What do you drive/Dream car

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles (land, sea, air -- space?).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

mark y
Grand Poobah

Re: What do you drive/Dream car

Postby mark y » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Snowman wrote: :ponder: w is your problem ? imo front plates detract from a vehicles styling and function, critically as cars get smaller and front license plate location is an after thought at best. Most Canadian Provinces & Territories do not require or have front plates on vehicles. Your truck is designed for a rear plate as all vehicles are, and technically there is no reason a light duty truck or SUV should not have the validation tags on the back plate the same as passenger cars other than the law has not kept up with the times. In the end I had to drill the holes for the plate mount because that was the only way to mount it, damn shame to put holes in the front of a collector car with original paint, but can't fight city hall nor count on backwards Ontario to do anything progressive rather than punative. If the car had actually been designed for a front plate I would not have had any issue installing it in the first place.

Front plates detract from vehicle styling

Steve Russell/TORONTO STAR
Ferrari licence plate at a Ferrari Rally in Newmarket, September 16, 2001.
Joel Cohen
My "problem" (interesting that because I disagree with you, it's me who has the 'problem'), is that you are wanting to eliminate front plates because it doesn't look good, and no other reason. While there seems to be some cost savings, that's not the case.

Every vehicle in Canada must come with a front plate bracket option. Even Crown Vic police cars have a no charge order option for a front plate bracket.

It's interesting how the article, from a car dealership rep, says how much money the governments can save by eliminating a front plate. What they're not showing is how much money they spend paying out insurance claims, dealing with unsolved crimes, etc. because people were not easily able to identify a vehicle.

Any auto theft cop in a province with rear plates only will tell you that stolen cars are often parked tail-in at a vehicle dump location so the police can't see the plates, thus making recovery more difficult.

While the article quotes that the majority of provinces don't have front plates, what they're not saying is that some of the biggest provinces DO have 2 plates (ON, BC, and also MB). How does that stack up not in % of provinces that don't have a front plate, but % of vehicles in Canada that have 2 plates vs those with only 1? In 2007 there were 19.7 million vehicles registered in Canada, of which ON had 10.4m and BC has 2m. So, more than 63% of vehicles in Canada are required to have front plates. I didn't count MB and other provinces. Maybe the minority percentage of the other provinces should get with the times, huh?

The article also incorrectly states that toll roads catch the rear plate. True in some toll roads, but not all. Often cameras will read the front AND the rear plates, just to ensure they get at least one of them. Lost revenue because of removing a front plate would EASILY offset any savings in eliminating a front plate. Also, Automatic License Plate Readers, which can be used to catch uninsured vehicles, prohibited drivers, warrants, and much more, depend heavily on the front plate of oncoming vehicles. Eliminating the front plate reduces the ability to read over 50% of plates. Again, mucho revenue loss.

So, if you want to eliminate front plates, why not eliminate both? Under your theory, wouldn't that save MORE money? I can always stick the validation sticker on my window or back bumper (in BC, passenger vehicles including pickup trucks have the decals on the rear plate). Or, we could be like SK and MB and eliminate annual validation stickers too. That's sure to save more money, right? Never mind that police have NO way of spotting uninsured vehicles. At least the gov't is saving a couple hundred thou on insurance decals. However, they have no way of knowing how many uninsured vehicles are on the road, which means they're losing $1000/yr (or whatever) per car that's uninsured.

License plates are enforcement and vehicle ID tools. They are legal documents that are designed to help police and public identify a vehicle. Reducing that enforcement tool by 50% doesn't make sense, unless you are a fan of government only looking at the immediate savings and not the long-term repercussions. If you're going to think that way, why bother to change your oil in your car? It's just an expense that you don't need.

Snowman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Snowman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 pm

The old saying about argueing with someone on the internet,,,

Didn't state at any time that vehicles don't require a tag, they obviously do. You jumped to that extension on your own. :ponder: Just my opinion is a waste and detracts from vehicle styling and in some cases cooling. The plate bracket itself can add to any damage that a slight bump on the front end of a car might absorb because now you have a rigid piece with screws in it on that flexible front.
As far as toll roads, don't care, don't use them, but they don't seem to have a problem with motorcycles which have one small plate on the back.
My older plates are non reflective, so they add no value to the safety of a car being seen from the front, but then that's why the front amber signal lights have reflectors designed into them. I've been driving a long time and never had a reflective license plate stop some idiot from backing into one of my vehicles. Now there's a stretch ! Last time I was run into it was from behind, they totally missed the plate, red lights and bf blue truck. :P
In any case, it's an opinion only, mine is that they are uneccessary and ugly on cars, but it is currently the law in Ontario to have them so they are installed. No problem with the enforcement of it as thats just the way it is until changed if ever. Other point of the entire issue is that the current government of Ontario would rather tax & spend more money than look at anything that might actually save a few tax dollars. This might come to an end this Fall, one can only hope.
Beer Me !

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:34 am

:aye:

Snowman has been driving for a long time, I believe the plates were leather with a brass seal or porcelain when he started driving... :P

So how about those dream cars & what you drive... what happened to that topic? :ponder:

I'm still driving my 2007 Impala as a personal vehicle, and a 2010 Hino 258 Flatbed for my work truck which is up to 175,000 km in a year and a half! I finally had the horn upgraded from the standard "Toyota Car" style horn (read whimpy), to something that's a little more attention getting, it sounds exactly like >>> THIS <<< guy's horn!

I think my dream vehicle now would be one that doesn't have any fancy security systems that prevents the vehicle to start if the battery gets low, stupid anti theft systems... Although my Optima Gel Battery I put in a few months ago seems to be holding up really well...
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Snowman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Snowman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:06 am

Respond Wayne wrote::aye:

Snowman has been driving for a long time, I believe the plates were leather with a brass seal or porcelain when he started driving... :P
So how about those dream cars & what you drive... what happened to that topic? :ponder:

I'm still driving my 2007 Impala as a personal vehicle, and a 2010 Hino 258 Flatbed for my work truck which is up to 175,000 km in a year and a half! I finally had the horn upgraded from the standard "Toyota Car" style horn (read whimpy), to something that's a little more attention getting, it sounds exactly like >>> THIS <<< guy's horn!

I think my dream vehicle now would be one that doesn't have any fancy security systems that prevents the vehicle to start if the battery gets low, stupid anti theft systems... Although my Optima Gel Battery I put in a few months ago seems to be holding up really well...

Hey now, lets not make this personal lol :P

For a dream car I wish that other drivers woudl treat my good cars the same way they do my old 94 Dodge Shadow winter beater, they won't even park near the thing & nothing ever happens to it. Truck is a magnet for people parking too tight & people just seem to have to touch the other cars, red paint must feel different than white or black.
I've always wanted to own a Lambourghini Countach.
Beer Me !

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:07 am

I got to drive a new Cadillac CTS-V last week. FUN car. Supercharged V8 with 556hp and 535 lb-ft of torque. The traction control is unreal - I coludn't break the thing loose at all :( Huge 6-piston Brembo calipers on the front. Stops as fast as it starts.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:18 am

If you want to break loose, Mark... try the new Chrysler 300 Hemi... Man oh man, I drove one a few weeks ago after driving one of our new Fiat 500's, I just about got whiplash! You just touch the gas pedal and the tires spin! :shock:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

GoodWitness
Poobah Overlord

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 pm

mark y wrote:I got to drive a new Cadillac CTS-V last week. FUN car. Supercharged V8 with 556hp and 535 lb-ft of torque. The traction control is unreal - I coludn't break the thing loose at all :( Huge 6-piston Brembo calipers on the front. Stops as fast as it starts.

Very nice!
<cough-cough>...no front plate...<cough-cough> :D

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:24 pm

GoodWitness wrote: Very nice!
<cough-cough>...no front plate...<cough-cough> :D
Ha! Good one! It would look silly and block the airflow, clearly. Hellooo..

:D

Snowman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Snowman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-Cam ... 27bb8a1279
Great deal on a Camaro on ebay, seller with a sense of humour & no front plate :P
HER or the CAR?

Your Choice...

But The Car is Better Looking & A Whole Lot Cheaper!

