TPS stocks up on 300 cruisers

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
ThinBlueLine
Rookie Member

Re: TPS stocks up on 300 cruisers

Postby ThinBlueLine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 am

There are lots of huge sheriffs offices in the states that easily double or triple some of our largest services. Broward County SO for example. Obviously something that would have to be gradually phased in etc. not that any dept up here would venture out and try it regardless of the savings. Seems they're always too worried about public perception or calling it a taxable benifit and so forth.....

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 am

basketcase wrote:OPP has enough Crown Vic's to last until September-ish. After that we're doing foot patrol.

A member around here said you guys are ditching the Tahoe. Sounds like both versions of the new Ford will be seen in black and white.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:44 am

News to me about the Tahoe.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:45 am

Said something about terrible in the snow. Might have been entirely based on personal opinion though... I've never driven one.

davejames86
Seasoned Member

Postby davejames86 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Depends on the Tahoe. The Sgt in our GD section has a RWD pursuit rated version that sucks in the snow. The AWD version used by other members in GD works pretty damn well in the snow. Mind you, it has to be switched to AWD high or AWD low for it to engage...
Your heart is where your duty lies. Your head is just along to help with the driving.
KCCO

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Fairly certain the OPP uses RWD Tahoes for general duty patrol, which would explain why they suck in the snow I suppose.

Like I said, haven't driven one myself.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:17 pm

SierraSeven wrote:
basketcase wrote:OPP has enough Crown Vic's to last until September-ish. After that we're doing foot patrol.

A member around here said you guys are ditching the Tahoe. Sounds like both versions of the new Ford will be seen in black and white.

correct, our whole branch was told at association meeting, Tahoe is not even in picture anymore for us
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

HwyBear wrote:
SierraSeven wrote:

correct, our whole branch was told at association meeting, Tahoe is not even in picture anymore for us

Any word on whether they are looking to replace it with something else (most likely the Explorer PI) or get rid of SUVs altogether?

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Same member that told me they were no longer going to be using the Tahoe said they'd be using the Ford Explorer. I'm assuming that he meant the Utility Police Interceptor.

HPSunit316
Rookie Member

Postby HPSunit316 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm

I was at the 2012 Toronto International auto show today

Toronto Had a Exhibit there with a couple cars, One of them was a 2009 with 200kms

like what?? saying that they might not see the new interceptor till there crown vics are done.