Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
scairns
Rookie Member

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby scairns » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm

AHP309 wrote:
Maximum_Mu wrote:Vancouver PD had a full time unit if I remember correctly, truck , portable scales and all. Always had two traffic guys in it.

They have 4 traffic members doing CVE (including taxi's and limo's). Last I heard they were the only municipal police service in BC with a CVE unit.

I saw Delta PD a few years ago doing an inspection. http://policecanada.org/policeca/bc/del ... DBC034.jpg

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:55 am

scairns wrote:I saw Delta PD a few years ago doing an inspection.

http://policecanada.org/policeca/bc/del ... DBC034.jpg

You are correct, I see on the Delta Police website that they have 2 dedicated CVE traffic members.

(I guess VPD needs to change their website....."Vancouver remains the only police department in B.C. that has a dedicated commercial vehicle enforcement team.")

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:41 pm

AHP309 wrote:Not all officers doing Commercial Vehicle Enforcement are CVSA certified. CVSA is just a policy , not legislation, and you sure don't need CVSA certification to enforce the major issues that contribute to most of the serious CVE collisions (Driver error and Fatigue), as well as infrastructure protection.

Absolutely true.

However, very few non-CVSA certified cops have much interest in doing the minutiae of commercial vehicle enforcement. There's a lot to know with respect to hours of service, weights/dimensions, permits, mechanical defects etc. not to mention dangerous goods, and most patrol officers are acutely aware that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Mongo wrote:
AHP309 wrote:Not all officers doing Commercial Vehicle Enforcement are CVSA certified. CVSA is just a policy , not legislation, and you sure don't need CVSA certification to enforce the major issues that contribute to most of the serious CVE collisions (Driver error and Fatigue), as well as infrastructure protection.

Absolutely true.

However, very few non-CVSA certified cops have much interest in doing the minutiae of commercial vehicle enforcement. There's a lot to know with respect to hours of service, weights/dimensions, permits, mechanical defects etc. not to mention dangerous goods, and most patrol officers are acutely aware that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Yep. One of the very first projects I was on after I got to Weyburn HP was to work with SH&I - TCB - HTP at the Estevan weigh scale station. There was me and the one Estevan HP member, and basically we just stood around watching these guys, plus chased one or 2 by-passers that we turned around & brought back in.

Then there were all those stupid check points we ran outside of Regina the first few years my Unit was considered Region TS - say what you want about it, but I much preferred 1, 2, 4, 3, 6 (then....5) of RSV2010 over this crap! Not an equipment guy, not a log book guy, not a weights guy - good for those that are, though, not looking down my nose by any means, its gotta be done. Same with that birth-control-device on most PV dashboards or those thingys for doing laser-eye-surgery!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:Yep. One of the very first projects I was on after I got to Weyburn HP was to work with SH&I - TCB - HTP at the Estevan weigh scale station.

Then there were all those stupid check points we ran outside of Regina the first few years my Unit was considered Region TS - say what you want about it, but I much preferred 1, 2, 4, 3, 6 (then....5) of RSV2010 over this crap!

Mmm hmm. Right.

I like reading your posts, Pete, but I'm just never quite sure what the hell it is you're talking about.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Mongo wrote:

Absolutely true.

Thats the impression I had as well.

I also imagine that just about every non-police CVE officer would be CVSA certified since its usually listed in the job requirements (the ability to get CVSA certification) of just about every posting I've read for commercial vehicle enforcement.
Last edited by Whistler on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:59 pm

AHP309 wrote:
Whistler wrote:In the US it varies state by state... Some states have CVE as part of the state police, some have it as part of the DoT, and some have it as a separate agency which is a state police agency, but separate from the actual state police (if that makes sense). At the end of the day it doesn't really matter since any CVE officer in North America is trained to do the same CVSA inspection no matter what agency they work for or jurisdiction they are located.

In Canada as most of us know most provinces have a specific agency dealing with CVE (Alberta CVEB, BC CVSE, Ontario MTO, Sask HTP, etc), as well as CVSA trained coppers at all levels of police (muni, provincial, RCMP).

For what its worth the last time the Ontario Auditor General did a report on commercial vehicle enforcement (2008 I think?), about 97% of CVSA inspections in the province were done by MTO officers either at inspection stations or on patrol, with about 3% done by policing agencies who have CVSA trained officers.

Alberta also has many County/Municipal District/City Peace Officers trained to do CVE.

Not all officers doing Commercial Vehicle Enforcement are CVSA certified. CVSA is just a policy , not legislation, and you sure don't need CVSA certification to enforce the major issues that contribute to most of the serious CVE collisions (Driver error and Fatigue), as well as infrastructure protection.

Very true, sorry I didn't mean to imply that CVSA was the only aspect of commercial vehicle enforcement... Just from what I've seen it is a core component in the job of CVE officers in just about every jurisdiction.

And even the actual provincial/federal legislation and regulations are hefty to the point that it takes a good level of knowledge and experience to deal with them on a daily basis. IE someone could know the Ontario HTA inside and out on the rules of the road and equipment stuff but still not be fully versed in weights and measures, dimensions, hours of service regs, or the plethora of Federal laws relating to the transport of goods and passengers, if they aren't dealing with it on a daily basis.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Mongo wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:Yep. One of the very first projects I was on after I got to Weyburn HP was to work with SH&I - TCB - HTP at the Estevan weigh scale station.

Then there were all those stupid check points we ran outside of Regina the first few years my Unit was considered Region TS - say what you want about it, but I much preferred 1, 2, 4, 3, 6 (then....5) of RSV2010 over this crap!

Mmm hmm. Right.

I like reading your posts, Pete, but I'm just never quite sure what the hell it is you're talking about.

Sorry, VanSmack and Mark S, but Mongo SEEMS to want clarification!

Road Safety Vision 2010: the Federal Government's 2000 plan, HOPING that Canada could demonstrate to the world that we had achieved the safest roads in the world by the end of 2010, by reducing the number of fatalities and injuries, as well as the $ loss, from collisions. The causes were believed to be: 1/ driving after consumption of alcohol, 2/ lack of seat belt use, 3/ other high-risk / aggressive driving offences, 4/ intersection control violations and 5/ unsafe speed levels. The RCMP further added: 6/ criminal interdiction, to the mix.

My Unit modified the order of the priorities and stuck to them, for the most part; for us, Criminal Interdiction was more Warrant Execution, Probation / Release Condition violation charges and Stolen Vehicles. O H-R / A was considered: Prohib (CC) or Susp / Disq (Prov) driving, no DL, unregis MV, cell phone use and lane discipline.

I assume paragraph 1 is understandable when you re-read my previous post about SK commercial vehicle enforcement?

Just the way things were - n.b.: no non-emergency calls were taken, and then everything, including collisions, were turned over to General Duty, but we would take the 253(1) / 259(4) CC drivers.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 pm