community

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby FedCO » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 am

mark y wrote:Saanich PD's (just outside Victoria, BC) Blue & Whites look great...
Image


Love it.

User avatar
mack_silent
Rookie Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:36 am
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby mack_silent » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 pm

That is a sharp looking car.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby FedCO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:11 am

Any update to this?

User avatar
MC07
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby MC07 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:18 am

http://www.citynews.ca/2017/08/21/toron ... er-design/

It's looks like the grey design with white doors, and overly plain lettering.

EsivarT
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:27 pm
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby EsivarT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:25 am

MC07 wrote:http://www.citynews.ca/2017/08/21/toronto-police-unveil-new-cruiser-design/

It's looks like the grey design with white doors, and overly plain lettering.


Looks like Arial font, lol.

B&W would've been better imo. Not sure of the reasoning behind the choice of grey.
York Auxiliary

User avatar
mack_silent
Rookie Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:36 am
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby mack_silent » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Resale value is slightly higher on silver/grey vehicles.

EsivarT wrote:
MC07 wrote:http://www.citynews.ca/2017/08/21/toronto-police-unveil-new-cruiser-design/

It's looks like the grey design with white doors, and overly plain lettering.


Looks like Arial font, lol.

B&W would've been better imo. Not sure of the reasoning behind the choice of grey.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

EsivarT
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:27 pm
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby EsivarT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Makes sense. Thanks, Mack.
York Auxiliary

A.T.R.
King Poobah
Posts: 2278
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Mostly the same stock grey cars.

But like the OPP the doors have a white overlay that can be removed as needed.

Better for resale.

The Arian font looks fucking stupid.


And as far as light bars go. Who gives a shit. There's more to
Policing than LEDS.

We police an urban area. LEDS don't make much difference. Especially downtown during the day.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest