TPS stocks up on 300 cruisers

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: TPS stocks up on 300 cruisers

Postby 48highlander » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 am

smarmy_rebel wrote:
Hah, at first I thought you were going to make the point that it would be safer to leave them up on the roof :P But that was good too.

Doesn't that second picture just make you want to run up and rip those ski masks off one of those guys?

No, my reaction was (when I heard about this shit while I was oversea) and still is, fly these punks over to a place like, Afghanistan, Syria, Saudia Arabia, etc. and see them try to pull stunts like this.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:40 am

Naw, just round them all up and make them do the thousands of hours of community service equivalent to the replacement value of the vehicles they destroyed, and all of the other private property they wrecked / looted / liberated.

Make them pay, in time or dollars, for what they so selfishly thought was theirs to ruin.

The lesson will be lost on them, of course, being spoiled narcissistic brats, the lot of them. Achieving true social change does not involve complete anarchy, but achieving true social change was never their aim. They came out prepared to burn and pillage, and I for one was glad to see you guys and gals out there in force, prepared to deal with these numpties.

I always found it ironic that it was one of the TAVIS vehicles that was done in by violence. :smirk:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 pm

48highlander wrote:
smarmy_rebel wrote:
Hah, at first I thought you were going to make the point that it would be safer to leave them up on the roof :P But that was good too.

Doesn't that second picture just make you want to run up and rip those ski masks off one of those guys?

No, my reaction was (when I heard about this shit while I was oversea) and still is, fly these punks over to a place like, Afghanistan, Syria, Saudia Arabia, etc. and see them try to pull stunts like this.

Well it bugs me way more that they had to hide behind their masks in order to do this. If they were burning it because they thought they were fighting for a just cause, then fine... But have the balls to do it without the masks.

The masks just mean they had all that shit planned in advance.

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am

mark y wrote:They have 1 of each that were donated for school liaiason, etc. Sloppy reporting - makes it sound like that's all they drive out west.

I wonder how TPS addressed the warranty. By the time the cars go into service, they'll be out of warranty, no? Isn't it a 3 year, 150,000km warranty (whichever comes first)?

When you have 299 spares you're probably not worried about a warranty.

Fords are some of the easiest cars to maintain, TPS has their own tows and mechanics, and the cars have a short life expectancy anyway. Plus with so many cars, you have so many spare parts - not that there is a shortage of parts or used/scrap Police Interceptors.
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:18 pm

We will be good with cars until around 2020 with all the spare parts to choose from.

My current car is friggin' old......like really old, but it works and gets the job done.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:48 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Naw, just round them all up and make them do the thousands of hours of community service equivalent to the replacement value of the vehicles they destroyed, and all of the other private property they wrecked / looted / liberated.

Make them pay, in time or dollars, for what they so selfishly thought was theirs to ruin.

The lesson will be lost on them, of course, being spoiled narcissistic brats, the lot of them. Achieving true social change does not involve complete anarchy, but achieving true social change was never their aim. They came out prepared to burn and pillage, and I for one was glad to see you guys and gals out there in force, prepared to deal with these numpties.

I always found it ironic that it was one of the TAVIS vehicles that was done in by violence. :smirk:

It would be, and you would be taking work (either paid of volunteer) away from people who actually want to be there.
K division.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:49 am

mark y wrote:I wonder how TPS addressed the warranty. By the time the cars go into service, they'll be out of warranty, no? Isn't it a 3 year, 150,000km warranty (whichever comes first)?

Maybe the warranty doesn't start until the car is actually registered and put into service? Certainly a vehicle doesn't eat warranty time while it sits on a dealer's lot either. The RCMP is equally slow at putting cars into service, and I don't think we've had issues with the warranty either. That being said, hardly anything goes wrong in these cars anyway. In the early 2000s we went through a lot of transmissions it seemed, but the newer cars are much better.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

ThinBlueLine
Rookie Member

Postby ThinBlueLine » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 am

Prob not something you'd wanna try in a place as big as Toronto but look to the south where they have "take home" cars issued. Not that any of us would likely want it in our driveway but think of the dough they save the tax payers....plus they hang onto the cars longer because guys n gals take better care of them based on a sense of ownership....no more McD's wrappers to discover at start of shift!

Interesting article from a US FOP lodge:

http://www.fop.net/programs/research/takehomecars.pdf

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm

ThinBlueLine wrote:Prob not something you'd wanna try in a place as big as Toronto but look to the south where they have "take home" cars issued. Not that any of us would likely want it in our driveway but think of the dough they save the tax payers....plus they hang onto the cars longer because guys n gals take better care of them based on a sense of ownership....no more McD's wrappers to discover at start of shift!

Agency's here do not have enough cars for every officer to take one home. My local service has over 1700 sworn members and I think the last report I read stated they had around 350 marked vehicles.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Force Recon wrote:
ThinBlueLine wrote:Prob not something you'd wanna try in a place as big as Toronto but look to the south where they have "take home" cars issued. Not that any of us would likely want it in our driveway but think of the dough they save the tax payers....plus they hang onto the cars longer because guys n gals take better care of them based on a sense of ownership....no more McD's wrappers to discover at start of shift!

Agency's here do not have enough cars for every officer to take one home. My local service has over 1700 sworn members and I think the last report I read stated they had around 350 marked vehicles.

I did some searching and on a few sites and there is newer stats on take home cruisers from 2004, the department had 260 members each having a car saved 1.5million a year.....now 1000 cars = 6 million savings a year in 2004, surely 8yrs later those savings would be that much more...something in these economic times should be looked at!
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm

And can you tell me why CBSA would even have a need to offer a take home car to their members?

I mean, that would tell the bad guys who you are even without a name badge.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

HPSunit316
Rookie Member

Postby HPSunit316 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 pm

park the unit in the Garage??

my 1 buddy does that with his K-9 unit

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

HPSunit316 wrote:park the unit in the Garage??

my 1 buddy does that with his K-9 unit

What about for the people who don't have garages? Buy a tarp?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Camo netting. The neighbours will just think you really like shrubs.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 am

OPP has enough Crown Vic's to last until September-ish. After that we're doing foot patrol.
OFFICER OF THE LAW