Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles (land, sea, air -- space?).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm

I've been dispatched to some of our customers that get "stuck in snow"... I arrive on scene, find the traction button, press it, and the car is able to get unstuck under its own power.

It's pretty silly to have a vehicle with traction control without having the button to disable it... plan B would be to pull the fuse or relay for it. ;)

I actually watched a video yesterday on >>> You Tube <<< that demonstrates this.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Homer
Sage Member

Postby Homer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 pm

CBK wrote:Do the new Tahoes have that sweet button that you can disable the traction control with like most other Chevys?
My Ford UI doesn't. I think all vehicles with traction control should have that ability.
The civvie version has the button, so it should (but you never know).
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:16 pm

The first couple years of the Charger police vehicle had a button that you could press to turn off the traction control. The fleet managers all screamed at Dodge to get rid of the button because the drivers would push the button so they could do burnouts with their Hemi Chargers. In about 2010 or so Dodge eliminated that button on the police cars.

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:37 pm

mark y wrote:The first couple years of the Charger police vehicle had a button that you could press to turn off the traction control. The fleet managers all screamed at Dodge to get rid of the button because the drivers would push the button so they could do burnouts with their Hemi Chargers. In about 2010 or so Dodge eliminated that button on the police cars.
bs

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:36 pm

FedCO wrote:
mark y wrote:The first couple years of the Charger police vehicle had a button that you could press to turn off the traction control. The fleet managers all screamed at Dodge to get rid of the button because the drivers would push the button so they could do burnouts with their Hemi Chargers. In about 2010 or so Dodge eliminated that button on the police cars.
bs
Huh? What's BS?

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:52 pm

mark y wrote:
FedCO wrote:
bs
Huh? What's BS?
Disabled traction control. Like taking the button out.

mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby mack_silent » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:08 am

I got stuck in snow once with a Chevy Impala.
After trying the traction button and finding no results, I used floor mats under the wheels and rocked it back and forth to get out.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:08 pm

I hate traction control. If people spent more time learning driving skills and recovery from skids then we wouldn't need computers driving for us. Put your latte and your phone down and apply yourself to driving, especially in the winter with the snow and ice.
I'll take a vehicle without traction control any day.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:58 pm

LOL Latte... One of our Shutters was going to bring a hand control car back from downtown Toronto, hand control being just that, for handicapped people, they can work the gas and brake with their hands... Anyhow, he had his Latte in one hand, put the car in Drive, turned the steering wheel, but because he had the wheel tilted down too far, it activated the gas on the hand control, the car accelerated forward directly into a huge cement pillar!

When I got there to Tow the car back to the yard, there was Latte spread from the windshield to the back window. Fun times.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

SierraSeven
Poobah Overlord

Postby SierraSeven » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:10 pm

GM is apparently pulling production out of Australia due to high costs. Maybe the Caprice will be coming to Canada after all?
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:48 pm

SierraSeven wrote:GM is apparently pulling production out of Australia due to high costs. Maybe the Caprice will be coming to Canada after all?
As if 2015 the caprice/SS production is suppose to be build in Michigan state.

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

SierraSeven wrote:GM is apparently pulling production out of Australia due to high costs. Maybe the Caprice will be coming to Canada after all?
I guess the Australian government is smarter than Canada and the US and refused to give GM a bailout package of taxpayers money that we will never see back again.

Gearhead77

Postby Gearhead77 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:24 am

CBK wrote:Do the new Tahoes have that sweet button that you can disable the traction control with like most other Chevys?
My Ford UI doesn't. I think all vehicles with traction control should have that ability.
I'm sure you guys can turn traction control off on the new Ford Utilities and Interceptors through the in-dash message centre, can't you? I'll have to try next time I get to work on one. Should be under a menu called "driver assist" if I remember correctly.....but I'll get the exact details next time I get some seat time in one (whenever that will be). I wish I read this when we had 3 of them sitting in the lot but they've all been delivered now so I'll have to wait until one breaks down where the city doesn't want to deal with it. :D

EDIT: This is straight from the service manual.....
"The traction control system can be disabled by the driver through the menu in the message center by changing the TRACTION CNTRL setting in the message center from ON to OFF. This is independent of the ABS , ESC and RSC® functions, which cannot be disabled by the driver. When the driver disables the traction control function through the message center, the IPC communicates traction control system status to the ABS module via the HS-CAN . The ABS module takes no further action in regards to traction control until the driver activates the function or until the ignition is cycled from OFF to ON. "

SierraSeven
Poobah Overlord

Postby SierraSeven » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:
I'm sure you guys can turn traction control off on the new Ford Utilities and Interceptors through the in-dash message centre, can't you? I'll have to try next time I get to work on one. Should be under a menu called "driver assist" if I remember correctly.....but I'll get the exact details next time I get some seat time in one (whenever that will be). I wish I read this when we had 3 of them sitting in the lot but they've all been delivered now so I'll have to wait until one breaks down where the city doesn't want to deal with it. :D

EDIT: This is straight from the service manual.....
"The traction control system can be disabled by the driver through the menu in the message center by changing the TRACTION CNTRL setting in the message center from ON to OFF. This is independent of the ABS , ESC and RSC® functions, which cannot be disabled by the driver. When the driver disables the traction control function through the message center, the IPC communicates traction control system status to the ABS module via the HS-CAN . The ABS module takes no further action in regards to traction control until the driver activates the function or until the ignition is cycled from OFF to ON. "
Yes, you're right it can be done. Still get the all wheel drive, just a little more looser.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 pm

That's what she said...... :twisted:
OFFICER OF THE LAW