Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles (land, sea, air -- space?).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Re: Chev Caprice coming to Canada

Postby FedCO » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:23 pm

God I love the caprice! I would love to own a detective one, which is just a civi on steroids. Everything I want. 6.0l v8 muscle, amazing handling. Nice interior, zero frills.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:36 pm

I certainly enjoyed the cloth upholstery, but wish that the manufacturers could have improved the front seat covering to make them more resistant to abrasion and easier to clean.

I hope the vinyl / rubber floor covering is either smooth or ribbed, rather than pebbled, as that crap was hard to keep clean.

I like the centre console mounting plate - you boys and girls should have seen the Frankensteined rigs built by Pinky Auto Service. A design created by a shop in North Battleford, including a down-angled front passenger side-of-the-trans-hump shotgun mount, was eventually adopted "F" Division wide.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

No 20 Year Medal
Poobah Overlord

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 am

nascarfan wrote:There was a silver caprice at David's last year. It was ordered by the nrps and it was delivered. Before it was put into service, Gm bought it back because it was an error on their part for accepting the order
And speaking of Niagara Regional, they're going to new graphics and I'd say they're, ummm, different

Image Image
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:58 pm

That Niagara car looks half done. It looks like parts of the graphics are missing. Not a great look. :roll:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Von
Veteran Member

Postby Von » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:That Niagara car looks half done. It looks like parts of the graphics are missing. Not a great look. :roll:
I think it looks hideous. If you're gonna go B&W you should just go traditional IMO.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Maybe I'm dense, but I have no idea what the graphics on the rear door and quarter panel are supposed to represent.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Von
Veteran Member

Postby Von » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:33 pm

devilwoman wrote:Maybe I'm dense, but I have no idea what the graphics on the rear door and quarter panel are supposed to represent.
What, the black area? I think it kinda looks like something Batman would use. XD
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:54 pm

It kinda looks like crap. Lol.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:31 pm

With three different fonts on the same car, it is what we at Blue Line call a "rolling ransom note."

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 pm

devilwoman wrote:Maybe I'm dense, but I have no idea what the graphics on the rear door and quarter panel are supposed to represent.
I'm looking at the media release on it... and there is no mention of what the new graphics are... But maybe it is a side profile of The Falls? :ponder:

I've sent a message to NRPS on Facebook to see if they know... Stay tuned...

Dave Brown wrote:With three different fonts on the same car, it is what we at Blue Line call a "rolling ransom note."
Dave, so for the next "Best Dressed", can you please have a "Rolling Ransom Note" category? Please?
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:27 pm

I was stoked to hear that Nrps was going black and white but this paint scheme is messed up? Who approved this lol. I love Hamilton police's cars black and white paint scheme and OPP and oh Calgary police as well.

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 am

GM announced today in the US that they're going to be continuing production of the Impala (in its current model style) until the 2016 model year.

Some other changes include new engine in the new Tahoes ( a couple different options) in the new 2015 body style. They're claiming more hp and torque yet better fuel economy than the Ford Utility Interceptor Ecoboost engine.

They also announced that the Tahoe is going to be available later next year in a 4wd Pursuit version, which is a huge upgrade. They didn't say whether it's a higher chassis stance like the current 4WD SSV , or if it's a 4WD version of the current 'lowered' 2WD PPV.

We're out at the California test track tomorrow with GM, Ford, and Dodge so I'll talk to the GM folks and try to get more info, and also see if there are any plans on bringing the Caprice to Canada (not holding my breath).

While we're on the topic - nothing much new from Ford. I didn't go to the Dodge seminar today but they were expected to talk about their new AWD Charger Pursuit (called the 'enforcer' in Canada) model.

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:13 am

mark y wrote:GM announced today in the US that they're going to be continuing production of the Impala (in its current model style) until the 2016 model year.

Some other changes include new engine in the new Tahoes ( a couple different options) in the new 2015 body style. They're claiming more hp and torque yet better fuel economy than the Ford Utility Interceptor Ecoboost engine.

They also announced that the Tahoe is going to be available later next year in a 4wd Pursuit version, which is a huge upgrade. They didn't say whether it's a higher chassis stance like the current 4WD SSV , or if it's a 4WD version of the current 'lowered' 2WD PPV.

We're out at the California test track tomorrow with GM, Ford, and Dodge so I'll talk to the GM folks and try to get more info, and also see if there are any plans on bringing the Caprice to Canada (not holding my breath).

While we're on the topic - nothing much new from Ford. I didn't go to the Dodge seminar today but they were expected to talk about their new AWD Charger Pursuit (called the 'enforcer' in Canada) model.
Nice, can't wait to hear back from you.

CBK
Veteran Member

Postby CBK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:24 am

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: shoulda waited another year for the 4WD PPV Tahoe!!!!

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Some updates from the vehicle manufacturer seminars at CopsWest;

Ford - No significant changes other than the new 2.0L sedan. They are adding an 'ultimate wiring harness' which I hear is about US$1200 that is the same wiring harness as the RFTR (Ready For The Road) package, but without the lights. I gather there were a number of departments who didn't like the lights that came with the car. In talking to a number of fleet managers for large fleets in Calif., they all said that it's cheaper and better to have a good installer put lights and wiring into the car. Ford FWD Utlity Interceptor is no longer available. 3.7L engine now standard on sedan and UI, and that is provides better power and fuel economy than the 3.5L. Sedan still has an option for 3.5L and is also now available with a 2.0L i-4 Ecoboost engine (non pursuit rated) for admin, campus police, etc. (I drove it aggressively on the track and it's not bad once you get the engine/turbos wound up, but pretty gutless below maybe 3000rpm). The 2L engine produces 240hp @ 5500rpm and 270lb-ft @ 3000rpm. Faster 0-60 than the Crown Vic.

Dodge - not a lot new. They talked about their AWD Charger coming out next year. RWD that kicks in the front drive when needed, and it has some smarts in it like it'll turn on the front wheel power when you have the windshield wipers on, etc. They didn't give much detail about this.

GM - tons new (which is opposite of their normal presentation). The 2015 Tahoe is dramatically revised including a stiffer frame, slightly wider track, same wheelbase and same interior/ext size as the 2014. Better brakes, aluminum hood and lift gate, projector headlamps. Seats are 40/20/40 split. You can get the 9U3 option to delete the center seat, which you'd want to do in a fleet vehicle. Note that there is a bucket seat option (A95) that is available but it comes with a large OEM plastic console between the front seats and also adds a center airbag. GM said if you're doing a police vehicle, do NOT order the bucket seat option. It also comes with an engine idle meter, optional adjustable pedals, and a 110vac outlet in the front console area (I've never seen this on a police vehicle before - very cool idea) as well as some USB power sockets. It also has a panorama mirror to allow you to see the entire back seat (it sits above and behind the regular rearview mirror - kind of hard to explain). Backup cam and park assist are now standard. Optional driver alert package (lane departure warning, forward collision warning) . New Engine - Chev Gen5 small block that is a 5.3L V8 with 355hp (increase of 35hp) and 383lb-ft (increase of 48) torque over 2014 model. Also has better fuel economy with direct injection, variable valve timing, and active fuel management (cylinder deactivation) that is more aggressive than previous years. It is a truck engine with high torque at low rpm. Also has a 6 speed trans. Fuel economy is expected to be about the same as the Ford Ecoboost Utility Interceptor. GM said that the Tahoe is a 4WD vehicle not AWD. I have to admit that the line between AWD and 4WD is becoming a bit blurred and I didn't clearly understand the benefit of one over the other.

GM talked a lot about how quiet the new Tahoe will be. Triple sealed doors, acoustic panels in the wheel wells, etc. A few other notes on the Tahoe; comes standard with isolated (yay!) auxiliary battery, payload increased by 72lbs to 1588lbs, PPV model will now come with a trailer hitch (towing allowed under normal driving speeds, not while pursuing!). The Tahoe has bigger/better brakes now as well and has a shorter stopping distance than before (by how much, they didn't say). 4WD PPV will be available in later 2014 (October-ish). I talked to a GM guy and he said that the 4WD PPV is based on the 2WD PPV, so it uses the lower suspension and tires like the 2WD PPV uses, rather than the higher stance of the civilian Tahoe. The SSV (Special Service Vehicle - NOT pursuit rated) will still be available (it's the higher stance one that is basically a 'decontented' civilian tahoe).

One thing that both Ford and GM said that on all their vehicles the A pillars are now ultra high strength boron steel, so order pillar spots with the car or don't have them, because they are basically impossible to drill them into the A pillars later.
Last edited by mark y on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.