New look for the Toronto PS

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
AHP309
Seasoned Member

New look for the Toronto PS

Postby AHP309 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:02 am

BROVO26

Re: New look for the Toronto PS

Postby BROVO26 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Interesting look, I wonder what the reasoning is?
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:Traffic cars?

14 division patrol car ?
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:17 am

Toronto really doesn't like the slim LED lightbar for some reason. I think they look much stealthier than the big rotary style.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

EsivarT
Rookie Member

Postby EsivarT » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Casey Jones wrote:It's a "ghost" or "stealth" car. Same decals, just subdued. It'll be used for traffic enforcement and depending on how they use their vehicles their road guys may get to use it as well.

Not really that big of a deal. Tons of services use 'em.

I think they're questioning the use of the lightbar on a ghost car. I've wondered why that was, anyway.
York Auxiliary

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:01 pm

ryan.p wrote:Toronto really doesn't like the slim LED lightbar for some reason. I think they look much stealthier than the big rotary style.

Probably because as a large service they have enough bars and parts to last 100 years
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:18 pm

I saw a couple of these a while ago and wondered why you would put a huge lightbar on a stealth car; seems to defeat the purpose IMO.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 pm

It's so that the old style white cars don't stand out when parked en masses in certain lower income areas.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

MC07
Rookie Member

Postby MC07 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 am

IndictableChaser wrote:
ryan.p wrote:Toronto really doesn't like the slim LED lightbar for some reason. I think they look much stealthier than the big rotary style.

Probably because as a large service they have enough bars and parts to last 100 years

On the new cars they replaced some of the lights with LED's

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJGK7SVg4Dj/

And even that looks like it was done on the cheap.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Von wrote:I saw a couple of these a while ago and wondered why you would put a huge lightbar on a stealth car; seems to defeat the purpose IMO.

I would guess that most people notice TPS white patrol cars because they are white, marked, and easy to see in rearview.
The stealth version is harder to see, especially in the dark, yet when it needs to be seen the lightbar clicks on and motorists or suspects on foot instantly know it's a police vehicle.
I personally like the look and visibility of the newer LED slim style roof lightbars.
It may be harder for citizens to recognize as these slim or internal mounted lightbars as being a police vehicle.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 am

TPS has the same "subdued marked" cars for their traffic cars. This one looks ridiculous that monster light bar on top. Perhaps unbolt it and put it in the trunk :alright:

LAWDOG

Postby LAWDOG » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:28 am

The Code 3 Excalibur rotator light bar is far cheaper to purchase and maintain. LED lights can be too bright in an urban environment because of back flash. TPS have integrated LED lights into the back deck and side mirrors. They also just started putting them as rear flashers inside the light bars. Downside is the light bars are loud to the occupants of the PC because of the mechanical parts.
"A good plan violently executed right now, is far better than a perfect plan executed next week." Gen. George S Patton

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:48 pm

LAWDOG wrote:

The Code 3 Excalibur rotator light bar is far cheaper to purchase and maintain. LED lights can be too bright in an urban environment because of back flash. TPS have integrated LED lights into the back deck and side mirrors. They also just started putting them as rear flashers inside the light bars. Downside is the light bars are loud to the occupants of the PC because of the mechanical parts.

I've been inside a few cars with the rotary overheads on and they are certainly loud as they reverberate over the entire roof surface.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |