Best Dressed Cars Contest

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Re: Best Dressed Cars Contest

Postby meathead1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Ref. mark y's post- Nice to see the pillar lamp in the trucks.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

wonka1990
Veteran Member

Postby wonka1990 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
SierraSeven wrote:Have to say Mark I much prefer the white strobes on the new Fords over headlight wig-wags.

Yeah those LED flash/strobe in the new Interceptors headlights are super bright.

I don't think these are standard.. We don't have any in ours
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:34 pm

I wonder if that's a factory option, like the red/blue lights in the bottom of the liftgate that are visible when you open it up.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 am

No 20 Year Medal wrote:I wonder if that's a factory option, like the red/blue lights in the bottom of the liftgate that are visible when you open it up.

It's a factory-upfit option (like the lights under the taillight and a few other things). They are made by Whelen specifically for Ford and are not available aftermarket (not even from Whelen dealers).

Ford doesn't actually install those options but rather farms them out to a 3rd party company near the Ford factory that installs that kind of 'upfit' option then ships the car back to Ford for completion. It used to be Crown North America that Ford farmed these upfits out to (when the Crown Vic was around) but it's a different company now.

GM uses Kerr Industries, and Chrysler uses an Ontario-based company called Ground Effects.

The factory-upfit options are very expensive and you're limited as to what you can get. When our customers order vehicles, we suggest that they order (on the Fords) the corner LED headlight prep which includes the headlight wig-wag emulator lights, and the front and rear corner LEDs, other than that, you don't generally get much value out of those factory-upfitting packages.

The car dealers make very little money on fleet vehicles ($500 or so, if they are lucky) so the factory-upfit options are a great way to double their profit on a vehicle. However, the prices are VERY high (especially the replacement parts - often 200%-500% higher than the same part from 'regular' lights & siren dealers) and you get what you get - no customization, etc. and they limit the warranty as well.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Ahh, thanks Mark. The lights in the liftgate look like the same ones in the lower part of the front grill and I just assumed that was a Ford option, like the way the "A" pillar comes pre-wired for a spotlight (or at least used to on the Vic's).
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

CBK

Postby CBK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Having gone through the whole process for the 2013 SUV I'm running and researching the heck out of it prior to ordering (there wasn't much out there at the time), I'd get the front corner strobes and that's it (tails come in white too, I switched out to red/blue after).
I'd get the rest done by your choice up-fitter and NOT from Ford.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:12 am

CBK wrote:Having gone through the whole process for the 2013 SUV I'm running and researching the heck out of it prior to ordering (there wasn't much out there at the time), I'd get the front corner strobes and that's it (tails come in white too, I switched out to red/blue after).

You can get the headlight PREP package that gives you the HOLES for the corner LEDs, but not the [$295] LEDs themselves. Sound-Off and Federal Signal have lights that will directly fit in (twist-lock), or you can get a number of other LED brands (I have a fave but won't mention it here) that will work in the holes with a little creative mounting. Most are about $85 per light.

The hard part is drilling nice holes without getting all the shavings in the lens. If you get the prep package from Ford then you get the holes pre-done but you can add your own lights.

Ford has those wig-wag emulator things, but we have had tons of failures with those. The ONLY resolution for that is a Ford dealer and get them under warranty. You don't want to know what they cost out of warranty.

A better option, IMHO, is put a pushbumper on the vehicle, get 2 or 4 good lights in the crosstube of the pushbumper, and also mount the siren speakers up there (higher external volume, lower in-cab volume), as well as some side-facing lights in the pushbumper. It's about the same price as one or two of those wigwag emulator thingies but with better warning.

Oh, and as a related note, the Ford models are changing for 2016, too. See the newer civilian Explorers - the Law Enforcement models usually run about a year behind that.

CBK

Postby CBK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:07 am

mark y wrote:
CBK wrote:Having gone through the whole process for the 2013 SUV I'm running and researching the heck out of it prior to ordering (there wasn't much out there at the time), I'd get the front corner strobes and that's it (tails come in white too, I switched out to red/blue after).

You can get the headlight PREP package that gives you the HOLES for the corner LEDs, but not the [$295] LEDs themselves. Sound-Off and Federal Signal have lights that will directly fit in (twist-lock), or you can get a number of other LED brands (I have a fave but won't mention it here) that will work in the holes with a little creative mounting. Most are about $85 per light.

The hard part is drilling nice holes without getting all the shavings in the lens. If you get the prep package from Ford then you get the holes pre-done but you can add your own lights.

Ford has those wig-wag emulator things, but we have had tons of failures with those. The ONLY resolution for that is a Ford dealer and get them under warranty. You don't want to know what they cost out of warranty.

A better option, IMHO, is put a pushbumper on the vehicle, get 2 or 4 good lights in the crosstube of the pushbumper, and also mount the siren speakers up there (higher external volume, lower in-cab volume), as well as some side-facing lights in the pushbumper. It's about the same price as one or two of those wigwag emulator thingies but with better warning.

Oh, and as a related note, the Ford models are changing for 2016, too. See the newer civilian Explorers - the Law Enforcement models usually run about a year behind that.

Even better :thumbsup:

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:44 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Peel still has the worst looking cars.

Decals are always crooked and the design does not flow with the car shape.

Wordings are usually split by body panel creases.
They look horrible.

Someone please get TPS out of the 90's and upgrade their UGLY ASS light bars.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Hey Mark Y,

How do the external mount speakers handle the snow? I know in OPP land if you get into a good snowstorm with crap falling steadily, if you go to use the sirens (we have internal mount) the sound doesn't penetrate the built up snow and grille too well.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:09 pm

basketcase wrote:Hey Mark Y,

How do the external mount speakers handle the snow? I know in OPP land if you get into a good snowstorm with crap falling steadily, if you go to use the sirens (we have internal mount) the sound doesn't penetrate the built up snow and grille too well.

I've been asked that before and I don't really know how to answer it, being from Vancouver and all :?

My thought was that it'd be similar to a behind-grille speaker. They get pretty full o' junk as well, from what we see when we decommission old cars, but I don't know specifically about the snow, sorry.

Criminal Psych
Rookie Member

Postby Criminal Psych » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:22 am

Stinger wrote:Someone please get TPS out of the 90's and upgrade their UGLY ASS light bars.

When I asked why we're still using the halogens I was told that it had been determined they "bounce off the glass buildings downtown better"...I'm not going to lie, still a little skeptical that money has nothing to do with it.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Criminal Psych wrote:
Stinger wrote:Someone please get TPS out of the 90's and upgrade their UGLY ASS light bars.

When I asked why we're still using the halogens I was told that it had been determined they "bounce off the glass buildings downtown better"...I'm not going to lie, still a little skeptical that money has nothing to do with it.

I heard it's because they have so much stock in those light bar, blubs, etc to last well into 2020.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:06 am

Looks like Vancouver won the Best Dressed car this year...

http://www.policecanada.org/policeca/bl ... index.html

ewmedicst
Rookie Member

Postby ewmedicst » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:38 pm

mark y wrote:

Is there a rule anywhere about the vehicles 100% needing factory lighting? As mentioned previously, there are options out there (Whelen, Speed Tech Lights, Code3, and many others) who offer lightbars, hide-aways, traffic advisors, grill/deck lights, sirens, speakers, and TONS more stuff.

If the department had someone in-house, or a local friendly mechanic/tech, they could easily save tons of money on this stuff and re-purpose the funds to other needy areas. Just a thought...
Not a member of the LE family, but a proud supporter of all they do.