Commuting Distance

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.

How Many KM's One-Way to Work?

0-10
79
32%
10-20
43
18%
20-30
32
13%
30-50
42
17%
50-75
15
6%
75-100
13
5%
100+
21
9%
 
Total votes: 245

User avatar
Mark S
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 4365
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby Mark S » Tue May 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:1976-05-11 / 10-15: 1 flight of stairs down, or 15 feet from the foot of my bed;
1976-10-16 / 1977-08-29: 15 feet from the foot of my bed;
1977-08-30 / 1980-06-29: a short ride with the shift going off work to about a 10 minute drive in my own car;
1980-07-01 / 1985-06-30: out to my driveway or a 4 block walk;
1985-07-01 / 2010-12-29:
Pete Broccolo wrote:10.5 minute walk most of the year, 13 if the snow is bad.
;
2011-01-13 / 07-12: a short ride with the shift going off work to about a 20 minute walk;
2011-10-06 / 12-02 & 2012-03-28 / 04-27: 135 km one-way daily commute;
2011-12-05 / 03-25: 8 minute drive;
2012-04-30 on: 10 minute drive.

You need a hobby.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue May 15, 2012 4:45 pm

Mark S wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:1976-05-11 / 10-15: 1 flight of stairs down, or 15 feet from the foot of my bed;
1976-10-16 / 1977-08-29: 15 feet from the foot of my bed;
1977-08-30 / 1980-06-29: a short ride with the shift going off work to about a 10 minute drive in my own car;
1980-07-01 / 1985-06-30: out to my driveway or a 4 block walk;
1985-07-01 / 2010-12-29:
Pete Broccolo wrote:10.5 minute walk most of the year, 13 if the snow is bad.
;
2011-01-13 / 07-12: a short ride with the shift going off work to about a 20 minute walk;
2011-10-06 / 12-02 & 2012-03-28 / 04-27: 135 km one-way daily commute;
2011-12-05 / 03-25: 8 minute drive;
2012-04-30 on: 10 minute drive.

You need a hobby.

I have one - keeping you busy on BL.ca; admit it - you miss me on GroupWise!!

Besides, I am killin' time while my Mom is dialyzing and I can't visit her.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

User avatar
SierraSeven
King Poobah
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby SierraSeven » Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Going from 40km one way to 110km one way.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby gotchya » Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 pm

SierraSeven wrote:Going from 40km one way to 110km one way.

All for a new holster...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

User avatar
Bubbles1993
Regular Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: NS
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby Bubbles1993 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 pm

gotchya wrote:
SierraSeven wrote:Going from 40km one way to 110km one way.

All for a new holster...


...but no bloody stamp.

My commute is now 1 km. Only had to transfer 1200 km's.
To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
klink1983
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:51 am
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby klink1983 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 pm

SupahDuck wrote:
klink1983 wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:550m walking along the sidewalk, according to Google Maps directions..... but I cut across the Olympic Harbour marina parking lot, so it's a bit shorter than that.

I can see the Dome of KP from my front porch..... one of the reasons I chose to work there..... don't have to invest in a second vehicle for the commute.

Even if it's 30 below outside, it's still only a four minute walk. :thumbsup: Just enough time for a smoke. :D


I wish....


Not for much longer.... our commutes are all getting potentially a LOT longer.... some of the numbers that are being thrown around aren't looking too good....


The numbers aren't good in many different areas....budget wise of course.....
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.....

User avatar
SierraSeven
King Poobah
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby SierraSeven » Thu May 24, 2012 10:28 pm

gotchya wrote:
SierraSeven wrote:Going from 40km one way to 110km one way.

All for a new holster...

That and much more :thumbsup:
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

DSTYLE
Rookie Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:08 pm
Location: ...
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby DSTYLE » Fri May 25, 2012 4:40 pm

-1999 to 2003: 48km round trip
-2003 to 2006: 8km round trip
-2006 to 2008: 282km round trip
-2008 to present: 64km round trip.

smitty44
Seasoned Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: Eastern Ontario
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby smitty44 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:34 pm

I am 190km round trip per shift......been doing it for 9 years, used to it, my first year was on a res, so I was 1 min from Station.

User avatar
Technobabbler
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby Technobabbler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 pm

New job is 110 km one way. Good weather takes me 1 hour 15 minutes. So far the record in bad weather was just over 2 hours 20 minutes. I hate the 400.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby FedCO » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:23 am

Technobabbler wrote:New job is 110 km one way. Good weather takes me 1 hour 15 minutes. So far the record in bad weather was just over 2 hours 20 minutes. I hate the 400.


Holy hell lol. I hope you drive a diesel,etc.

User avatar
Sly
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby Sly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:39 am

4 minute walk, 6 minutes if I catch the train and have to go under the tunnel or if the CN fella is around :smirk:

User avatar
ryan.p
Rookie Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby ryan.p » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm

850 meters. :o
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

User avatar
Technobabbler
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby Technobabbler » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:09 am

FedCO wrote:
Technobabbler wrote:New job is 110 km one way. Good weather takes me 1 hour 15 minutes. So far the record in bad weather was just over 2 hours 20 minutes. I hate the 400.


Holy hell lol. I hope you drive a diesel,etc.


2004 Diesel Golf, frigging engine is a tank and won't die. I've been debating on trying to find a room to rent to sleep at between 2 of the shifts. We do a 4 on 4 off (2 days, 2 nights). I won't be starting that shift till May though.

User avatar
super_sonic
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Siberia . . . feels like it at least
Contact:

Re: Commuting Distance

Postby super_sonic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Technobabbler wrote:
FedCO wrote:
Technobabbler wrote:New job is 110 km one way. Good weather takes me 1 hour 15 minutes. So far the record in bad weather was just over 2 hours 20 minutes. I hate the 400.


Holy hell lol. I hope you drive a diesel,etc.


2004 Diesel Golf, frigging engine is a tank and won't die. I've been debating on trying to find a room to rent to sleep at between 2 of the shifts. We do a 4 on 4 off (2 days, 2 nights). I won't be starting that shift till May though.



I just bought a Golf this year (love it!), it's gas though. I'm not too crazy about diesels to be honest. I guess it's good if you do a lot of highway driving but the earlier diesels all sound like crap. I know the newer ones are quieter and have a lot more power but . . . yeah

One thing that annoys me though is when people ask "is that a diesel?!" and when I tell them it's not, then they look at me like I made a fucked up decision.
"Smooth seas don't make skilled sailors"

- African Proverb


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest