Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles (land, sea, air -- space?).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby FedCO » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 pm

wonka1990 wrote:York tested out the Ford Sedan, Utility and the Tahoe for front line use. No one liked the Tahoe, mainly because the way they had it set up inside was retarded. They decided all front line vehicle will be the Ford Utility (Explorer) with traffic, COR and apparently supervisors having to cram into the Ford Sedan. I'm 6'3" and around 205 lbs and I have to fall in to the sedan, getting out in a hurry isn't an option.
Werid, Tahoe is very good vehicle and setup properly, it's an amazing ppv.

wonka1990
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:52 am
Location: GTA

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby wonka1990 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:13 pm

FedCO wrote:
wonka1990 wrote:York tested out the Ford Sedan, Utility and the Tahoe for front line use. No one liked the Tahoe, mainly because the way they had it set up inside was retarded. They decided all front line vehicle will be the Ford Utility (Explorer) with traffic, COR and apparently supervisors having to cram into the Ford Sedan. I'm 6'3" and around 205 lbs and I have to fall in to the sedan, getting out in a hurry isn't an option.
Werid, Tahoe is very good vehicle and setup properly, it's an amazing ppv.
I've been in Durham's Tahoes and they were set up better. For our to turn the lights on you had to put the laptop down, same to turn the siren on. The laptop mount was different and wasnt as good.
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 9314
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:10 pm

wonka1990 wrote:York tested out the Ford Sedan, Utility and the Tahoe for front line use. No one liked the Tahoe, mainly because the way they had it set up inside was retarded. They decided all front line vehicle will be the Ford Utility (Explorer) with traffic, COR and apparently supervisors having to cram into the Ford Sedan. I'm 6'3" and around 205 lbs and I have to fall in to the sedan, getting out in a hurry isn't an option.
I had one out one night and it was raining. The rain leaked into the dome light which then leaked onto the MWS. I felt like that wasn't a good idea.

User avatar
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator
Posts: 11653
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: GTR
Contact:

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Sounds like someone used screws that were a little bit too long maybe?
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<


***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

User avatar
mark y
Grand Poobah
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby mark y » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
I had one out one night and it was raining. The rain leaked into the dome light which then leaked onto the MWS. I felt like that wasn't a good idea.
Sounds like someone doesn't know how to seal up a lightbar cable entry hole.

User avatar
mark y
Grand Poobah
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby mark y » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 pm

GPZ wrote:
...It's all well and good to test the cars as delivered - but it's a different ballgame once you add a cage, gun rack, radio, and laptop, and make the driver and passenger wear duty gear and live in the thing for 12 hours. Big engines and hot acceleration numbers are fun, but I'd trade horsepower for interior room any day.
Yes, I couldn't agree more. At the seminar, Ford talked for 40 minutes about how they were faster than anyone at the Michigan State Police trials, etc. Oddly, they didn't mention braking distance once, nor interior room, nor a bunch of other things. Probably because their braking was by far the worst of the group. The Ford sedan from 60mph was about 135 feet, the Charger was 127 feet and the Caprice 126 feet. Even the Tahoe (133') beat all the Fords (including the sedan) in stopping distance. Full results; http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/V ... 7672_7.pdf .

That's why I like the Tahoe so much - great visibility, good handling, decent power (will be better in 2015 with the new engine). I wish they would give a 3.5L turbo engine option (or better yet, put a turbo diesel in one). However, the resale value on Tahoes is generally 5x that of a Crown Vic, so that makes up for the higher initial price and somewhat worse fuel mileage. I just hope GM isn't going to see the Tahoe sales go downhill because of fuel prices.

My impression from talking to a bunch of people at Copswest is that while they were all initially very excited about the Ford offerings (mostly the Utility), now that they have had them for a year or so they're discovering they aren't all they thought they would be.

Ford still dominates the market with Utilities. Dodge claims to be the best-selling pursuit sedan in the US (the south east is full of Chargers). Ford says they've sold 9700 sedans and 11,700 Utilities this year so far (that conflicts with other numbers I've seen that say that Ford sells 8 pursuit utilities for every 2 sedans they sell). That's 20K vehicles out of a total market of about 50K vehicles (down from about 70K/year 3-4 yrs ago), so there are still lots of non-Fords being sold. GM and Dodge didn't say how many they've sold, but I gather from talking to the GM guys that their sales have softened over the last 2 years (since the Ford Utility has been available), and GM had to make a decision to either live with that, or step up their game.

In reality, GM hasn't changed that much on their PPV. Adding 4WD is one big change and will be fantastic for many agencies, but other than that the other changes are straight out of their 2015 civi Tahoes.

Our laptop/computer mount manufacturer says that they still see tons of Tahoe products being sold (consoles, etc. are vehicle-specific), and some of the equipment storage box (for the cargo area of the Utilities) manufacturers said that they still see a very strong demand for the Tahoe products. They're expecting that the new Tahoe will strengthen that demand, but only time will tell.

Ford has done a very 'hard sell' on the AWD of both of their vehicles, because neither of their competitors had it. Now both the Charger and the Tahoe are being offered in AWD/4WD, so Ford has lost some of their edge there. It'll be interesting to see how it goes over the next 2-3 years, but I think it's safe to say that there is no clear-cut winner in the police car market in North America. In Canada I think it'll be the Ford Utility in the lead with Tahoe second ,and Charger third. The least favourites seem to be the Impala and the Ford sedan. I'm not counting Durango and Ram, etc. because they are SSV's and not 'pursuit rated'.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 9314
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:22 am

Still the Tahoe had tons more room than a CVPI or the new Interceptor sedan. For the Canadian climate I can't see why services wouldn't want an AWD Tahoe. They boast better fuel economy than a CVPI and are still a "truck" with a real frame and rear axle. Sure being able to slip the rear end out a bit is great 8 months out of the year.....but we still have at least 4 solid months of crappy road conditions daily. I've yet to get into an Interceptor SUV.....I wonder if they will be "fulltime" AWD or just the plain old FWD models.

User avatar
mark y
Grand Poobah
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby mark y » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Still the Tahoe had tons more room than a CVPI or the new Interceptor sedan. For the Canadian climate I can't see why services wouldn't want an AWD Tahoe. They boast better fuel economy than a CVPI and are still a "truck" with a real frame and rear axle. Sure being able to slip the rear end out a bit is great 8 months out of the year.....but we still have at least 4 solid months of crappy road conditions daily. I've yet to get into an Interceptor SUV.....I wonder if they will be "fulltime" AWD or just the plain old FWD models.
Ford has discontinued the FWD Utility Interceptors for the 2015 model year. I know Victoria PD has a couple of them and they hate them. VicPD has a few Tahoes and they love them. I don't believe they have any AWD Utility Interceptors. My impression is that they're going to stay with the Tahoe.

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby FedCO » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Still the Tahoe had tons more room than a CVPI or the new Interceptor sedan. For the Canadian climate I can't see why services wouldn't want an AWD Tahoe. They boast better fuel economy than a CVPI and are still a "truck" with a real frame and rear axle. Sure being able to slip the rear end out a bit is great 8 months out of the year.....but we still have at least 4 solid months of crappy road conditions daily. I've yet to get into an Interceptor SUV.....I wonder if they will be "fulltime" AWD or just the plain old FWD models.
Tahoe is sick! i want one for personal use as well. If setup well, amazing ppv!

HD48
Regular Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby HD48 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:55 pm

I've driven the Tahoe PPV and the Interceptor Utility at work (rural Ontario). I'm not a big guy, so interior space isn't as much of an issue for me. The taller/bigger guys at work don't fit into the Interceptor Utility very well and won't drive them.

The Interceptor Utility accelerate's much faster than the Tahoe and it can turn on a dime (very tight turning radius). It is lower to the ground than the Tahoe and the handling is much better at high speed. I recently went to help a motorist who got stuck in the mud on an unserviced road. I didn't go in as far as them but I ventured down part of the road. I was surprised to see that the Interceptor Utility got me in & out and in handled very well (I got it covered in mud and had to wash it twice). I have driven the Tahoe a lot and know that I would have buried it if I had taken it in there.

The cargo space in the rear of the Interceptor Utility is much less than the Tahoe and storing gear in the back can be problematic depending on what your agency and personal needs are. I like the space in the Tahoe and I like that it is a big vehicle.

I wish my agency would make use of the steering-mounted controls for emergency equipment on the Interceptor. They may do that once we have transitioned to more Interceptor products??

Both the Tahoe PPV and the Interceptor Utility are good vehicles and I am would drive either - but I'm not a big guy and I suspect that is a deal breaker for some drivers.

Just my 2 cents worth... HD48
“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”

wonka1990
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:52 am
Location: GTA

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby wonka1990 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 am

HD48 wrote:I've driven the Tahoe PPV and the Interceptor Utility at work (rural Ontario). I'm not a big guy, so interior space isn't as much of an issue for me. The taller/bigger guys at work don't fit into the Interceptor Utility very well and won't drive them.

The Interceptor Utility accelerate's much faster than the Tahoe and it can turn on a dime (very tight turning radius). It is lower to the ground than the Tahoe and the handling is much better at high speed. I recently went to help a motorist who got stuck in the mud on an unserviced road. I didn't go in as far as them but I ventured down part of the road. I was surprised to see that the Interceptor Utility got me in & out and in handled very well (I got it covered in mud and had to wash it twice). I have driven the Tahoe a lot and know that I would have buried it if I had taken it in there.

The cargo space in the rear of the Interceptor Utility is much less than the Tahoe and storing gear in the back can be problematic depending on what your agency and personal needs are. I like the space in the Tahoe and I like that it is a big vehicle.

I wish my agency would make use of the steering-mounted controls for emergency equipment on the Interceptor. They may do that once we have transitioned to more Interceptor products??

Both the Tahoe PPV and the Interceptor Utility are good vehicles and I am would drive either - but I'm not a big guy and I suspect that is a deal breaker for some drivers.

Just my 2 cents worth... HD48
I have to disagree about the Interceptor Utility. I'm a bigger guy and I have tons of space, way more than the cvic or impala.
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

User avatar
mark y
Grand Poobah
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby mark y » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:37 pm

wonka1990 wrote: I have to disagree about the Interceptor Utility. I'm a bigger guy and I have tons of space, way more than the cvic or impala.
Yes, the Ford UI is pretty good sized inside, especially relative to a sedan. The Tahoe has more useable room up front , though. The Ford dash comes into the passenger area more than the dash 'stack' on the Tahoe, and the Tahoe has a lower floor space between the seats.

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby FedCO » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm

mark y wrote:
wonka1990 wrote: I have to disagree about the Interceptor Utility. I'm a bigger guy and I have tons of space, way more than the cvic or impala.
Yes, the Ford UI is pretty good sized inside, especially relative to a sedan. The Tahoe has more useable room up front , though. The Ford dash comes into the passenger area more than the dash 'stack' on the Tahoe, and the Tahoe has a lower floor space between the seats.
I've seen some very nice Tahoes. NRPS is decent, love the laptop,radio location. They put the siren controls above center light. OPP is nicely setup as well.

User avatar
mark y
Grand Poobah
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby mark y » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:46 pm

HD48 wrote: The Interceptor Utility accelerate's much faster than the Tahoe and it can turn on a dime (very tight turning radius).
I'm assuming you're comparing the PPV Tahoe (not the SSV) to the Ford 3.7L Utility AWD?

The recent (last month) Michigan state police trials results;
Tahoe 5.3L 0-60mph = 8.22 sec
Ford UI 3.7L NA = 8.02 sec
Ford UI 3.5L Ecoboost = 6.28

So the Ford UI you've been driving (since the Ecoboost UI isn't available yet) is only a tad quicker to 60mph than the Tahoe. 0-100mph times are similar. Keep in mind that's the 2014 Tahoe, too, not the newer 2015 model which isn't out yet. The new Tahoe is going to have +40 (or so) hp over the current engine.
It is lower to the ground than the Tahoe and the handling is much better at high speed.
Yes, the Tahoe is built on a truck chassis and the Ford is built on a sedan chassis.
I recently went to help a motorist who got stuck in the mud on an unserviced road. I didn't go in as far as them but I ventured down part of the road. I was surprised to see that the Interceptor Utility got me in & out and in handled very well (I got it covered in mud and had to wash it twice). I have driven the Tahoe a lot and know that I would have buried it if I had taken it in there.
Keep in mind you're comparing an AWD vehicle with a RWD vehicle here. If you are comparing the older Tahoe PPV with the new Ford AWD vehicle, the Ford has more intelligence in the traction control than the older Tahoes did. The newer Tahoes are better, and the new 2015 model will be even better.

CBK
Veteran Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby CBK » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 am

Do the new Tahoes have that sweet button that you can disable the traction control with like most other Chevys?
My Ford UI doesn't. I think all vehicles with traction control should have that ability.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest