TPS stocks up on 300 cruisers

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
48highlander
Rookie Member

TPS stocks up on 300 cruisers

Postby 48highlander » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:08 pm

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/22/to ... n-cruisers

With Ford’s decision to cancel production of full-size Crown Victorias, Toronto Police filled a rooftop with enough of the cars to last up to three years.

The 300 cruisers cost about $5 million, but the bulk purchase saved taxpayers $1.5 million, according to Const. Tony Vella.

Built only in St. Thomas until production stopped last September, the last North American rear-wheel-drive V-8s were “found to suit our purposes,” Vella said.

Once available privately, “Crown Vics” were produced exclusively for fleet orders in recent years.

Most cruisers were branded “Police Interceptor,” with heavier-duty engines, transmissions and electrical systems, plus revamped steering and rear suspensions.

Big patrol cars were once common, including the Dodge Diplomat, Ford Galaxie, and Chevrolet Caprice.

Toronto Police last bought Caprices in the late 1980s. General Motors stopped producing them in 1996.

Except for special squads that use SUVs and vans, plus tests with other vehicles including mid-size Chevrolet Impalas, Crown Victorias remain Toronto’s patrol car of choice.

The stockpiled white Crowns on the roof of the Traffic Services building in Liberty Village will eventually replace old cruisers. Until then, they are checked and started periodically.

Cop cruisers typically last up to three years before they’re stripped of equipment and sold.

The OPP uses Crown Victorias and SUVs while regional forces have a variety of North American vehicles.

There have been alternatives to the big gas-guzzlers, but smaller GM and Chrysler four-door cars left some officers complaining about gear-jammed interiors, low ceilings, front-wheel drive handling and restricted visibility.

Since Ford’s 2009 announcement of the Crown Vic’s demise, fierce competition began for cruiser markets.

General Motors reprised an old brand in 2010 when it unveiled a V-8 patrol car. Made in Australia starting last year, the new Caprice bears a close resemblance to the GM-related Holden Commodore.

Some U.S. forces ordered the 2011 Holden Statesman. The RCMP use Jaguars and Land Rovers in B.C.

In mid-2010, Chrysler unveiled a 2011 Charger Pursuit, available with V-6 or V-8 motors. Many North American forces use Dodge Magnums and low-slung Chargers.

Pete Broccolo

Re: TPS stocks up on 300 cruisers

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm

"...The RCMP use Jaguars and Land Rovers in B.C...."

For GD?! DARE, School Resource, and other candy-a s s sections, maybe; please tell me that "E" Div is not THAT a s s i n i n e to put these type of vehicles into service for REAL work?!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:10 am

They have 1 of each that were donated for school liaiason, etc. Sloppy reporting - makes it sound like that's all they drive out west.

I wonder how TPS addressed the warranty. By the time the cars go into service, they'll be out of warranty, no? Isn't it a 3 year, 150,000km warranty (whichever comes first)?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:35 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:
mark y wrote:They have 1 of each that were donated for school liaiason, etc. Sloppy reporting - makes it sound like that's all they drive out west.

I wonder how TPS addressed the warranty. By the time the cars go into service, they'll be out of warranty, no? Isn't it a 3 year, 150,000km warranty (whichever comes first)?

I bet they managed to get an extension or some kind of coverage with the size of order they placed.

Doubt it. The OPP bought far more than 300 of them and we have to deal with it.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:14 pm

What happens to a car after its sat on a roof for 3 years?

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm

I can't imagine it's a good idea. Vehicles deteriorate when they are parked. Rodents eat wires and upholstery, metal bits corrode, tires go to crap....if it's sat outside for three years I cannot believe it'll behave like a new vehicle.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 am

GPZ wrote:I can't imagine it's a good idea. Vehicles deteriorate when they are parked. Rodents eat wires and upholstery, metal bits corrode, tires go to crap....if it's sat outside for three years I cannot believe it'll behave like a new vehicle.

Ford actually has storage instructions in their manual. You're supposed to keep the tires at 80psi or something, move the car every couple months, let the engine warm up every few months to burn out condensation. However, no one I know does any of that.

The Ford OEM batteries are bad enough in a brand new car. I would suspect that after a few years they're going to be garbage and will need to be replaced before the car can go into service.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm

When I was at TSV a few years back, there was a bunch of CV's stored on top there ready for new issue when we went to the new Grey Hound Bus stripes.

They got moved on a regular basis as well as washed.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Starting up and moving around a dozen or so vehicles each week. Sounds like a good job for Aux.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Also, if they are up on a roof, they are going to be exposed to the intense sun/UV rays every day plus rain and snow and hail and bird crap etc. Someone is going to have to wash them fairly regularly too. I imagine it gets pretty hot up on a roof in August too!

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Naw, just host another G20 summit or three....

Those pesky Black Bloc ninjas should work through that inventory post-haste! :smirk:

It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:29 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Naw, just host another G20 summit or three....

Those pesky Black Bloc ninjas should work through that inventory post-haste! :smirk:

LMAO not cool but the way you wrote that was hilarious.

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:53 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Naw, just host another G20 summit or three....

Hah, at first I thought you were going to make the point that it would be safer to leave them up on the roof :P But that was good too.

Doesn't that second picture just make you want to run up and rip those ski masks off one of those guys?