What do you drive/Dream car

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles (land, sea, air -- space?).

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

applicant349
Rookie Member

Re: What do you drive/Dream car

Postby applicant349 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Snowman wrote:
applicant349 wrote:
applicant349 wrote:currently, i ride around on kingston transit haha

although previous cars in the last year have been 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 and 2002 Oldsmobile alero

dream car:

2010 dodge ram (with a nice lift on it)
or
2010 dodge challenger r/t

well i'm off the bus and back into my own ride. it's not a 2010, but i picked up an 02 ram 1500 sport reg cab, short box 4x4 with the stock dodge 20" rims. already added the dual exhaust, a couple racing stripes. will be all complete once the lift and tires are added ;) if anyone can tell me how to upload pics i'll post a picture :)

EDIT: forgot to add i've put in a superchips chip and a k&n cold air intake

Took my new toy out for a rip prior to the e-test to warm it up. Have not driven this car other than around the block. Had a few nervous moments during the e-test as I knew from driving it the LT1 had been warmed over a bit and chipped, working much better than stock which is not always a good thing for an e-test. Got two bits of good news, first, there is no where for them to strap the car up to put it on the dyno without getting in the way of the exhaust system , so it got the easy pass & it actually passed :thumbsup: Now for the safety check, which should be a no brainer. Now where to mount the damned Ont front plate without drilling holes in the car :ponder:

Snowman: On the dash in the front windshield is no longer valid? i see folks driving imports with campbell's soup cans in the back with their plates in the windshield all the time...

Toonces: a buddy of mine just picked up a 2011 f150 and according to the meter he can get over 800 km for a $120 tank...i dont care who y'are that's good for a 5.0L v8...my ram costs me about the same to fill up and i can barely push past 500 km in my 4.7L v8. but who cares i love my truck!

[img]C:\Users\Dave\Downloads\205639_1828678810602_1649280003_1805756_1158250_n.jpg[/img]

Snowman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Snowman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Took my new toy out for a rip prior to the e-test to warm it up. Have not driven this car other than around the block. Had a few nervous moments during the e-test as I knew from driving it the LT1 had been warmed over a bit and chipped, working much better than stock which is not always a good thing for an e-test. Got two bits of good news, first, there is no where for them to strap the car up to put it on the dyno without getting in the way of the exhaust system , so it got the easy pass & it actually passed :thumbsup: Now for the safety check, which should be a no brainer. Now where to mount the damned Ont front plate without drilling holes in the car :ponder:[/quote]

Snowman: On the dash in the front windshield is no longer valid? i see folks driving imports with campbell's soup cans in the back with their plates in the windshield all the time...

Toonces: a buddy of mine just picked up a 2011 f150 and according to the meter he can get over 800 km for a $120 tank...i dont care who y'are that's good for a 5.0L v8...my ram costs me about the same to fill up and i can barely push past 500 km in my 4.7L v8. but who cares i love my truck!

[img]C:\Users\Dave\Downloads\205639_1828678810602_1649280003_1805756_1158250_n.jpg[/img][/quote]

Even if it was legal, I'd never put a metal license plate on the dash of a vehicle. Not a good place to put it, although I see it all the time, if you have an accident or the airbag goes off. I have the front plastic plate mount, just not the hardware to mount it on the front of the car. Someone opened the bag that came with the hardware & removed it over the years. Waiting for the pieces that mount the plastic to the front of the car from the General. Still, it's a damn shame to have to drill the front of this car after all these years. Just be my luck Ontario will get rid of the front plate after the next election, one can only hope. Looked at every possibility not to drill holes, but there is just no where else to mount it than on the front bumper point, car sits too low to try & hang it on a hinge underneath, and you just can't easily see it mounted on the lower air dam.
Don't know why Ontario has not seen the light & gotten rid of the front plate, but I would not expect anything out of Dalton's gang that actually made any common or financial sense.
Beer Me !

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm

@snowman:

Yeah the front plate rule seems silly to me too...
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

applicant349
Rookie Member

Postby applicant349 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:20 pm

i think pickup truck owners might object to not having a front plate...i see many of them drive around without valid tags here in ontario. I dont know if any police officers here have caught onto that yet but definitely take a look next time you're out (for those that don't know our val tags go on the front plate rather than the back plate like on cars &suvs)
CSC:
applied: april 2011
in-house: november 18, 2011

IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby IrishCanadian » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm

applicant349 wrote:i think pickup truck owners might object to not having a front plate...i see many of them drive around without valid tags here in ontario. I dont know if any police officers here have caught onto that yet but definitely take a look next time you're out (for those that don't know our val tags go on the front plate rather than the back plate like on cars &suvs)
Yeahhhh....good thing you told the police officers that little factoid. They had no idea.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev

GoodWitness
Poobah Overlord

Postby GoodWitness » Thu May 26, 2011 9:43 am

Hey Snowman, look into the 3M automotive adhesive tape - it is extremely strong and durable, it's used to hold on all sorts of automotive trim these days - and has been for over 30 years, OEM and aftermarket. I'm sure you could work out some sort of mount that would accept a reasonable amount of the tape, and it won't be coming off any time soon.
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en00 ... utput_html

TwE@k
King Poobah

Postby TwE@k » Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 am

Snowman, I have a buddy that built a metal tray that bolts to the underside of the front lip on his car and has a small bracket that sticks out for his plat to mount to. It is a massive pain in the @ss but it looks ok and he didn't have to drill out the bumper. Just a thought.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Snowman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Snowman » Sun May 29, 2011 8:14 am

TwE@k wrote:Snowman, I have a buddy that built a metal tray that bolts to the underside of the front lip on his car and has a small bracket that sticks out for his plat to mount to. It is a massive pain in the @ss but it looks ok and he didn't have to drill out the bumper. Just a thought.

Before I drill the front I may look at something like that, the plastic front plate holder is silghtly curved, so the plate actually will try & pull it straight, with only 3 small mounting posts, double sided tape really won't work, not enough surface area to secure it. I'll get more time next week to look into mounting something to the air dam & bring it forward, just not a lot of structure under the nose of these cars. Not really driving it right now, so not a big deal for another week or so. Have other cars to get out of the garage & get ready for the summer season if it ever quits raining. :((
Beer Me !

warden602
King Poobah

Postby warden602 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:54 pm

I saw a DeLorean yesterday in Whitehorse. Looked to be a daily driver too. Hope the guy also owns a Civic and a tow truck.

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Tue May 31, 2011 7:04 pm

warden602 wrote:I saw a DeLorean yesterday in Whitehorse. Looked to be a daily driver too. Hope the guy also owns a Civic and a tow truck.
I hope he owns a flux capacitor.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

warden602
King Poobah

Postby warden602 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 pm

Toonces wrote:
warden602 wrote:I saw a DeLorean yesterday in Whitehorse. Looked to be a daily driver too. Hope the guy also owns a Civic and a tow truck.
I hope he owns a flux capacitor.
With the price of gas, I'd hope he has a Mr. Fusion too

Tommy
King Poobah

Postby Tommy » Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

I hope someone videotapes it when he gets it up to 88mph
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

MountieBrat
Rookie Member

Postby MountieBrat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:56 pm

I drive a PC about 90 percent of the time and the odd time I drive my RX8 or my yamy R1

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 am

Snowman wrote: Just be my luck Ontario will get rid of the front plate after the next election, one can only hope. Looked at every possibility not to drill holes, but there is just no where else to mount it than on the front bumper point, car sits too low to try & hang it on a hinge underneath, and you just can't easily see it mounted on the lower air dam.
Don't know why Ontario has not seen the light & gotten rid of the front plate, but I would not expect anything out of Dalton's gang that actually made any common or financial sense.

Hey, I've got a better idea - let's just get rid of BOTH plates! They look ugly and I have to bolt it on to the shiny back bumper of my truck. Ugh!

I don't understand this argument. License plates are there to visually identify a vehicle. If you dump the front plate, then you've just lost half the use of that plate. You may as well get rid of the rear one too, then, for all the good it'll do the public and police. The fiscal savings of getting rid of just the front plate are minimal. It also adds a reflective surface to the front of the car which increases safety when your car is parked. Not too many front-end reflectors on a sports car.

A plate only costs a few dollars. That's like.... 30 seconds worth of fuel in you car.

Snowman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Snowman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:26 pm

mark y wrote:
Snowman wrote: Just be my luck Ontario will get rid of the front plate after the next election, one can only hope. Looked at every possibility not to drill holes, but there is just no where else to mount it than on the front bumper point, car sits too low to try & hang it on a hinge underneath, and you just can't easily see it mounted on the lower air dam.

