Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles (land, sea, air -- space?).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Gearhead77

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby Gearhead77 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:40 pm

CBK wrote:Sweet, thanks Gearhead. I played around with the in dash message centre and didn't see it before. I will look through it again.
That thing will be off forever!
I think you might have to turn it off on every key cycle. I know on my 2012 Focus I have to turn it off every time I start my car. If I turn the key off it defaults back to on with the next start. It's enough of a pain that I just leave the car buried in the snow and drive my old carb'd truck instead.

CBK
Veteran Member

Postby CBK » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:[
...... It's enough of a pain that I just leave the car buried in the snow and drive my old carb'd truck instead.
LMAO,
With the snow we have had the last couple weeks a car would be useless anyway. :thumbsup:

edit to add:
I found the traction control disable under; Settings / Driver Assist as mentioned above. TY

RobInSanDiego
Rookie Member

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada?

Postby RobInSanDiego » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm sorry I have not read all 17 pages on this topic, but it's too bad they never imported this car into Canada for the police. My police dept. down in San Diego, California has had a fleet of them for over a year (after trying the Taurus and Explorer S.U.V.). Even though I will miss the old Crown Victoria patrol cars when we finally retire them (because of the room inside) I think this is the next best thing. It is more spacious inside that the Taurus and handles really well. The thing I am most impressed with is it's acceleration. It goes like a bat out of hell! In my 26 years of policing (where I started with the 4-barrel V8 1989 Chevy Caprice) I have never driven such a fast police car. The turning radius and handling are really tight too. With this car, you don't need a cramped 2-door Mustang or Camaro highway patrol car, because the Chevy Caprice PPV is just as fast in acceleration and speed.

Here's a link to Chevrolet's brochure showing what it looks like inside:

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl ... APRICE.pdf
RobInSanDiego

Former B.C. Constable. Now a California cop.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:47 am

Thanks for the input!

There will always be speculation on why the Caprice was never sold in Canada.

My opinion is that GM always saw this as a bit of a stop-gap, to test out the marketability of some competition to the Ford sedan, even though they knew the Caprice would disappear in a few years. This is why they modded an Australian car for the U.S. market just to see what happens. Numbers were always limited and GM accidentally drops more vehicles off the backs of freight trains then they sell police cars in North America - and every police car is sold at near-cost pricing. They just didn't have the capacity to ship to Canada too.

So why are they not expanding production, moving it to North America or even marketing the Caprice much? Simple. The popularity of the Tahoe caught them COMPLETELY by surprise.

They are expanding production of the larger-profit-margin Tahoe like crazy, and they are selling every single one they get. Plus, the Tahoe has the HIGHEST retained value of any police car on the market EVER. The civilian market and the police market is very hot for the Tahoe right now, and GM even went so far as to certify the 4-wheel-drive version for pursuit too.

Quite frankly, I believe GM could not care less about the sedan market. They sell 20% of all the police cars in North America, and make 80% of the profit with the Tahoe. (Okay ... just idle speculation on my part.)

Look at the used price of a five-year-old Tahoe for confirmation. It retains over 40% of its value. Compare that to a five-year-old Smart car or tired-battery Tesla; one couldn't give one away if you threw in a gas barbecue and a backseat full of puppies.

RobInSanDiego
Rookie Member

Postby RobInSanDiego » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:40 am

Right now we are having a problem getting even more Chevrolet Caprice ppv cars, due to production delays. Therefore, in the interim we are being forced to buy the Ford Explorer which is very popular in America right now. However our intent is to buy more Caprices as soon as we can. They are very popular with our officers. The Tahoe has not been as popular here in the U.S. as the Ford Explorer.

The Chevrolet Caprice PPV was based on the Pontiac G8 which is now the Chevrolet SS. Both are rockets under the skin of a normal family 4-door sedan. Now that General Motors has said they will close down Holden (GM in Australia) we are wondering if GM will bring production of this car to the United States, from its Australian origin.
RobInSanDiego

badbrad

Postby badbrad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Looks like one caprice made it to Canada, rcmp recently sold 2011 caprice on crown assets Ottawa for 8513.22. With 87,000 Kms, rare car .

smitty
Seasoned Member

Postby smitty » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm

badbrad wrote:Looks like one caprice made it to Canada, rcmp recently sold 2011 caprice on crown assets Ottawa for 8513.22. With 87,000 Kms, rare car .
Wow that's not a bad deal I'd say.

RobInSanDiego
Rookie Member

Postby RobInSanDiego » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm

They stopped making the Chevrolet Caprice police car. They were built in Australia. I spoke to a GM police vehicle rep. at the IACP conference in San Diego about a year ago. He said the last orders had to be placed by March, 2017 as Holden (GM of Australia) was shutting down. Now it's primarily Ford Explorer S.U.V.'s and some Dodge Chargers here. The Ford Taurus is very unpopular here in southern California.
RobInSanDiego