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

As much as this car & my wife are loved and will be missed. I am forced to part with both, So my loss is your gain here. The car has less than 10,000 miles on it, her- a little more-just saying. The car has never seen snow, she can be as cold as ice. The car was garage stored when not in use, she is making me move out to the garage. This car has extraordinary acceleration with the 6.2L V8, superior handling, excellent value, head-turning looks, unique interior design, great fuel economy, and a throaty boasting exhaust, which beats a bitchy mouth any day.

Lets Compare Spec’s

2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Soon To Be Ex-Wife

Muscle Car
Pretentious Witch

SS Model
Snob Model

High Performance Motor
Motor Mouth Low performance brain

Extraordinary Acceleration
Wants Reparations

6.2L LS3 V8 producing 426 hp @ 5900 rpm
36 27 39 @ 5”8’

Produces 420 lb·ft at 4600 rpm
Produced My Kids

6-Speed Manual Transmission
1-Speed... Slow

Active Fuel Management
Active Micro Management

Independent Four-Wheel Suspension System
Fully Dependant Decision Making System

StabiliTrak electronic stability/traction control
Unstable & No Control

Competitive/Sport modes
Vindictive Modus Operandi

Launch Control
Launches argument at every opportunity

6 Standard Air Bags
Mother In Law Windbag

RS Appearance Package
Gave Up on Appearance

RS-Specific Taillamps and Wheels
used rear end needs clearence lights

Spoiler
Spoiled

HID Headlamps with Integrated Halo Rings
Devil Horns Glowing red eys and sags in all the wrong places

Variable-Rate Power Steering
Variable-Rate Bitch Mode

Throaty Exhaust
Throating Nothing Ever

Precision Handling
Loose on entry

Under 10k Miles
Over 10k Miles

Supercar Performance
Winning Drama Performance

Neon Trim Lighting Color Matched To Interior
Carpet does not match the drapes

16 cty/24 hwy mpg
2 hours between Tim Hortons

Rally Stripe package in inferno orange
Baby Stripe package-in Stretch Mark White

Competitive/Sport modes
Passive/Aggressive Modes

Brembo Four Piston Disc Brake Systems
Doesn’t Know when To Stop

Two Tone Leather Interior
To Tan Leather Exterior

Never had any problems
Too Many to list

Full Onboard Diagnostic System OBD-II
Unable to Diagnose Problem

Rack and Pinion Steering
Armpit Rack

Caddillacs are nice, but,,, had a Seville STS for a few years, one of the nicest cars I have owned to drive but just brutally expensive for repairs. The active suspension was just incredibly expensive. Car also dropped like a stone in value, wicked depreciation curve, but it did have a proper place for a front licence plate. :smirk:
Beer Me !

ArmouredSoup

Postby ArmouredSoup » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Snowman wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-Cam ... 27bb8a1279

Caddillacs are nice, but,,, had a Seville STS for a few years, one of the nicest cars I have owned to drive but just brutally expensive for repairs. The active suspension was just incredibly expensive. Car also dropped like a stone in value, wicked depreciation curve, but it did have a proper place for a front licence plate. :smirk:
Yeah I hear you, I had a 95 STS back in the day, beautiful car, and it was only $12,000, but cost me about $4,000 in 3 months for repairs. Then my insurance went up to 600 bucks a month, and good-bye STS.

Peregrine
Rookie Member

Postby Peregrine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:06 pm

I drive a Corvette, but I'd like to own an Aston Martin DBS/Virage.

argyll

Postby argyll » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 am

The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

mattcll

Postby mattcll » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:34 am

well right now I just drove a normal ol 2002 4door civic. with 300k on it... 5spd tho! lol

for my next vehicle I'm looking at a 06-07 mazdaspeed 6. I was looking at getting a newer mustang GT or a G35 coupe but I figure since I live in the mountains the mazdaspeed is a more practical choice with the AWD and it also has some pep :)

dream car... where to begin! for a realistic dream car I would say a BMW M3 or CTS-V or maybe an Audi RS4 :)

bluenoser1978
Veteran Member

Postby bluenoser1978 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:55 pm