Hey, I've got a better idea - let's just get rid of BOTH plates! They look ugly and I have to bolt it on to the shiny back bumper of my truck. Ugh!

I don't understand this argument. License plates are there to visually identify a vehicle. If you dump the front plate, then you've just lost half the use of that plate. You may as well get rid of the rear one too, then, for all the good it'll do the public and police. The fiscal savings of getting rid of just the front plate are minimal. It also adds a reflective surface to the front of the car which increases safety when your car is parked. Not too many front-end reflectors on a sports car.

A plate only costs a few dollars. That's like.... 30 seconds worth of fuel in you car.

:ponder: w is your problem ? imo front plates detract from a vehicles styling and function, critically as cars get smaller and front license plate location is an after thought at best. Most Canadian Provinces & Territories do not require or have front plates on vehicles. Your truck is designed for a rear plate as all vehicles are, and technically there is no reason a light duty truck or SUV should not have the validation tags on the back plate the same as passenger cars other than the law has not kept up with the times. In the end I had to drill the holes for the plate mount because that was the only way to mount it, damn shame to put holes in the front of a collector car with original paint, but can't fight city hall nor count on backwards Ontario to do anything progressive rather than punative. If the car had actually been designed for a front plate I would not have had any issue installing it in the first place.

Front plates detract from vehicle styling

Steve Russell/TORONTO STAR
Ferrari licence plate at a Ferrari Rally in Newmarket, September 16, 2001.
Joel Cohen

A reader wrote to me recently and asked, “Are front licence plates mandatory in Ontario?” We hear this query often — especially when consumers are picking up a new vehicle from our dealership.

Occasionally, new owners will request that we remove or do not install the front plate when prepping their vehicle for delivery. New car dealers do not have this discretion and will not agree to do this.

Interestingly, among the many new-car advertisements published by manufacturers in last week’s Wheels section, only a couple were shown with a front plate.

Our province requires that all passenger vehicles have front and rear plates. Both plates must be plainly visible at all times. This provincial requirement law dates back to 1903.

If you drive without a front or rear plate, you are effectively breaking the law and could be fined. Sometimes, when drivers are caught without a front licence plate, they are given a warning, but don’t count on it. Driving without a rear plate, which also contains the renewal licence sticker, is a more serious offence.

Passenger vehicles don’t really need two licence plates, and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MOT) should follow the lead of nine out of 13 of Canada’s provinces and territories that no longer require a front plate.

Many automobile designs are compromised by having a licence plate stuck onto the front bumper or grille along with a mounting bracket that’s often an afterthought.

Designers agree that the most important styling element of an automobile is its frontal appearance. That is what defines the marque (brand) and gives vehicle design its individuality.

It should be noted that all automobiles are designed to accommodate rear plates, often in a recess moulded in the trunk sheet metal or on the rear bumper. However, in jurisdictions that mandate them, the front plate and its mounting bracket always look stuck-on.

Eliminating front plates (and the costs of production, storage and accounting) could save the province money. Saskatchewan saves an estimated $370,000 per year by not requiring a front plate. In Ontario, the savings would be in the millions.

Some might argue that a front licence plate is necessary for photo radar and electronic toll roads. Not so. Photo radar and toll-road cameras capture the rear licence plate.

Another reason to legislate the removal of the front plate has to do with vehicle efficiency. In some instances, a front licence plate compromises the vehicle’s aerodynamics; and efficiency can be further compromised by restricted airflow into the engine.

Plus, the annual licence renewal stickers on passenger vehicles are affixed to the rear licence plate, not the front.

In Ontario, licence plates actually belong to the provincial government; they are issued for an annual fee. If you alter the actual plate (cutting it down in size to make it fit into the lower part of the grille) or obscure it in any way, you may be breaking the law.

I understand that for most motorists and car enthusiasts, a front plate is more of an eyesore than a hot-button issue. But enough car buyers have raised this point over the years that it’s an issue that could easily be addressed by the MOT.

If you would like to see the government put an end to the “two licence plate” requirement in this province, write to your local MPP or to Kathleen Wynne, Ontario Minister of Transportation, 3rd Floor, Ferguson Block, 77 Wellesley St. West, Toronto, Ont., M7A 1Z8.

This column represents the view of TADA. Email president@tada.ca or visit tada.ca

Joel Cohen, president of the Toronto Automobile Dealers Association, is a new car dealer in the GTA
Beer Me !