New look for the Toronto PS

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
john q. public
Seasoned Member

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby john q. public » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Punisher-One wrote:The airport got new rigs in the last year:

The rear is like this:

Pretty much absolutely frigging impossible to miss considering it lights up like a spaceship as soon as a little bit of light reflects off of it. Pretty visible TBH.

Agreed that those trucks are hard to miss with or without all of their lights flashing, even considering every other vehicle working airside has flashing lights.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Pretty much absolutely frigging impossible to miss considering it lights up like a spaceship as soon as a little bit of light reflects off of it. Pretty visible TBH.

The chevron striping on the back is mandatory under NFPA standards for fire trucks over 8' high. I actually had a very small part in that aspect of the standard (not that anyone really cares). It's amazing how many police cars and other vehicles we see where they have the chevron upside down. ("V" instead of "A"). The truck shown above is the correct way.

If you are curious, under the NFPA standards, the side striping on a fire truck has to have a 'step' in it, too. It cannot be one continuous line at the same level from front to back. The theory is that it helps differentiate the truck from a road barrier at night. Police cars have no such standard to follow, only SAE standards for the emergency lights.

Again, there's the black-over-red pattern that's only done to look cool, not for safety. There is zero advantage (and many disadvantages) to the black on the top half, especially for airports.

Correct....

Incorrect...

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:55 pm

I can understand the requirement for the step in the side pattern, as one of the elements we look for in the design of police car graphics when we judge the best dressed award is the directionality of the design. If the vehicle is moving, one should be able to tell at a glance what direction it is going. So, at least that black over top design of the fire truck shows direction.

As for the chevron, I fully agree with Mark as well. The "A" pattern is correct. Every time I have seen a "V" pattern, the car looks upside down. It reminds me years ago of one of our fellow road racers who painted letters on the back bumper of his sports car upside down, that read, "If you can read this, please roll me back on my wheels."

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:46 pm

mark y wrote:The chevron striping on the back is mandatory under NFPA standards for fire trucks over 8' high. I actually had a very small part in that aspect of the standard (not that anyone really cares). It's amazing how many police cars and other vehicles we see where they have the chevron upside down. ("V" instead of "A"). The truck shown above is the correct way.

I assume that is because the //\\ design directs the eye, and thus the vehicle, to the sides of the emergency vehicle whereas the \\// directs the eye and thus the vehicle into the rear of the emergency vehicle? Same idea as the traffic sign where the down-side indicates the safe direction to avoid the obstruction:

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
mark y wrote:The chevron striping on the back is mandatory under NFPA standards for fire trucks over 8' high. I actually had a very small part in that aspect of the standard (not that anyone really cares). It's amazing how many police cars and other vehicles we see where they have the chevron upside down. ("V" instead of "A"). The truck shown above is the correct way.

I assume that is because the //\\ design directs the eye, and thus the vehicle, to the sides of the emergency vehicle whereas the \\// directs the eye and thus the vehicle into the rear of the emergency vehicle? Same idea as the traffic sign where the down-side indicates the safe direction to avoid the obstruction:

You are exactly correct.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Dave Brown wrote:... It reminds me years ago of one of our fellow road racers who painted letters on the back bumper of his sports car upside down, that read, "If you can read this, please roll me back on my wheels."

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:46 am

So did the OPG guys at the Pickering nuke plant. I saw it at the Emergency Services display during Ajax Home Week this summer and it was so new they didn't even have any gear in it yet.

POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:07 pm

At least Pearson uses the black to good effect to add a 'stepping" effect that helps one see at a glance what direction the truck is facing. The OPG one does not. The tiny step and that goofy ribbon effect are not good enough to tell direction at a glance.

This is a good example of what Mark was saying, about the black over red designed to look cool and not add to safety.

In my mind, they would have been far better off to use that ribbon to separate the black and the red, and add a real stepping effect from rear to front.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:06 pm

At least OPG can use the excuse that black and red are the corporate colours. :D
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:54 pm

The final colour scheme for TPS.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f8iqQ9JOKuw
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 pm

No pursuits and no clearing red light intersections with that scheme.

Which is what I think they want.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Eagle County Sheriff (2009)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:33 am

Unless they've played with the video it looks like the graphics in the YouTube clip are quite a bit lighter and "pop" more than what is currently on the grey vehicles on the street.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:08 am

Punisher-One wrote:Unless they've played with the video it looks like the graphics in the YouTube clip are quite a bit lighter and "pop" more than what is currently on the grey vehicles on the street.

I noticed the same.
The cars on road are stealth/ghost decals, which are dark grey in daytime and change to more visible white at night when light is shined.
Maybe the lighting used in the video made them appear white.

Similar to this:
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:45 am

No, the new striping is white. From what I've heard, the gray cars with the "stealth" stripe w/light bars were an oopsie. Word is, under the PSA, you police vehicles must have white in their colour scheme somewhere.

The "stealth" vehicles will remain darked out, while the PSU vehicles will be gray with white striping.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."