2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
Safety Guy

Re: 2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Postby Safety Guy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 am

Whistler22 wrote:They should have changed the name to Cougar platform because it was old enough to be a MILF.

You would do what to a car??? You're one sick dude.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Lights wrote:I agree with you, I have driven both the interceptors. The SUV is great. It’s a lot better and safer to drive then the Tahoe.

The sedan is good and preforms great but I have issues with the blind spot problems.

The charger in my opinion is the best. I would have liked to see the AWD system in it for the winter driving aspect along with the hemi. That’s just me.

Mr. Lights. I can call you that because we're friends :mrgreen: Can you elaborate on why you feel the Tahoe isn't safe? Are you referring to the PPV or the 4WD model? I've got 14,000 miles in a '12 and just rolled over 500 on my assigned '13 PPV. I really like the handling. It's actually confidence-inspiring compared to my CVPI...and I thought I loved that car. Not picking on you...just curious about how you perceive the Interceptor SUV's seat-of-the pants compared to the PPV. I'm curious. I'm seeing a few Ford SUV's around but have yet to drive one.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm

lndshark wrote:
Lights wrote:I agree with you, I have driven both the interceptors. The SUV is great. It’s a lot better and safer to drive then the Tahoe.

The sedan is good and preforms great but I have issues with the blind spot problems.

The charger in my opinion is the best. I would have liked to see the AWD system in it for the winter driving aspect along with the hemi. That’s just me.

Mr. Lights. I can call you that because we're friends :mrgreen: Can you elaborate on why you feel the Tahoe isn't safe? Are you referring to the PPV or the 4WD model? I've got 14,000 miles in a '12 and just rolled over 500 on my assigned '13 PPV. I really like the handling. It's actually confidence-inspiring compared to my CVPI...and I thought I loved that car. Not picking on you...just curious about how you perceive the Interceptor SUV's seat-of-the pants compared to the PPV. I'm curious. I'm seeing a few Ford SUV's around but have yet to drive one.

Pfff your totally picking on me lol jk

The reason why I find it not as safe is because the 2WD Tahoe’s that we have are light in the rear, unless you have a lot of kit and equipment like some units have to have with them.

I don’t know what set up you have in yours but with ours it feels like the rear is going to come around on you in some instances.

When going to an emergency call you have to watch your speed because stopping isn’t the best and because of its size it can get shaky. In wet weather it’s horrible.

I had it out during a snow storm, and almost had a couple depends moments. I can see it handling well during optimal conditions in city driving but on a hwy, in bad weather I don’t like it at all.

Also with the cage and blind spots make visibility a bit difficult sometimes.

I’m not sure if we have many AWD versions because of the pursuit rating but I can be wrong.

The interceptor personally preforms very well, aside from the fact it’s a smaller motor. I feel very stable at various speeds and the handling is amazing. Plus, given the winter we just had the AWD is great.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Lights wrote:
lndshark wrote:

Pfff your totally picking on me lol jk

The reason why I find it not as safe is because the 2WD Tahoe’s that we have are light in the rear, unless you have a lot of kit and equipment like some units have to have with them.

I don’t know what set up you have in yours but with ours it feels like the rear is going to come around on you in some instances.

When going to an emergency call you have to watch your speed because stopping isn’t the best and because of its size it can get shaky. In wet weather it’s horrible.

I had it out during a snow storm, and almost had a couple depends moments. I can see it handling well during optimal conditions in city driving but on a hwy, in bad weather I don’t like it at all.

Also with the cage and blind spots make visibility a bit difficult sometimes.

I’m not sure if we have many AWD versions because of the pursuit rating but I can be wrong.

The interceptor personally preforms very well, aside from the fact it’s a smaller motor. I feel very stable at various speeds and the handling is amazing. Plus, given the winter we just had the AWD is great.

