2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.

mark y
Rookie Member

Re: 2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Postby mark y » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for posting. Those UI's look really nice.

Cool pic of the robotic assembly line, too!

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Only one person ever looked badass driving a Taurus based police cruiser

HPSunit316
Rookie Member

Postby HPSunit316 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 pm

mark y wrote:Thanks for posting. Those UI's look really nice.

Cool pic of the robotic assembly line, too!

your welcome.

HPSunit316
Rookie Member

Postby HPSunit316 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:57 pm

48highlander wrote:Only one person ever looked badass driving a Taurus based police cruiser

Every P-O will look badass.... these units are going to be a hit.

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 am

Can't wait to get one of those Ecoboosted ones second hand for a few grand in a couple years!

It's going to create a whole new generation of SHO enthusiasts who could never afford the current civi model!

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am

HPSunit316 wrote:
48highlander wrote:Only one person ever looked badass driving a Taurus based police cruiser

Not likely.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 am

basketcase wrote:
HPSunit316 wrote:

Not likely.

I agree. Not likely. They're too small for most purposes, though RCMP is getting a bunch (though they are primarily one-man cars).

However, there seems to be a number of agencies getting the U.I. in the next month two. That one seems to be popular, but they're pricy - nearly $40K minus some fleet discounts.

HoboWithAShotgun
Veteran Member

Postby HoboWithAShotgun » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 pm

These cars remind me too much of my Camry.. Theres no way you can ride dirty in that junk..

davejames86
Seasoned Member

Postby davejames86 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

My big concern is the width for the interior. I'm a somewhat wide fit guy and I sometimes have trouble getting properly fitted in the CVPI depending on where the MDT is placed. Since the width in the Taurus is smaller and Ford is saying you can take existing equipment and just put it right where you had it before, I'm quite concerned about interior room. Yeah he RCMP uses primarily one person cars, but we do have auxiliaries, ride alongs and partners from time to time. I'd just like to be relatively comfortable during my 12 hour shift if I can.

Also, how many RCMP vehicles will have the AWD system? I remember reading somewhere on here before that the AWD is now standard and the FWD is a delete option now with these cars. I could be mistaken though...
Your heart is where your duty lies. Your head is just along to help with the driving.
KCCO

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:59 pm

davejames86 wrote:My big concern is the width for the interior. I'm a somewhat wide fit guy and I sometimes have trouble getting properly fitted in the CVPI depending on where the MDT is placed. Since the width in the Taurus is smaller and Ford is saying you can take existing equipment and just put it right where you had it before, I'm quite concerned about interior room. Yeah he RCMP uses primarily one person cars, but we do have auxiliaries, ride alongs and partners from time to time. I'd just like to be relatively comfortable during my 12 hour shift if I can.

Also, how many RCMP vehicles will have the AWD system? I remember reading somewhere on here before that the AWD is now standard and the FWD is a delete option now with these cars. I could be mistaken though...

The NGPI ("Taurus") is smaller across than the Crown Vic. I have a Crown Vic and I've sat in the NGPI a few times (though not recently). Ford says that the distance between the seats is the same as the CV, and that's about it. Meaning, you can take the console from your CV and it'll physically fit into the NGPI. Not really that big a deal as all the other equipment, MDT mounting, and other stuff will have to change anyway.

As far as room, though, I would say that the NGPI is smaller than the CV. The good news is that E Div is only getting 2 NGPI's, and not anytime soon, (they still have 200+ CVs to outfit), so you won't need to worry about this for a year or so at least.

I thought RCMP is buying the AWD version, but don't quote me on that. You're correct that for both the sedan and SUV, the AWD is standard or you can 'downgrade' to FWD which saves a couple thousand dollars. For RCMP, I believe the Impala is the "approved" FWD car, the Charger is the "approved" RWD car, and the NGPI is the approved AWD car. The Tahoe is the approved RWD SUV, and the Ford UI is the approved AWD SUV.

davejames86
Seasoned Member

Postby davejames86 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:38 pm

mark y wrote:
davejames86 wrote:My big concern is the width for the interior. I'm a somewhat wide fit guy and I sometimes have trouble getting properly fitted in the CVPI depending on where the MDT is placed. Since the width in the Taurus is smaller and Ford is saying you can take existing equipment and just put it right where you had it before, I'm quite concerned about interior room. Yeah he RCMP uses primarily one person cars, but we do have auxiliaries, ride alongs and partners from time to time. I'd just like to be relatively comfortable during my 12 hour shift if I can.

The NGPI ("Taurus") is smaller across than the Crown Vic. I have a Crown Vic and I've sat in the NGPI a few times (though not recently). Ford says that the distance between the seats is the same as the CV, and that's about it. Meaning, you can take the console from your CV and it'll physically fit into the NGPI. Not really that big a deal as all the other equipment, MDT mounting, and other stuff will have to change anyway.

As far as room, though, I would say that the NGPI is smaller than the CV. The good news is that E Div is only getting 2 NGPI's, and not anytime soon, (they still have 200+ CVs to outfit), so you won't need to worry about this for a year or so at least.

I thought RCMP is buying the AWD version, but don't quote me on that. You're correct that for both the sedan and SUV, the AWD is standard or you can 'downgrade' to FWD which saves a couple thousand dollars. For RCMP, I believe the Impala is the "approved" FWD car, the Charger is the "approved" RWD car, and the NGPI is the approved AWD car. The Tahoe is the approved RWD SUV, and the Ford UI is the approved AWD SUV.

I just haven't heard which model the RCMP is going with, hence why I was wondering about it. I just suspected the RCMP would downgrade to the AWD system to save a little coin. If they are going with the AWD version, then I'm happy to hear it. I talk to our fleet manager from time to time about the new vehicles coming in and she hasn't heard much about what the RCMP is going with.
Your heart is where your duty lies. Your head is just along to help with the driving.
KCCO

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:53 pm

I think I saw a 2013 Taurus on the highway the other day. I was a little distracted and wasn't paying that much attention to the oncoming cars, but just at the last second I looked over and saw a white Taurus but with a really big black grille and the norrower headlights. It also had rather large rims that were mostly black. It could have even been a PI but I'm not sure. The new SHOs have mostly black "flower petal" rims too. I didn't notice a spoiler on it though when I looked in the rearview so methinks it could have been a PI with the steel rims, if infact it was a 2013 lol.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:18 pm

davejames86 wrote:I just haven't heard which model the RCMP is going with, hence why I was wondering about it. I just suspected the RCMP would downgrade to the AWD system to save a little coin. If they are going with the AWD version, then I'm happy to hear it. I talk to our fleet manager from time to time about the new vehicles coming in and she hasn't heard much about what the RCMP is going with.

I'm 99% sure the RCMP is buying the AWD version.

Cambo
Veteran Member

Postby Cambo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 am

mark y wrote:I'm 99% sure the RCMP is buying the AWD version.

That's good at least. So that means we get the ecoboost right? That's a pretty sweet motor. I almost bought an f-150 because of the new ecoboost, but then I came to my senses and bought another Ram.
A people that values it's privileges above it's principles soon loses both
- Dwight Eisenhower

"Were you born stupid or did you pick that up along the way?"