Ford Interceptor silent partner issue.

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
twuerch
Rookie Member

Ford Interceptor silent partner issue.

Postby twuerch » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:45 am

Has any agency expressed a concern regarding the space between the rear windows and the silent partner?

Even with the plastic shield in place, there seems to be a lot of room for a prisoner to get an arm into the front.

Is there a solution for this issue? I have been told by our garage that the space is required because of the side curtain airbag.

FedCO
King Poobah

Re: Ford Interceptor silent partner issue.

Postby FedCO » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:14 am

twuerch wrote:Has any agency expressed a concern regarding the space between the rear windows and the silent partner?

Even with the plastic shield in place, there seems to be a lot of room for a prisoner to get an arm into the front.

Is there a solution for this issue? I have been told by our garage that the space is required because of the side curtain airbag.

Its hard to make a police vehicle. Between comfort, performance, safety. I hope if this is an issue, it can be fixed some how.

hacienda216
Rookie Member

Postby hacienda216 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

FedCO wrote:
twuerch wrote:Has any agency expressed a concern regarding the space between the rear windows and the silent partner?

Its hard to make a police vehicle. Between comfort, performance, safety. I hope if this is an issue, it can be fixed some how.

Ya, maybe they can velcro on some flimsy little 1/8" clear plastic panels, those looked sufficient :smirk:

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 pm

There are other adapter kits with pre-formed extensions that can be bolted in place. They are formed to allow for things like seat belt anchor points and/or air bags. Mac U used them on a few vehicles.

Not the image I was looking for. What is shown is the more traditional extensions. The plexiglass and lower metal portion was shaped into a number of angles to rap around things and allow movement of safety equipment. Same as bottom extensions and even top extensions (from back in the Chrysler Intrepid days) can be ordered. Likely the cost was the hold back. :roll:

I think Setina makes airbag compatible partitions/extensions.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:24 am

It might help if you could provide a picture. We've seen some agencies think they can remove partitions from Crown Vics and "make them work" in the new Fords. For some reason there is still the thought with some people that "all the stuff" from a Crown Vic will automatically fit into the new Ford sedans, which of course is not the case.

The "air bag compatible" Setina panels are just a very flimsy piece of plastic that we call a "spit shield", because that's about all it is good for.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 pm

We discovered this when we had the vehicles at our det. We put the issue up to our fleet services guys and were told essentially we are all trained to handcuff people and it's our responsibility to secure people.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm

When Mac when GREEN with the hybrids a local auto mechanic (through DW and her car contacts) worked out some custom fitting for the Silent Partners. This included the bottom and sides all custom created.

I like some of HPS's divided back seats. Two cages. keeps idiots away from each other ......or puts just a little more between the officer and an idiot.

Back before cages Mac made a point of two officers for transport. Made a habit of one in the back seat behind the driver to keep the numpty in check. Fiddle with the cuffs or act up..... :boxer:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:39 pm

When Mac when GREEN with the hybrids a local auto mechanic (through DW and her car contacts) worked out some custom fitting for the Silent Partners. This included the bottom and sides all custom created.

If you mean "worked out some custom fitting" you mean swearing, smashing and generally beating on the originals......well then, yes we did work them out custom. :smirk: I lost some blood fishing the wiring through the roof on the Malibu for our lightbar......I think I'm even scarred. :dropjaw:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 am

devilwoman wrote:

If you mean "worked out some custom fitting" you mean swearing, smashing and generally beating on the originals......well then, yes we did work them out custom. :smirk: I lost some blood fishing the wiring through the roof on the Malibu for our lightbar......I think I'm even scarred. :dropjaw:

Hey, I think we'd all be scarred after working for Jenkins!

:D

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 am

You have no idea!

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:03 pm

devilwoman wrote:

You have no idea!

Hey......I'm not the one who scars people.......hell, you try and HURL people out of moving patrol cars...... :twitch:
-Mahatma Gandhi

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Hey......I'm not the one who scars people.......hell, you try and HURL people out of moving patrol cars...... :twitch:

HA! I've told you...when I'm in the pilot's seat, never attempt to exit the vehicle until I bring it to a full and complete stop. :shame:

CNPS
Rookie Member

Postby CNPS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Properly search your prisoner and / or if necessary place them in hand restraints... problem solved. For me, this is a non issue.

I've seen and operated police vehicles with the space needed for side curtain airbags.

I don't put un-searched and / or unrestrained prisoners in my ride! I'm going home to see my family when shifts over. ;)
"You're just a whiner, remember the truth has no place in policing." R.W.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 pm

So you handcuff everyone before putting them in the back? What about giving someone a lift, or a person you are giving a breath test to, or a witness you are taking a statement from- you know, people you have NO LEGAL AUTHORITY to handcuff???
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

railcop
Grand Poobah

Postby railcop » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:50 am

He typed " prisoner" not granny or mommy with a flat. Common sense is one of his better qualities.
railcop
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.