Best Dressed Cars Contest

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Re: Best Dressed Cars of 2012

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 am

smarmy_rebel wrote:
And those "regulatory immigration cases" are responsible for the vast vast vast vast majority of CBSA transports...

In order for a car to be considered a "slick top" I think there has to be a premeditated effort to make a vehicle more "stealthy" by removing a light bar that would otherwise be on said vehicle.

The cars you speak of simply lack light bars and only have very basic lighting packages on them... (Maybe that's because the CBSA doesn't really need emergency lighting, but I'm sure that's a conversation lots of people here are eager to have!)

Oh, and the fact that some of the cars are white, some are blue, and some are black with several different styles of markings (at the same POE!!!) is just proof that there really isn't a cohesive policy for ordering and dressing these vehicles.

I also don't understand why there is gold in the CBSA markings. Someone should have reminded them that the official CBSA colours have been Blue and Silver since like 2006!

You are a sad sorry little individual.
You are so butt-hurt that you couldn't get hired with CBSA that you must make up "facts" that you have no knowledge of continually. You are truly a loser.

hacienda216
Rookie Member

Postby hacienda216 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 am

smarmy_rebel wrote:
hacienda216 wrote:
I think those black (or dark blue?) CBSA cars with the similar branding with slick tops look badass. There are quite a few of those kicking around the Niagara POA's.

In order for a car to be considered a "slick top" I think there has to be a premeditated effort to make a vehicle more "stealthy" by removing a light bar that would otherwise be on said vehicle.

The cars you speak of simply lack light bars and only have very basic lighting packages on them... (Maybe that's because the CBSA doesn't really need emergency lighting, but I'm sure that's a conversation lots of people here are eager to have!)...

The "slick top" car I was speaking of lacked a light bar and had front, side and rear LED lighting...In essence, the car had a *SLICK* roof *TOP*; hence the term "slick top" is used here...??

Here are various examples of what people in the business refer to as "slick top" vehicles. Please, feel free to explore the following links and familiarize yourself with the concept.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivarix/7048753877/

http://flickriver.com/photos/gopherit2/4019297956/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46036002@N05/6047500285/

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/292626 ... 866094457/

PoliceCarDiecast
Rookie Member

Postby PoliceCarDiecast » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 am

Smarmy just doesn't know..... but it's never too late to learn! :D

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 pm

smarmy_rebel wrote:
Oh, and the fact that some of the cars are white, some are blue, and some are black with several different styles of markings (at the same POE!!!) is just proof that there really isn't a cohesive policy for ordering and dressing these vehicles.

I also don't understand why there is gold in the CBSA markings. Someone should have reminded them that the official CBSA colours have been Blue and Silver since like 2006!

The black, white, and blue cars look fine at least... the grey, silver, beige, etc ones are a little weird. Seems like they just buy whatever colour happens to be on the lot or something and then put decals on.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm particularly fond of our burgundy Caravan.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Whistler22 wrote:... the grey, silver, beige, etc ones are a little weird. Seems like they just buy whatever colour happens to be on the lot or something and then put decals on.

I think that's the truth man. Why else would we have such a random assortment of vehicles?

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:50 pm

In the industry jargon;

--> Marked Car = normally a vehicle that has full police decals and overt equipment, with a rooftop lightbar

-> Slick-Top = any vehicle (marked or not) with no rooftop lightbar....

-> Unmarked car = vehicle without markings (hence "unmarked"), no lightbar on top, lights/decals/equipment set up in a way to be less conspicuous when lights are not activated.

--> Covert car = vehicle designed to have (usually) very minimal emergency equipment, particularly in that it can't be detected even upon close visual inspection by the average person. Good for detective use. NOT good for true undercover work where discovery of the equipment would lead to "blowing your cover".

Then of course there is the completely covert car suitable for undercover work....

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 am

Just looking at the advertisement on the back cover of the February 2013 Blue Line Magazine...

I can't help but notice that Chrysler is advertising a Ford product... :ponder:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 pm

argyll wrote:
mark y wrote:In the industry jargon;

--> Marked Car = normally a vehicle that has full police decals and overt equipment, with a rooftop lightbar

-> Unmarked car = vehicle without markings (hence "unmarked"), no lightbar on top, lights/decals/equipment set up in a way to be less conspicuous when lights are not activated.

--> Covert car = vehicle designed to have (usually) very minimal emergency equipment, particularly in that it can't be detected even upon close visual inspection by the average person. Good for detective use. NOT good for true undercover work where discovery of the equipment would lead to "blowing your cover".

Then of course there is the completely covert car suitable for undercover work....

Love the UK markings.......no-one can see they didn't see the car !

I'd take that Jag with any markings :D .

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Last edited by Columbo on Sun May 26, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more thing..."

AnthonyK

Postby AnthonyK » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:33 am

mark y wrote:In the industry jargon;

And then we have awesome cars like this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=85a_1361500229

NYC truly undercover. :boxer:

MC07
Rookie Member

Postby MC07 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm

AnthonyK wrote:

I'd say that the driving skills of the driver might be a obvious give away.

AnthonyK

Postby AnthonyK » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 pm

MC07 wrote:
AnthonyK wrote:

I'd say that the driving skills of the driver might be a obvious give away.

"NYPD hires a recently fired ex-ottawa police constable to drive UC Taxi cab". :alright: