Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby FedCO » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Just came across this video. I find it interesting State Police are doing heavy duty truck enforcement, unlike here in Ontario we have a agency for this "MTO". Still very neat how they do vehicle enforcement in Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCtmGLV1x0&feature=channel_video_title

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:30 pm

FedCO wrote:Just came across this video. I find it interesting State Police are doing heavy duty truck enforcement, unlike here in Ontario we have a agency for this "MTO". Still very neat how they do vehicle enforcement in Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCtmGLV1x0&feature=channel_video_title

Some RCMP "F" Division Traffic Services members are CVSA trained and will conduct similar checks, most often in conjunction with Saskatchewan Highways and Infrastructure - Transport Compliance Branch - Highway Transport Patrol - Traffic Officers.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

User avatar
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: GTR
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:46 pm

:aye:

Peel Police have CVSA certified Officers too.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<


***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Haweater
Seasoned Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:01 am
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby Haweater » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 pm

There's a fair number of cvsa certified coppers, the only difference with the Michigan state police is that the officers in the video are their old Motor Carrier Division. Unlike CVSA certified police here who do truck stuff some of the time they do it all the time like MTO, in fact they use to run a seperate recruit course from the rest of the MSP(I don 't know if that's still true or not). I did a blitz with them once, all seemed like good guys but they don't really like getting under the trucks with all their gear on.

To be fair most police up here didn't join the police to do the work MTO does, so even the ones that get cvsa certified only do it here and there. There's the odd one that really gets into it but they're few and far between. Each year MTO decertifies a lot of police that took the course for not inspecting the 32 trucks you need to keep your certification.

lndshark
Regular Member
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm
Location: PNW-USA
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby lndshark » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Quite common in the U.S. Many state police or highway patrol agencies have an integrated motor carrier divisions. I can't name specific states that have separate (other than Washington State and maybe Kentucky?) commercial vehicle enforcement but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Heck, even my small department (~20 sworn) has motor carrier enforcement capability and equipment. We have a major U.S. Highway running through our little burg that bisects our entire state with a lot of truck traffic. We have two officers trained in inspection and enforcement procedures and mobile scales in two patrol cars. I'd love to get into it at some point. I'm a bit of a gearhead so I know what I'm looking at underneath a truck. I'm a traffic nerd too so I think that's why it appeals to me.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby FedCO » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:34 pm

lndshark wrote:Quite common in the U.S. Many state police or highway patrol agencies have an integrated motor carrier divisions. I can't name specific states that have separate (other than Washington State and maybe Kentucky?) commercial vehicle enforcement but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Heck, even my small department (~20 sworn) has motor carrier enforcement capability and equipment. We have a major U.S. Highway running through our little burg that bisects our entire state with a lot of truck traffic. We have two officers trained in inspection and enforcement procedures and mobile scales in two patrol cars. I'd love to get into it at some point. I'm a bit of a gearhead so I know what I'm looking at underneath a truck. I'm a traffic nerd too so I think that's why it appeals to me.


Well keep us updated! I am a huge nerd to heavy equipment and love reading and researching commercial truck stuff. If you got pictures of your patrol vehicles for this work post em.

Haweater
Seasoned Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:01 am
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby Haweater » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:57 pm

FedCO wrote:
lndshark wrote:Quite common in the U.S. Many state police or highway patrol agencies have an integrated motor carrier divisions. I can't name specific states that have separate (other than Washington State and maybe Kentucky?) commercial vehicle enforcement but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Heck, even my small department (~20 sworn) has motor carrier enforcement capability and equipment. We have a major U.S. Highway running through our little burg that bisects our entire state with a lot of truck traffic. We have two officers trained in inspection and enforcement procedures and mobile scales in two patrol cars. I'd love to get into it at some point. I'm a bit of a gearhead so I know what I'm looking at underneath a truck. I'm a traffic nerd too so I think that's why it appeals to me.


Well keep us updated! I am a huge nerd to heavy equipment and love reading and researching commercial truck stuff. If you got pictures of your patrol vehicles for this work post em.



Go wild

http://cvetrucks.50webs.com/comm.htm

lndshark
Regular Member
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm
Location: PNW-USA
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby lndshark » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:56 pm

FedCO wrote:Well keep us updated! I am a huge nerd to heavy equipment and love reading and researching commercial truck stuff. If you got pictures of your patrol vehicles for this work post em.


I'll try to snap a picture of our trunk set-up. We don't have special units for commercial enforcement...just our typical Crown Victoria road patrol units with the weighing equipment in the trunk.

User avatar
No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:10 pm
Location: Collecting shoulder flashes in the CFL Club
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:07 am

lndshark wrote:Quite common in the U.S... I can't name specific states that have separate (other than Washington State and maybe Kentucky?) commercial vehicle enforcement but I think they are the exception rather than the rule...
On my way down to Myrtle Beach a few months ago I saw the South Carolina State Transport Police in action...

(and snagged their old and current patches)

Image Image
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

AHP309
Seasoned Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Just outside 5 District
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby AHP309 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:57 am

One that's missing from the CVE list previously posted, is Dallas County.

http://policecarwebsite.net/fc/copcarpics/dall2.html

Scroll down for the CVE unit, and then go down to the last 5 photos. Now that's a Check Stop Unit 88)

User avatar
Maximum_Mu
Sage Member
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:09 am
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby Maximum_Mu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Vancouver PD had a full time unit if I remember correctly, truck , portable scales and all. Always had two traffic guys in it.

Would this be a good time to define a mermaid cop?

HTP
Rookie Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby HTP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Maximum_Mu wrote:Vancouver PD had a full time unit if I remember correctly, truck , portable scales and all. Always had two traffic guys in it.

Would this be a good time to define a mermaid cop?


Your bright
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

Whistler
Veteran Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby Whistler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:15 pm

In the US it varies state by state... Some states have CVE as part of the state police, some have it as part of the DoT, and some have it as a separate agency which is a state police agency, but separate from the actual state police (if that makes sense). At the end of the day it doesn't really matter since any CVE officer in North America is trained to do the same CVSA inspection no matter what agency they work for or jurisdiction they are located.

In Canada as most of us know most provinces have a specific agency dealing with CVE (Alberta CVEB, BC CVSE, Ontario MTO, Sask HTP, etc), as well as CVSA trained coppers at all levels of police (muni, provincial, RCMP).

For what its worth the last time the Ontario Auditor General did a report on commercial vehicle enforcement (2008 I think?), about 97% of CVSA inspections in the province were done by MTO officers either at inspection stations or on patrol, with about 3% done by policing agencies who have CVSA trained officers.

AHP309
Seasoned Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Just outside 5 District
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby AHP309 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Maximum_Mu wrote:Vancouver PD had a full time unit if I remember correctly, truck , portable scales and all. Always had two traffic guys in it.


They have 4 traffic members doing CVE (including taxi's and limo's). Last I heard they were the only municipal police service in BC with a CVE unit.

AHP309
Seasoned Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Just outside 5 District
Contact:

Re: Michigan State Police - Special Truck Enforcment Team (STET)

Postby AHP309 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Whistler wrote:In the US it varies state by state... Some states have CVE as part of the state police, some have it as part of the DoT, and some have it as a separate agency which is a state police agency, but separate from the actual state police (if that makes sense). At the end of the day it doesn't really matter since any CVE officer in North America is trained to do the same CVSA inspection no matter what agency they work for or jurisdiction they are located.

In Canada as most of us know most provinces have a specific agency dealing with CVE (Alberta CVEB, BC CVSE, Ontario MTO, Sask HTP, etc), as well as CVSA trained coppers at all levels of police (muni, provincial, RCMP).

For what its worth the last time the Ontario Auditor General did a report on commercial vehicle enforcement (2008 I think?), about 97% of CVSA inspections in the province were done by MTO officers either at inspection stations or on patrol, with about 3% done by policing agencies who have CVSA trained officers.


Alberta also has many County/Municipal District/City Peace Officers trained to do CVE.

Not all officers doing Commercial Vehicle Enforcement are CVSA certified. CVSA is just a policy , not legislation, and you sure don't need CVSA certification to enforce the major issues that contribute to most of the serious CVE collisions (Driver error and Fatigue), as well as infrastructure protection.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot and 2 guests