Ya only the SSV have full time auto 4x4 and are not pursuit ready. But some agencies still use them for ERT,K9 etc. I like them but hope GM brings AWD to the 2wd PPV model.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Well, from what I heard, K Div Traffic is going to the pursuit rated Tahoe.

Should be interesting.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 am

Again it’s just my personal view on it, don’t get me wrong the Tahoe is a bad ass vehicle just not something I want to be in during a pursuit.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Sierra1 wrote:In fairness, you should know that the VicPD Ford Utilities had a large secure shelving unit in the rear. It stored operationally necessary equipment and added about 500 lbs to the extreme rear of the vehicle. This moved the centre of gravity rearward and dramatically increased the already poor driving characteristics associated with all FWD vehicles.

I'm sure it's a fine vehicle for picking up the groceries or just driving around aimlessly, but if you need to transport people and heavy kit in emergency conditions... look someplace else.

So, you are a member with VicPD?

HTP
Rookie Member

Postby HTP » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 am

I drove PPV Tahoe for a bit and I liked, I had a lot of weight in the back, so it handled nice. I 'm drivng a 2013 interceptor utility now, I would rather have the tahoe, I liked the room in it
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 am

I've driven the Tahoe, and the Interceptor Utility...

I much prefer the Utility, and I'm a fan of space because I'm very tall.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 pm

argyll wrote:
Toonces wrote:I've driven the Tahoe, and the Interceptor Utility...

I much prefer the Utility, and I'm a fan of space because I'm very tall.

7'6" ??

Um, not quite. I'm over 5'11" but under 6'5".
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

CBK

Postby CBK » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Ford Recall on 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan and Utility.

"Ford is recalling about 465,000 cars and SUVs because the fuel tanks can leak and cause fires, including 23,000 in Canada.

The global recall affects the Ford brand’s Fusion, Explorer, Taurus, Flex, Police Utility and Police Interceptor.

Also covered are the Lincoln MKS, MKT and MKZ. All the vehicles are from the 2013 model year.

Ford says a connector from the fuel tank to the fuel line is the source of the leak. Customers could smell gas or see a leak on the ground.

The company says no fires or crashes have been reported because of the problem.

Dealers will replace the fuel delivery module, which includes the connector, a Ford spokeswoman said."

Mine just arrived at the dealership late last week. Hope this isn't the start of an ongoing list of issues to come!

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:54 pm

CBK wrote:Ford Recall on 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan and Utility.

"Ford is recalling about 465,000 cars and SUVs because the fuel tanks can leak and cause fires, including 23,000 in Canada.

The global recall affects the Ford brand’s Fusion, Explorer, Taurus, Flex, Police Utility and Police Interceptor.

Also covered are the Lincoln MKS, MKT and MKZ. All the vehicles are from the 2013 model year.

Ford says a connector from the fuel tank to the fuel line is the source of the leak. Customers could smell gas or see a leak on the ground.

The company says no fires or crashes have been reported because of the problem.

Dealers will replace the fuel delivery module, which includes the connector, a Ford spokeswoman said."

Mine just arrived at the dealership late last week. Hope this isn't the start of an ongoing list of issues to come!

Brand new models are bound to have small issues like this. At least they issued a recall and will repair the vehicles at their own expense. Vehicles are so complicated these days that it is rare that everything works as it is supposed to on brand new models.

CBK

Postby CBK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am

I hear you Alberta Blue. As far as I know this is the 1st issue that the new Interceptors have had. I have only heard good things about them and just hope it stays that way :lol:

Braddock54
Rookie Member

Postby Braddock54 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:36 am

Our office is offloading our CVPI for one of these Utlities....our other vehicle is. 2011 2500HD and I hate driving it. Drives like a brick on four marshmallows.

I assume the big red machine did not spring for Sync? I was looking forward to a USB port! Not sure if its an option but i stuck my head in an interceptor waiting to get kitted out and the interior looked decently outfitted. USB - check.

How is the get up and go? Interior room? Handling? How is the AWD in snow and ice?