Dodge Charger Review

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
Bigslow
Rookie Member

Dodge Charger Review

Postby Bigslow » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:20 am

mark y
Rookie Member

Re: Dodge Charger Review

Postby mark y » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Not really much of a review.

Comments like this; "The officers like the plexiglass grills on the inside of the rear windows (the Vic’s windows are continually being kicked out), plus the back windows open in the Charger, allowing ventilation, which the lads think would be a good thing. " - well, that's because the Crown Vics the PD bought didn't get outfitted with the window bars/plexi, and the Dodge has. That's not unique to the Charger. Same thing with the rear windows going down - someone had modified the CV to disable the rear windows. In stock form, they roll down.

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 am

Nice looking car. Of course he had to park it in front of a donut shop :banghead: .

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Whistler wrote:Nice looking car.

Victoria has about a dozen Chargers now and they seem to like them. The 2011's are really nice looking and constantly get people coming up to the officers and commenting on how good the cars look.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:11 pm

How are they work wise so far? Enough room inside, handles the job well?

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am

Matt_YRP wrote:How are they work wise so far? Enough room inside, handles the job well?

Yep. They really like them. The only thing that was problematic (and this will be the case with any new car) was that the laptops wouldn't fit up front with any reasonable room for 2 officers (VicPD primarily runs 2-man cars). We came up with a solution for them that puts a separate touchscreen and separate keyboard up front in a bracket, and it works pretty well.

They haven't had any systemic reliablity issues with them. The usual stuff, but nothing major. The 2010's were a bit of a pain and generated complaints from members re: rear visibility, etc. The 2011's are much better though (still not fantastic) since Dodge redesigned a bunch of parts in the 'greenhouse' to give better visibility to the rear and rear-side areas.

The shifter takes some getting used to, but I don't hear any complaints about it any more.

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Whistler wrote:Nice looking car. Of course he had to park it in front of a donut shop :banghead: .

Why would they do a photo of the car like that?

:crazy:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Well duh, his Officer friend's name is Tim Horton... didn't you read the article? :twitch:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:Well duh, his Officer friend's name is Tim Horton... didn't you read the article? :twitch:

Yes, but I can't fathom why they would agree to have the picture taking there... whether it was "anonymous" or not... Still feeds the old stereotype.

Either way, it's still a mean looking piece of equipment...
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

markbovaird
Rookie Member

Postby markbovaird » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 am

Im driving the 11 charger and i have to say that it is very roomy up front, the MWS is not bad either, although I did like that the old lap tops, when closed were great for writing on. The only complaint about the charger is that the bottom end ( gearing) needs alot of work as it has horrible get up and go. Getting the shotgun out in a hurry can be a bit of a challenge also. Rumor has it though that they are going to discontinue as a PC because the US police services are dropping tranys like crazy.
Cheers
liven the dream in northen Alberta

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:48 am

I read the review and was surprised to read that so many 'hate' the Crown Vic...

I love my Crown Vic and don't like driving anything else. Of course, my service outfits our 'Vics with winter tires, which probably help somewhat...
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Yeah, "hate" the Crown Vic. :roll: The only car that has been worth using?

Because what I am looking for is a car that looks "downright nasty".

If it doesn't fit me and a partner in the front seat with all the rest of the gear, I don't want it.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

cmgf
Rookie Member

Postby cmgf » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:56 am

We have both a 2010 Charger and a 2011 Charger. The big guys hated the '10 due to visibility and shoulder room inside. The '11 replaced our Crown Vic and the big guys are not minding the room within the '11 now.

The only issue that we've had has been all the new fancy keyless entry options. We've had to replace one door handle on warranty already because it wasn't reacting when the fob was close by and unlocking when touched. Also Dodge told us that when you exit the car with it running, it should only be able to travel a few feet without the key fob inside before powering off...this hasn't been the case when we tested it and the car ran fine without the fob inside.

But with those negatives the car's been on the road for 6 months now and knock wood its overall been a good experience.

CF

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 am

markbovaird wrote: Rumor has it though that they are going to discontinue as a PC because the US police services are dropping tranys like crazy.
Cheers

Who is "they"?

markbovaird
Rookie Member

Postby markbovaird » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:47 pm

mark y wrote:
markbovaird wrote: Rumor has it though that they are going to discontinue as a PC because the US police services are dropping tranys like crazy.
Cheers

Who is "they"?

Police services in general U.S. and Canada, that was the talk at the office, although I did say rumor not fact
liven the dream in northen Alberta