2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
FedCO
King Poobah

Re: 2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Postby FedCO » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:13 am

Lights wrote:thats amazing, I love your guys stuff, especially the computers. Way better then ours

YRP 4 life :)

wonka1990
Veteran Member

Postby wonka1990 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Saw one of the new SUV's today with the new decals. They are basically the same, just a bit more condensed. Same colours and everything.
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:09 pm

I don't like the new Ford Interceptors. Crown Vics are better.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:52 pm

I like them to a point. The SUV is amazing, better then the death trap Tahoe lol, but the crown will always have a place in my heart. We got a new unmarked with the new lights and THANK GOD, my charger I piloted. VROOOM VROOM lol
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

wonka1990 wrote:Saw one of the new SUV's today with the new decals. They are basically the same, just a bit more condensed. Same colours and everything.
As buddy explained it to me, with the previous style the "POLICE" word was below the moulding on the door, the mud line as he called it. When the door got dirty in the winter you couldn't see the "POLICE". With everything above the moulding now that problem should be eliminated.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Bald Man wrote:I don't like the new Ford Interceptors. Crown Vics are better.

In what way?

I have driven both ...

I prefer the new Interceptor - all wheel drive is awesome in the winter, the CV's are poor winter vehicles. I also like the fact that the new interceptor has more power, and a 6 speed gearbox. The interceptor is safer, and has more features (like sync). Looks like our new interceptors are going to be better outfitted in terms of kit and lights than the Vic's were too.

The only negative thing I have to say about the interceptor is the door opening seems smaller ....

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:....
The only negative thing I have to say about the interceptor is the door opening seems smaller ....

The first Ford Interceptor Sedans that were delivered had a door opening (how much the door swings open) that was restricted by a piece of seatbelt in the door hinge. If you open the door of the sedan, and look at the hinge area, you'll see a piece of what is essentially seatbelt material below the top hinge. That is designed to relieve the stress off the hinges for when the door gets opened really hard.

In some US agencies (LAPD, for instance), they're trained to kick the door open really hard to close it in an urgent situation. I know...seems odd, but if the door is open and you're sitting in the car, you can kick the door open really hard and it'll spring back and close and latch. It's handy for "tactical withdrawls" where you need to be shifting, steering, and closing the door all at the same time, but is brutal on the door hinges. LAPD used to weld their Crown Vic hinges to the frame of the car as part of their normal upfitting process. The new sedan has that "seatbelt" thing in there to allow some spring but without ripping the door off the hinges.

People complained about the door not opening far enough (some people were actually cutting those "seat belt" pieces - which is NOT recommended!), so Ford has, on the more recent Interceptors, added another 1/2" or so to the length of the "seat belt" so the door can open I think another 8 degrees or something. It may not seem like much but it's fairly significant.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks Mark, thats interesting. Good to know!

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:
Bald Man wrote:I don't like the new Ford Interceptors. Crown Vics are better.

In what way?

I have driven both ...

I prefer the new Interceptor - all wheel drive is awesome in the winter, the CV's are poor winter vehicles. I also like the fact that the new interceptor has more power, and a 6 speed gearbox. The interceptor is safer, and has more features (like sync). Looks like our new interceptors are going to be better outfitted in terms of kit and lights than the Vic's were too.

Haha I love sync. Its in my car. Is it just there for the radio and phone etc like a regular ford or does it control any gear?

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 pm

I probably won't be trying the UI anytime soon since the MTO doesn't even have plans to consider them but I did get to drive an civilian Explorer (AWD, naturally aspirated). Drove 1100km and there was nothing about that vehicle that I didn't like.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Safety Guy wrote:I probably won't be trying the UI anytime soon since the MTO doesn't even have plans to consider them but I did get to drive an civilian Explorer (AWD, naturally aspirated). Drove 1100km and there was nothing about that vehicle that I didn't like.

I wish they would offer the 3.7L for the civi verson. Sadly only 3.5 or eco 4 banger. But they did just release the 3.5 Eco boost v6 for Sport trim. Still i love that 3.7L being used in the UI.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:40 am

FedCO wrote:
Safety Guy wrote:I probably won't be trying the UI anytime soon since the MTO doesn't even have plans to consider them but I did get to drive an civilian Explorer (AWD, naturally aspirated). Drove 1100km and there was nothing about that vehicle that I didn't like.

I wish they would offer the 3.7L for the civi verson. Sadly only 3.5 or eco 4 banger. But they did just release the 3.5 Eco boost v6 for Sport trim. Still i love that 3.7L being used in the UI.

I'd love to try the UI for work. All we have now are Impalas (some police package and some not) and F150s and the Explorer outperformed both in every aspect. I was even really impressed with fuel consumption. I had an overall mileage of about 11L per 100km (mostly highway but still 2 or 3 hours in Toronto rush hour traffic)
I'd buy one, I wish the MTO did too!!!
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:11 am

Whistler wrote:
Haha I love sync. Its in my car. Is it just there for the radio and phone etc like a regular ford or does it control any gear?

You can sync up to 5 cell phones, so the one issued to the car + your personal phone is no problem. The lights, police radio etc are not connected.

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:
Whistler wrote:

You can sync up to 5 cell phones, so the one issued to the car + your personal phone is no problem. The lights, police radio etc are not connected.

Probably for the better...

"Activate red lights"

Sync: "playing artist Rod Stewart"

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Whistler wrote:
Alberta Blue wrote:
Whistler wrote:

Probably for the better...

"Activate red lights"

Sync: "playing artist Rod Stewart"

LOL