OPP Mustang

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
NatoBro
Veteran Member

OPP Mustang

Postby NatoBro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 pm

The OPP back in my hometown are having a safety campaign, and revealed this beauty at the opening event.

"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Re: OPP Mustang

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Looks neat but I'm thinking strictly photo op, like that Maserati a few years ago.

POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Queen's Cowboy

Postby Queen's Cowboy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Meh, my Mustang looks better and only half painted. Remind me to post a photo in the spring when it is finished.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a soldier.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:52 am

I immediately thought of this

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:06 am

"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:48 am

Both the 'Stang and Maseratti are WAY cool, but again...2 doors?! May as well be on a rocket sled! It is like when a pooch chases down a passing vehicle - once you catch up, NOW what? Oops, my bad - just noticed the rear doors on the trident-badge; Chive On!

Stick with the LE Pursuit / Interceptor sedans, cross-overs or SUVs, or, where necessary, both for terrain / weather but to also "fit in" with the community, crew-cab pick-up trucks (GD *NEEDS* a 50 / 50 fleet of the first 3 and the last 1). You gals and non-ladies NEED the "client livery carriage compartments", plus LOTS of secure storage space.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:Both the 'Stang and Maseratti are WAY cool, but again...2 doors?! May as well be on a rocket sled! It is like when a pooch chases down a passing vehicle - once you catch up, NOW what? Oops, my bad - just noticed the rear doors on the trident-badge; Chive On!

Stick with the LE Pursuit / Interceptor sedans, cross-overs or SUVs, or, where necessary, both for terrain / weather but to also "fit in" with the community, crew-cab pick-up trucks (GD *NEEDS* a 50 / 50 fleet of the first 3 and the last 1). You gals and non-ladies NEED the "client livery carriage compartments", plus LOTS of secure storage space.

Pete, not everyone works in Pumphandle SK. Two doors for a traffic car is fine if you have other cars around in the odd event you need to cuff and stuff someone. Some municipal agencies don't even transport with CVPIs but instead always use a paddy wagon (or so To Serve and Protect has lead me to believe).
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Mark S wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:Both the 'Stang and Maseratti are WAY cool, but again...2 doors?! May as well be on a rocket sled! It is like when a pooch chases down a passing vehicle - once you catch up, NOW what? Oops, my bad - just noticed the rear doors on the trident-badge; Chive On!

Pete, not everyone works in Pumphandle SK. Two doors for a traffic car is fine if you have other cars around in the odd event you need to cuff and stuff someone. Some municipal agencies don't even transport with CVPIs but instead always use a paddy wagon (or so To Serve and Protect has lead me to believe).

True enough - I worked lonesome for so long, it is hard to forget. In many ways, they make as much, if not more, sense as / than a motorcycle, and yet we had an AWESOME time September long weekend 2010 with 2 marked MC, 1 marked SUV and 1 marked CVPI (me) when we did the Weyburn - Regina - Ft Qu'Appelle - Melville - Yorkton - Canora - Humboldt - Saskatoon - North Battleford - Kindersley - Swift Current tour.

Certainly in a "team project" environment it would work - Pumphandle GD would just have to sit on the curb, sigh and drool; come to think of it, as long as I would be on Pumphandle RTS, that scenario would be EXCELLENT!

Yeah, I know - take my Geritol, wrap up in my blanket, go back to sleep; all of you can just go chase yourselves!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:14 pm

It's not just in Pumphandle, SK. Here in SE Michigan, the State Troopers don't have cages in their CVPIs...and no support whatsoever as far as transports. Got a prisoner to take to the pokey? Toss your gear bag in the trunk, your "customer" will be handcuffed behind their back and seat-belted in the right front passenger seat. Heck...they should be cuffed up front so they can verify your shift's calls on the MDC and radio in that they're on their way!

Kidding aside, these public awareness campaigns are great if they have any bite. Several agencies have tried that here, either dumping them all together or once finding out the public is on to them, the smile comes off and the high performance aspects of the cars are put to use and the stats rise for the numbers of cites written in a given period.

We tried that for a while. Our aggressive drivers just figured out which shift was utilizing the PR aspect. Guess what? We're getting an un-marked, off-colored Charger to combat our traffic issues. I suspect that the map pockets won't be filled with safe driving leaflets, lollypops and free ice cream cone certificates from the local DQ...

Queen's Cowboy

Postby Queen's Cowboy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:27 pm

We used to have a Camaro and a Mustang years ago on my unit looking after the QEII Hwy. Useless in winter for obvious reasons, and as pointed out, no place to put the bad guy/girl for transport. My preference would be for an unmarked non-traditional PC. We do have a half ton that we share with other Traffic Units, amazing what you find with it !! Bad: governed at 150 kph + it is an extended cab, again no place for prisoner transport. Due for replacement, but with what ??
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a soldier.

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:32 pm

:thumbsup: The officer in the video, and his wife, also an OPP officer, are family friends!
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 am

Queen's Cowboy wrote:We used to have a Camaro and a Mustang years ago on my unit looking after the QEII Hwy. Useless in winter for obvious reasons, and as pointed out, no place to put the bad guy/girl for transport. My preference would be for an unmarked non-traditional PC. We do have a half ton that we share with other Traffic Units, amazing what you find with it !! Bad: governed at 150 kph + it is an extended cab, again no place for prisoner transport. Due for replacement, but with what ??

The local service here has a marked pickup with a cap on the back for the marine unit, and I see them with people on traffic stops all the time. Being a civilian, I'm willing to bet that people see the vehicle and think "Meh, he won't pull me over, that's just the truck they use to pull the boat..." and then probably argue with the officer that he has no jurisdiction on land! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

They have unmarked Chargers for traffic, I used to see an unmarked white Volvo years ago...of course they're also the service that had a burgundy CVPI set up to look like a taxi. That was great, too bad they blinked on that one.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:09 pm

GoodWitness wrote:...I used to see an unmarked white Volvo years ago..
They also had a marked Volvo some years back, I wonder if it got stripped down...
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:50 pm

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Halton has got some untraditional unmarked vehicles that I see from time to time. Among them are a Chevy astro van and a Pontiac Grand Prix.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.